Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head coach Glogowski has done a fantastic job putting an experienced quality staff together. I don't foresee a letdown in product on the field in 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
      Head coach Glogowski has done a fantastic job putting an experienced quality staff together. I don't foresee a letdown in product on the field in 2023.
      I think from a coaching staff standpoint he's gonna be strong. However, he's probably inheriting a .500 football team in terms of roster..and is tasked with picking up guys here in a hurry and figuring out who's going to replace key players who are in the portal..and keeping in mind Thuro is done also..who the offense kinda ran through this last season. High school guys are still the main deal for D2 programs, especially in the midwest, but those guys aren't typically plug-n-play ready so there will be some level of transfers needed to try and help plug the amount of holes they'll have.

As Glo eluded to....opening with Mankato (at the Bob) is heckua tester to start his stay. I think with a brand new staff like this there'll also be a certain kinda assessment done by the staff of the roster and re-evaluation of the talent based on how they are gonna do things on both sides of the ball.

Comment

2 time All Conference Tackle Jasper Parks 6'7 320, is now in the transfer Portal. With He, Washenberger, Moran, and Paris gone and 3 yr st Jackson Wright gone that means USF will have to start a whole new Oline next year..... I saw that a few lineman from JUCO national Champ Iowa Western are available. Go all in Coo!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tman28; 01-12-2023, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I keep waiting to see USF offer some transfer lineman on both sides of the ball. I am hoping to see that over the next month. Or he will keep offering high school kids and throw next year away and build for the future

Comment

I saw that USF hired another OC? Did the other guy leave already?

Comment

https://usfcougars.com/news/2023/1/1...ordinator.aspx

Wesley B....the previously hired OC is taking a D1 gig he was offered. (that school isn't ready to announce yet, etc..I'm guessing in a week maybe)

That said, Lucas Lueders is from Dell Rapids (near Sioux Falls) and knows much of the local scene....and was the OC at Mside for a healthy stint up through their 2019 championship at the NAIA level. He had some pretty prolific offenses there. I recall after the 2019 season his name was being thrown around a lot for potential high profile D2 openings like NWMSU, UCM, and others.

He then went to Central Mizzouri during COVID and took over a young offense there and did fairly well with a new starting QB..but then with a coaching change at UCM for the 2022 season the new HC was a playcaller and Lueders was ready to find a place where he could call the offense again. Augie had been looking at him as well when USF pulled the trigger on him. I would expect Augie would have their OC here sooner than later, but I haven't heard any further info on that.

Comment

That happened to us last year too. It was a guy who came from WIU with Patterson but took a new gig at Penn State. That's how Bouman ended up coming home.

Comment

Well done good and faithful servant...

Today we lost a legend on this side of eternity, but I rejoice knowing where Coach is now.

Thanks for everything Coach.

4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                  2016 NSIC Champions
                  🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Oh fudge. I knew his health had been declining and he was struggling as of late. This is a bummer. What a great man.

Comment

I had commented on twitter about this a bit ago....here are some other comments about Coach Young today. Lately Coach Stig from SDSU has been getting a lot of coverage..and he should..and Coach Bob Young was essentially the Coach Stig of USF and attended each game and followed things closely and stayed in touch with coaches and was very involved in FCA. He will be greatly missed.

Jerry Olszewski
                      @CoachOJ_
                      ·
                      1h
                      Replying to
                      @MattJZimmer
                      Coach Young was an absolute legend of a person, family man and coach! Faithful servant who without a doubt in my mind is now in the Kingdom. Left a legacy for any coach, husband and dad to follow. Tremendous respect for Coach Young, well done faithful servant

Jed Stugart
                      @stugfb
                      I am heart broke to hear of the passing of Coach Young. A man that Loved and lived for Jesus and his impact pierced generations. One of my greatest mentors. Winners win coach…” and you just won your greatest victory resting in the arms of our savior

Matt Witwicki
                      @WittD2Football
                      ·
                      1h
                      Sad day in Sioux Falls. Coach Young was one of the finest men I've ever met..really a tremendous fella. He will be greatly missed and a model for doing things the right way. He now gets to join his good buddy Coach C. Outstanding men.

Chris Johnson

@CooBasketball
                      ·
                      16m
                      Coach Young welcomed Amy and I immediately into the USF family when we got here and never stopped supporting, mentoring and helping me and our program. I will miss texting with him after big wins and some tough losses. Just a great coach and man, I will miss him dearly.

Mike Henriksen (First Person: Legendary SD Sports)
                      @MikeHenriksen
                      ·
                      2h
                      I would curse about this news, but I know Coach would not approve! Simply one of the most decent human beings God ever graced the planet with. He made a positive difference in countless lives. But now he rejoins his beloved Diane. Go rest well sir. And thank you.

Comment

Another notable tweet by another Coo legend turned Husky Chuck Morrell...

And some local news clips...

https://www.keloland.com/sports/long...g-passes-away/
                        Kelo managed to dig up some archived shots of Coach from his first year in 1983 rocking some of the shortest shorts and did a virtual interview with DeBoer.
                        https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2023/0...-coach-friend/
                        The artists formerly known as KSFY/KDLT had a nice tribute as well. Coach was just on the radio with Mark O last week.

All these old clips are really making me want that 1996 Natty hat Coach is rocking in the welcome home celebrations.
                        2016 NSIC Champions
                        🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Whenever I would run into Coach Young he would always give me a hug. I'm not much of a hugger, but he was on the allowed whitelist.

The funny thing is I never played for him and he still remembered me. For most of his stint at USF in addition to coaching he also taught math. I took Calculus from him twice (failed the first time) and he remembered me from those classes. How many students did he come into contact with over the years, and I'll wager he remembered them all.

I have memories of the very first day of classes (both times) when he made it clear that he wasn't a football coach who happened to teach math, but he was a math teacher who happened to coach football.

Comment

I had done this research a year or so ago during a board discussion of "all it takes is just one coach" to turn a program around. I think it bears sharing once again the football impact Coach Young had at USF. He truly was our small-college version of Bill Snyder turning around K-State.

I had heard stories of how bad SuFuCo football was in the past from the old alumni but dug into it a little. Here's what I found perusing an old media guide...
                            • Prior to the now 28 consecutive winning seasons streak which began in 1994, USF had only 16 winning seasons total and 7 additional seasons of .500 football in 90 some years of football. 6 of those 16 can be attributed to the man below, the savior of USF football, Bob Young. A few those are 2 and 3 win seasons in the 1910s so take that with what you will.
                            • The 40s and 50s were particularly dreadful. Following a .500 season in 1937, USF didn't get back to successful football until 1960. 23 years of bad bad football.
                              • That USF team included non other than a young Bob Young. Coach was a SFC graduate, linebacker and offensive guard and was all-conference as a senior (#65).
                                • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
                            • No coach prior to Bob Young, had a winning record. Not one. Coach Young started at the Coo in 1983 and only had 3 losing seasons, 1986, 1987, and 1993 in 22 years at the helm. He would win 13 conference championships (9 SDIC and 4 GPAC), make 10 NAIA playoff trips, earn a national-runner trophy in 2001 and of course, win that memorable 1996 NAIA national title.
                              • ​​​​​​​
                              • See, DeBoer always looked good in purple
                            And frankly, that is all secondary to the impact Coach had off the field mentoring his players, coaches, and anyone he came into contact with. Playing at 'The Bob' while he was still alive, around, and involved in the program was such an honor. Grateful for the mentor he was to me through FCA and remaining in touch over the years. Bummed I couldn't find a picture of us together after all my looking last night. As coach would always say... Love ya man.

2016 NSIC Champions
                            🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                              ... Bummed I couldn't find a picture of us together after all my looking last night. ...
                              I found one of mine. This was after the 2016 victory up in Mankato.

Comment

Nice gesture Scheels.
                                2016 NSIC Champions
                                🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X