Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Hey Pops,
    It's been brought up that Wagner would make a good hire at WT. I now he's applied. What do you think of Wagner as Hughes' replacement?
    Wag is a great guy! He is well liked by players. He has GREAT MORALS & VALUES. Is a strong family man. Works well with other coaches. Came from a phenomenal program and studied under the great Coach T.

I agree with much of what Rockofwesties stated.

I also agree, the 2014 Rams would dominate the 2022 LSC, Region 4, and probably win the natty. Only one thing stopped them in 2014, that CSUP beast of a team.

So, Wag WOULD be a good hire!

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

You were a classmate of Wagner.
      I was. Will was a grade year behind me. He graduated 1992. He won a 5A state championship at Permian.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Wag is a great guy! He is well liked by players. He has GREAT MORALS & VALUES. Is a strong family man. Works well with other coaches. Came from a phenomenal program and studied under the great Coach T.

I also agree, the 2014 Rams would dominate the 2022 LSC, Region 4, and probably win the natty. Only one thing stopped them in 2014, that CSUP beast of a team.

No on Wagner. Should have just kept Hughes if you take Wagner
        Josh Lynn if for nothing else another university thinks enough of him to throw more money at him

Comment

It would be a bit of a hard sell for the fan base to keep and promote an assistant on Hughes's staff. But I personally think it would be a much better situation for the program. Hughes handicapped his assistants too much from my view on the outside. It seemed like his way or no way so we didn't see the best of what they had to offer.

Comment

• Sell it by saying we’re getting a NWMSU National Championship trained coach

Comment

Pistol or Gun, most running plays are option based. But it is not an "Option" offense.
              They run the triple....they cut block, they read dive and pitch use motion to move defenders and run sweeps to the edge or counter underneath. They rely on quicker lineman and a mobile qb instead of brute strength.

The only differences is the shot gun.

Sure there are some alignment differences but the scheme goals are the same.
              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

They run the triple....they cut block, they read dive and pitch use motion to move defenders and run sweeps to the edge or counter underneath. They rely on quicker lineman and a mobile qb instead of brute strength.

The only differences is the shot gun.

Sure there are some alignment differences but the scheme goals are the same.
                Well, you initially said "gun" which is usually an 11 personnel offensive formation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post

It would be a bit of a hard sell for the fan base to keep and promote an assistant on Hughes's staff. But I personally think it would be a much better situation for the program. Hughes handicapped his assistants too much from my view on the outside. It seemed like his way or no way so we didn't see the best of what they had to offer.
                  No doubt Wagner would be an improvement but so would Nesbitt or even Martin. However I would prefer the ultimate house cleaning that includes the entire staff, AD, and president.

You can’t blame Wendler for the Nesbitt years.

Comment

• Justin Deason. We need to get him before Commerce does. Very good defensive guy and tremendous man of character

Comment

• Wasn’t Wagner fired from ASU during the season? What is the story on that?

Comment

Well, you initially said "gun" which is usually an 11 personnel offensive formation.
                        Ferris state does that, triple from the gun with 11 personel.

https://youtu.be/Lrmjm13YrQ4
                        I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Buff90 View Post
                          Justin Deason. We need to get him before Commerce does. Very good defensive guy and tremendous man of character
                          LOL. WT couldn't prevent Deason from taking the Commerce job if they wanted too.

Comment

• At the end of the day whoever WT hires needs to have previous head coaching experience and have the personality to bring back excitement to the program, fan base, and boosters.

If WT is not being funded to the full 36 scholarships that is where a high energy head coach could appeal to boosters to get there once again.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                              Wasn’t Wagner fired from ASU during the season? What is the story on that?
                              I believe then let him go after the season but then went on to play in a bowl game after letting him go.

Comment

• Originally posted by QB11111 View Post

I believe then let him go after the season but then went on to play in a bowl game after letting him go.
                                Almost correct.

Coach Wagner was fired almost at the end of the 2018 season after ASU beat ENMU, making them 6-4 up to that point in the season, following a three game winning streak.

ASU still had one more game left in the regular season (Commerce), which ASU lost, and subsequently went to a bowl game after that Commerce game, which ASU also lost to Central Oklahoma, finishing the year at 6-6.

Most people close to the program felt that halfway through the season that Wagner was in hot water, especially with a 3-4 record, but then ASU reeled off 3 straight wins to put the team at 6-4 going into the last regular season game at Commerce.

While it was a long shot to beat Commerce in that final game, if it did happen and then if ASU won that bowl game they would have been 8-4 on the year, and that would have made it pretty awkward to fire a coach that just went 8-4 with a bowl win.

I think the potential of ASU winning out and making the season look half way decent was the reason the administration fired him following a three game winning streak and after winning the ENMU game.

The timing of his firing was pretty shocking to those on the team, the coaching staff, and those close to the team that were not in the decision making process.

Note: This is not based on anything that anyone within or outside of the program has told me; just my observations, from fairly close range.
                                Last edited by texcap; 12-06-2022, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X