X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You know my opinion. If they have six home games in a season I'd vote for four of them to be on Thursday nights.

​​​​Those are the only good atmospheres in the funeral parlor known as Miller Stadium.

I've long thought D2 should try to take over Thursday night. We will never, ever compete with D1 football for viewers.

The crowds are much more lively, etc. And, God forbid, students even attend.
    A lot of schools love them, but Thursday games hurt attendance at Pitt, so I prefer Saturday games.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

You know my opinion. If they have six home games in a season I'd vote for four of them to be on Thursday nights.

​​​​Those are the only good atmospheres in the funeral parlor known as Miller Stadium.

I've long thought D2 should try to take over Thursday night. We will never, ever compete with D1 football for viewers.

Thursday night P-saction

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It is kind of a no brainer. They should have agreed to make them all Thursday night games when they signed the contract.

Maybe they did and can't actually announce it. I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    While we suspected it, the Ashland game is now confirmed on Thursday night.

Ashland has a tremendous stadium. I'd venture to say it is one of the nicest D2 facilities in the country.

There's no track so you are really close to the action. If you plan on doing a road trip this upcoming season this is a good one.

IUP took a nice crowd out there in 2018. There are nice tailgate lots and a couple nice bar/restaurants close by.
    It is kind of a no brainer. They should have agreed to make them all Thursday night games when they signed the contract.

Maybe they did and can't actually announce it. I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    While we suspected it, the Ashland game is now confirmed on Thursday night.

Ashland has a tremendous stadium. I'd venture to say it is one of the nicest D2 facilities in the country.

There's no track so you are really close to the action. If you plan on doing a road trip this upcoming season this is a good one.

IUP took a nice crowd out there in 2018. There are nice tailgate lots and a couple nice bar/restaurants close by.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

My guess is he got a good class. As I said, many of the perceived 'big boys' in the PSAC took pretty small high school classes. That in itself should have left a lot of quality players available.

Of course, signing them is the first step. Getting them to Senior Day (at Ship) is the next challenge.
    He seemed to concentrate on staying closer to home this time as they've let some good players from our area get away in recent years. I suspect you might see a little more of this in basketball as well, although I'm sure Fite will continue to look for players in western Pa. and elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I think Mac was to the point of having to do something after the past couple of years and to his credit he and his staff by all accounts went out and got the work done. We'll see how it works out. I don't expect big things next season, but it would be nice if some of these guys stick around and eventually get us back to overall competitiveness.
    My guess is he got a good class. As I said, many of the perceived 'big boys' in the PSAC took pretty small high school classes. That in itself should have left a lot of quality players available.

Of course, signing them is the first step. Getting them to Senior Day (at Ship) is the next challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Yeah a big number will either stay as Ship students or just move along. Football is great at this level for dangling the carrot. Consider about 70 percent of our teams pay their own way. Hell, I'd sign 300 if possible. Dangle that carrot.
    I think Mac was to the point of having to do something after the past couple of years and to his credit he and his staff by all accounts went out and got the work done. We'll see how it works out. I don't expect big things next season, but it would be nice if some of these guys stick around and eventually get us back to overall competitiveness.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

Stewart won't be second fiddle. He'll be the starter. This is his team now. Not the other way around.
    Stewart is a damn good back. The backups are good too. That was the whole point in I just didn't understand the need for another really good RB, especially one with 1 year eligibility left. I just don't understand it, why would Monaco go somewhere where he's going to be more than likely a special teams returner and 3rd down back for the most part? Perhaps winning was the most important thing to him and he doesn't care about the touches. That would be rare but losing can have that effect i guess.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Speaking of big rosters, I had counted 51 names on the Shippensburg spring roster prior to signing day. At last count, Mac's incoming class was up to 48 players, by far his largest ever. I think it's safe to say there will be some movement on the Raiders' roster in the coming season.
    Yeah a big number will either stay as Ship students or just move along. Football is great at this level for dangling the carrot. Consider about 70 percent of our teams pay their own way. Hell, I'd sign 300 if possible. Dangle that carrot.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

So you think Stewart is going to be "cool" with being 2nd fiddle then? After being the guy for the last couple years...

Agree completely on line depth, there should be no end to adding to either of those position groups. Region 1 isn't lacking in depth at the skill positions, it's just up front.
    Stewart won't be second fiddle. He'll be the starter. This is his team now. Not the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

No doubt more the merrier.

My point was I think some other positions were in need of said depth (in particular you can always use more on either line).

I'm sure the Bloom RB is going to have a big season. I just worry about line depth.

End of the day Tort is working a salary cap. That's a lot of coin tied up in RBs.
    So you think Stewart is going to be "cool" with being 2nd fiddle then? After being the guy for the last couple years...

Agree completely on line depth, there should be no end to adding to either of those position groups. Region 1 isn't lacking in depth at the skill positions, it's just up front.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

We talk about not having the depth to compete with out-of-region powers then we get depth and we talk about keeping everybody happy. Know what I'm saying?

IUP has traditionally sought to be 4 deep at RB. Basically, if the 4 are the players I am thinking of, we have 2 elite RB's (whose styles are different, BTW) and 2 guys with a lot of experience for "depth", if that is the appropriate word.

Also, the "unhappy" theme assumes that the players are me first rather than team players. I don't think that is true.

Also, don't overlook the FB types they have back there if they choose to use them.
    I don't think RB depth is the type of depth anyone was referring to when competing with the out of region powers. IMO, the depth is strictly in the trenches and that is where our region falls short. I also don't know how you could say that the "unhappy" theme might not apply. That room is now upperclassmen and has been in it through unhappy times. Can't say either way.

I think you guys wasted scholarship money on a position you really didn't need. Of course this is based on who we think is coming back, so maybe we don't have the full picture here.

Don't overlook the FB types? You guys certainly don't use them as a threat, so unless that is all of a sudden going to change, I'll overlook it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

We talk about not having the depth to compete with out-of-region powers then we get depth and we talk about keeping everybody happy. Know what I'm saying?

IUP has traditionally sought to be 4 deep at RB. Basically, if the 4 are the players I am thinking of, we have 2 elite RB's (whose styles are different, BTW) and 2 guys with a lot of experience for "depth", if that is the appropriate word.

Also, the "unhappy" theme assumes that the players are me first rather than team players. I don't think that is true.

Also, don't overlook the FB types they have back there if they choose to use them.
    No doubt more the merrier.

My point was I think some other positions were in need of said depth (in particular you can always use more on either line).

I'm sure the Bloom RB is going to have a big season. I just worry about line depth.

End of the day Tort is working a salary cap. That's a lot of coin tied up in RBs.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I'm sure all 4 starting caliber backs will be thrilled to get 5-8 carries a game and not whine about it...

I get that you can never have enough backs, but it just doesn't make sense to me to bring in the Bloom RB. That room is just never going to be satisfied and you guys don't need the bickering. Feel like its just a scab that is going to get scratched.

Plus on top of that, the way you guys have touted and loaded up on some very talented WR's... are you a running team or a passing team? Just seems like neither part of your extensive weapons are ever going to be happy. In the couple games I watched your QB, it seemed he's most comfortable in the quick game and using his feet as a threat. Is the offensive system creative and flexible enough to keep all these weapons happy?

Last edited by iupgroundhog; 02-21-2024, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X