Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it's a longshot because there are probably a lot of hurdles to overcome in a short period of time (not to mention, the risk of more bruised egos in Bridgeport), but presuming that Frostburg somehow manages to join the PSAC next season. We might have a little bit of a scheduling issue...

Frostburg is set to open the 2024 season at home against Millersville on Sept. 5. Millersville was set to host Mercyhurst on Sept. 14. Presuming Frostburg ends up taking Mercyhurst's spot in the PSAC West, that might cause a scheduling issue since I doubt Millersville - or any school for that matter - would want to open the season against the same opponent.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

And, now that I've looked at a map, it actually makes more geographic sense to put Frostburg in the PSAC West to replace Mercyhurst, much in the same way Shepherd took Cheyney's spot in the PSAC East. The more I think about it, though, it would make more sense from a basketball standpoint to go to a three-division scheme in the long-term, but we all seem to know how coaches felt about that idea when it was first approached about 10 years ago.
      It's still crazy to me that a conference with one of the smallest geographical footprints in D2 doesn't do a complete round robin in sports where the season is long enough. Three divisions in basketball would allow for that.

But at least basketball and football have cross-division play, unlike every other PSAC sport that has divisions... as a bracketologist, there's nothing quite like trying to compare two teams in the same conference and finding out that they don't even have any common opponents.

Comment

I know it's a longshot because there are probably a lot of hurdles to overcome in a short period of time (not to mention, the risk of more bruised egos in Bridgeport), but presuming that Frostburg somehow manages to join the PSAC next season. We might have a little bit of a scheduling issue...

Frostburg is set to open the 2024 season at home against Millersville on Sept. 5. Millersville was set to host Mercyhurst on Sept. 14. Presuming Frostburg ends up taking Mercyhurst's spot in the PSAC West, that might cause a scheduling issue since I doubt Millersville - or any school for that matter - would want to open the season against the same opponent.
        Frostburg could just play Wheeling in non-conference instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Frostburg could just play Wheeling in non-conference instead.
          Considering that the MEC schools have pretty much frozen Shepherd out as far as non-conference play is concerned, I don't think you're going to see MEC schools embracing a non-con game with Frostburg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

It's still crazy to me that a conference with one of the smallest geographical footprints in D2 doesn't do a complete round robin in sports where the season is long enough. Three divisions in basketball would allow for that.

But at least basketball and football have cross-division play, unlike every other PSAC sport that has divisions... as a bracketologist, there's nothing quite like trying to compare two teams in the same conference and finding out that they don't even have any common opponents.
            I recall a proposal for basketball to move to three divisions about 10 years ago, though the coaches resoundingly rejected the plan. Unfortunately, I can't find the minutes for that meeting, but that was my recollection.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Frostburg is much more "west" than Shippensburg. They're a pretty simple 45 minute drive south of Somerset.
              Frostburg from a travel standpoint would make much more sense in the West than Shippensburg.

Driving distance to PSAC West venues:

IUP — Frostburg, 94 miles; Shippensburg, 159

Slippery Rock — Frostburg, 151 miles, Shippensburg 217

California — Frostburg, 74 miles, Shippensburg, 164

Seton Hill — Frostburg, 80 miles, Shippensburg, 145

Edinboro — Frostburg, 210 miles, Shippensburg, 276

Clarion — Frostburg, 164 miles, Shippensburg 168

Erie (Gannon) — Frostburg, 228 miles, Shippensburg 294

Johnstown — Frostburg, 66 miles, Shippensburg, 105

Comment

Considering that the MEC schools have pretty much frozen Shepherd out as far as non-conference play is concerned, I don't think you're going to see MEC schools embracing a non-con game with Frostburg.
                Especially not if Frostburg decides they want to move to the PSAC immediately, with the MEC football schedule already finalized and posted on the MEC website

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
                  Hurst will play football in the fall. Problem is psac iscon year 1 on 2 year schedule cycle. 2025 there are issues. Can be resolved with Frostburg who could fit in nicely in the West or East.
                  They could at least play some of their Pee Sack games…and not be completely rude.

Typical arrogant private school…,

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

They could at least play some of their Pee Sack games…and not be completely rude.

Typical arrogant private school…,
                    It was kind of rude of them to make this announcement in April and not earlier in the year so teams aren't blindsided.

Comment

It was kind of rude of them to make this announcement in April and not earlier in the year so teams aren't blindsided.
                      Luckily I think all the West teams have a Week 1 non-conference game. If not, that would be a major problem (playing just 9 games).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Luckily I think all the West teams have a Week 1 non-conference game. If not, that would be a major problem (playing just 9 games).
                        It looks as though everyone in the PSAC has a Week 0 or Week 1 non-conference game (ESU is the only one that isn't finalized). With the addition of Week 0 games, maybe there's a chance that the PSAC West schools (plus the three cross-over East schools) could have an easier time filling that spot vacated by Mercyhurst.

Comment

It looks as though everyone in the PSAC has a Week 0 or Week 1 non-conference game (ESU is the only one that isn't finalized). With the addition of Week 0 games, maybe there's a chance that the PSAC West schools (plus the three cross-over East schools) could have an easier time filling that spot vacated by Mercyhurst.
                          In theory (due to Week 0) couldn't, say, SRU and Cal agree to play twice (just to fill the spot)?

Granted, I know those two probably wouldn't want to play each other twice. But, they could play in Week 0 as a non-conference game, correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

In theory (due to Week 0) couldn't, say, SRU and Cal agree to play twice (just to fill the spot)?

Granted, I know those two probably wouldn't want to play each other twice. But, they could play in Week 0 as a non-conference game, correct?
                            In theory, they could (the NE-10 commonly does this where there's a home-and-home with only one game counting in the NE-10 standings); in reality, why would you want to make that mistake?

Comment

In theory, they could (the NE-10 commonly does this where there's a home-and-home with only one game counting in the NE-10 standings); in reality, why would you want to make that mistake?
                              I guess some schools -- SRU, for example -- draw exceptionally well early in the season. Getting an extra home game with 8,000 people is a lot of extra revenue for SRU.

Even IUP draws well in September.

Comment

• IUP will now have a BYE week the week before they host the State Game this coming season.

I mean it probably still would have been a BYE week playing The Lake Show but if I'm Torts...I'm not playing that week and getting the troops refreshed.
                                Last edited by IUPNation; 04-04-2024, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X