X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: Softball

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Down 7-3 in top of 6th

Yeah. I quit following the stats after Kingsville batted in the 6th. Abrams just doesn't have the pitching.

Comment

And Tarleton falls to Cameron 5-7

Comment

WT is playing OK Christian now. No video again.

https://javelinaathletics.com/sidear...l/play-by-play

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
          WT is playing OK Christian now. No video again.

https://javelinaathletics.com/sidear...l/play-by-play
          No video on the Baseball side of the house either! Buffalo Chip, tell then to get it together up in Canyon!!!

Comment

NO STATS. PENNY-ANTE BS ON WT's part!

Comment

Originally posted by Javelina Alum View Post
              NO STATS. PENNY-ANTE BS ON WT's part!
              Rain delay

Comment

Originally posted by Javelina Alum View Post
                No video on the Baseball side of the house either! Buffalo Chip, tell then to get it together up in Canyon!!!
                Ummmmm, Canyon dropped the ball in a MAJOR way as a host both soiftball and baseball. I guess too much pressure???

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                  Ummmmm, Canyon dropped the ball in a MAJOR way as a host both soiftball and baseball. I guess too much pressure???
                  Nah, we close the deal in Commerce. Pressure will bust a weak pipe though.

Comment

Oklahoma Christian ends WT's season, 7-5. Lair fell apart in the 4th inning, hitting 2 batters and giving up 5 runs.

It's a shame a little bad weather eliminates the video coverage. I know we are D2, but a kid with a cell phone would have been a better option today.

Comment

32-15 for the Lady Buffs is a very poor year. Expectations for the program which won the national championship in 2014 are much higher than the results it achieved this year or last year. WT loses Moore and Starkey. Hmmm. I wonder if Abrams has the program on the right track. Some of her coaching decisions or non-decisions this season were real head-scratchers.

The question is how much confidence the AD has in the future of Lady Buff softball with Abrams at the helm. Unless Abrams goes out and recruits a real stud in the circle (or two), I wouldn't expect any better next season, maybe worse with the loss of Starkey. Is mediocrity, compared to previous WT seasons, the new standard for WT softball? Look at what the new guy at Kingsville did virtually overnight. I wonder what kind of coach WT could find with a national search. What WT offers in facilities, salaries, staff, and tradition should make it one of the best jobs in all of D2. Is a change called for? Does Abrams get one more year to return WT softball to the heights is enjoyed for 8 or 9 years? Decisions like that are why the AD gets the big bucks.

If I were the AD I'd be closely looking at my options.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                        32-15 for the Lady Buffs is a very poor year. Expectations for the program which won the national championship in 2014 are much higher than the results it achieved this year or last year. WT loses Moore and Starkey. Hmmm. I wonder if Abrams has the program on the right track. Some of her coaching decisions or non-decisions this season were real head-scratchers.

The question is how much confidence the AD has in the future of Lady Buff softball with Abrams at the helm. Unless Abrams goes out and recruits a real stud in the circle (or two), I wouldn't expect any better next season, maybe worse with the loss of Starkey. Is mediocrity, compared to previous WT seasons, the new standard for WT softball? Look at what the new guy at Kingsville did virtually overnight. I wonder what kind of coach WT could find with a national search. What WT offers in facilities, salaries, staff, and tradition should make it one of the best jobs in all of D2. Is a change called for? Does Abrams get one more year to return WT softball to the heights is enjoyed for 8 or 9 years? Decisions like that are why the AD gets the big bucks.

If I were the AD I'd be closely looking at my options.
                        It's very unlikely they will fire someone that won almost 70% of her games this season. However, unless the pitchers you mention are found, as well as some good hitters, I don't see the team winning more than half of their games next year.

I looked over the batting averages of the starters, and except for Moore, they were all lower than last year. McBroom and Cordell started the season with long slumps. Starkey's ERA was a lot higher than the year before. Transfer Vessels is pretty good at 2nd base, but hits under .200. Most of the bench players need to be released - I was stunned that some of them were invited back this year.

We lost a lot of good players last year. Van Gurp was our leading hitter, Hardin, Smith, and Mclemore all had good averages. We got 2 new good freshman, Salzman and Huggins, but the latter was on the bench half time while others with MUCH worse stats played regularly. Pitchers were left in too long after faltering, like both games yesterday. Coveneny had proven effective from the circle, but was almost never used.

Now we lose Starkey, my favorite player, Moore, and Coveney. So, all we need next year are MANY better players who can make good grades, and better coaching. I hope the coaching staff will review their decisions during the off season and learn from them.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                          It's very unlikely they will fire someone that won almost 70% of her games this season. However, unless the pitchers you mention are found, as well as some good hitters, I don't see the team winning more than half of their games next year.

I looked over the batting averages of the starters, and except for Moore, they were all lower than last year. McBroom and Cordell started the season with long slumps. Starkey's ERA was a lot higher than the year before. Transfer Vessels is pretty good at 2nd base, but hits under .200. Most of the bench players need to be released - I was stunned that some of them were invited back this year.

We lost a lot of good players last year. Van Gurp was our leading hitter, Hardin, Smith, and Mclemore all had good averages. We got 2 new good freshman, Salzman and Huggins, but the latter was on the bench half time while others with MUCH worse stats played regularly. Pitchers were left in too long after faltering, like both games yesterday. Coveneny had proven effective from the circle, but was almost never used.

Now we lose Starkey, my favorite player, Moore, and Coveney. So, all we need next year are MANY better players who can make good grades, and better coaching. I hope the coaching staff will review their decisions during the off season and learn from them.
                          You outlined the season and where softball is at quite well. Just because Abrams won 70% of her games, so what? Is that the new benchmark for Lady Buff softball? I'd say anything less than 80% in the win column is unacceptable at WT. More like 85% minimum. There should be NO excuses for the drop off.

She's had two seasons after taking over a national powerhouse. I just don't see the spark. The grit. The confidence. Personally, I see decline without hope for future improvement that will return the program back to the heights it knew. How long will WT softball be allowed to wander in the wilderness?

That's a vote of "no confidence" from this fan. I think WT can do better.
                          Last edited by BuffaloChip; 05-11-2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                            I just don't see the spark. The grit. The confidence. Personally, I see decline without hope for future improvement that will return the program back to the heights it knew.
                            We agree on this much. The Eye of the Tiger has been closed for a while.

Comment

Cameron came out raking in game 1 today and won 13-9.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                                Cameron came out raking in game 1 today and won 13-9.
                                Wow, I am not sure what you mean about "raking" but I see Cameron also took the second game 6-5.

Cameron is a scary team. In our championship year we led them 8-0. They won 9-8. Who did they defeat? Rita Hokianga, Hannah Newcomb, and Tori Bayer, three of our best pitchers ever. I believe they got all 9 runs in the final inning.

Great season for Commerce!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X