Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: Softball

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    A lot of inexperienced coaches get caught up in playing favorites and not doing what is best to get the W. Personality clashes or the player isn't a good a brown noser can keep them off the field. Its easy to hide less talented players on a softball / baseball field. Its subjective!! Who I think might be the better player may not necessarily be the opinion of the next person. I managed baseball for some years until I was burnt out. It is a game of statistics so I always played the players who statistics were better for that situation or game. Usually the better hitters started the game and if the team had a lead late the better fielders came into game.
    Yep... Yep... Yep and Yep.

A few years ago on our local high school team, we had a kid who had to batting in .100's stay in the lineup the whole darn season and never, ever get pulled. He also committed a few errors on the field and wouldn't get pulled for those while others could commit an error which may of may not had an impact on the game and they were pulled on the spot. Turns out the kid in question parents and one of the assistants are long time friends going back to childhood and the dads played ball together. All of that explained why our team's stats were not published in the paper along with the other district leaders nor available on sites like Gamechanger. Sad thing is he made all district too which should tell you the honor is no longer seriously taken by the coaches. FRICKEN SAD!
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 04-01-2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
      One last note that I saw too many coaches do with their batting line ups. For some the line up is set in concrete and doesn't change. We used an overall season average plus their last 5 games average to make our line up. It moved players up and down the line up and kept things competitive. Good luck the rest of the way
      I can understand why this is done at the pro and even college levels where you have multiple games a week vs the high school level or lower where save for tourneys, it's a two game a week schedule. Batting averages are like a roller coasters for most players, but I would think at a high school level a coach would want to make that call to have the kid take a night off or move him/her down the lineup or use the DH in their slot after two or three games of a slump? I mean if you are losing two or even three games in some districts during district play and it's because of low production at the plate, your season could be sunk and no playoffs. Or getting in the 3rd or 4th playoff slot will guarantee it's sunk early in the post season because of playoff seeding.

Comment

WT sweeps ENMU -with some difficulty.

It's amazing what a girl can do when they let her off the bench.

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2019/4/6/...?path=softball

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
          WT sweeps ENMU -with some difficulty.

It's amazing what a girl can do when they let her off the bench.

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2019/4/6/...?path=softball
          :good::good::good:

Comment

Originally posted by ras619 View Post
            :good::good::good:
            I've watched about 25 games online this year. Many of the line-ups and in-game coaching decisions (or non decisions) are baffling at best.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
              I've watched about 25 games online this year. Many of the line-ups and in-game coaching decisions (or non decisions) are baffling at best.
              Maybe it doesn't count because it was a run-ruled game, but Lair pitched all 5 innings of the first game Saturday, giving up no hits or walks. She did hit a batter, but other than that it should be a no-hitter for her, and very nearly a perfect game.

Comment

Maybe it doesn't count because it was a run-ruled game, but Lair pitched all 5 innings of the first game Saturday, giving up no hits or walks. She did hit a batter, but other than that it should be a no-hitter for her, and very nearly a perfect game.
                From the WTSoftball Twitter:

Lady Buff Softball
                ?

@WTSoftball
                Apr 7
                More
                Lindsey Wright (2x)
                Shelbey Cockrell (2x)
                Marci Womack
                Rita Hokianga (2x)
                Kilee Halbert
                Kyra Lair

Here is a list of the 6 Lady Buffs who have thrown no-hitters. Lair jointed the list after holding ENMU without a hit while striking out a career-high 8.

Comment

We are 13th in the nation in one poll, but 4th in the LSC. I expect Tarleton to be a major challenge, so that may be generous.
                  https://fastpitchnews.com/scoreboard...12&l=NCAA%20D2

In the coaches' poll we are 7th in the nation, with Kingsville at 5th. I think they are being generous.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d2/nfca-coaches

For some reason WT has a bye week. Since we have had 5 canceled games, I thought they would arrange something.

Comment

We are 13th in the nation in one poll, but 4th in the LSC. I expect Tarleton to be a major challenge, so that may be generous.
                    https://fastpitchnews.com/scoreboard...12&l=NCAA%20D2

In the coaches' poll we are 7th in the nation, with Kingsville at 5th. I think they are being generous.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d2/nfca-coaches

For some reason WT has a bye week. Since we have had 5 canceled games, I thought they would arrange something.
                    Commerce is at Stephenville today & tomorrow. Our hitting has finally started to show improvement over the last 2 weeks. Emily Otto has been tremendous pitching - leads the country in wins & shutouts (or did, as of last weekend). If they can put the hitting together with the pitching they will be tough to beat.

Comment

Coming down to the wire to see who wins the conference and hosts the tournament.

Kingsville is at .782 winning percentage.
                      Commerce is 1/2 game back at .777.
                      WT is also 1/2 game back at .750.

Kingsville holds both tie breakers going 2- 1 vs WT and 3-0 vs Commerce.
                      WT holds the tiebreaker over Commerce going 2-1 at WT.
                      Last edited by JakeTAMUC; 04-13-2019, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Angelo beat Kingsville today. Top 3 teams all have 6 losses in conference.
                        Commerce has 3 lsc games left vs Cameron.
                        Kingsville has 6 lsc games left vs Midwestern and UTPB.
                        WT has 6 lsc games left vs Texas Womens and Tarleton.

Comment

are the playoffs double elimination?

Comment

Originally posted by exbuff72 View Post
                            No

Comment

Originally posted by exbuff72 View Post
                              Regional and further are double elimination. The conference tournament is not.

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X