Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Interesting that Watson didn't first check into the game until 11:30 of the second half. Clearly, Mr Watson and Ben are not on the same sheet of music concerning what Ben is looking for Watson to do. Clearly Watson is a gifted athlete and scorer but he doesn't seem to get how WLU plays. Ben clearly tried to send Watson a message by sitting him until halfway through the second half...Equally clear the Watson did not get the message.

Given Ben's post game comments which were clearly pointed directly at Watson, I wouldn't be surprised if Watson get's the opportunity to sit on the bench for the whole game v WVW tonight.

Hope Watson get's it because he clearly is a talented player.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      That's true, Boat. But the ease with which Glenville was beating the press and getting good shots against the first team is concerning. Yoakum as the middle man in the first team's press will have to be more active in slowing the runout as the season goes on. Glenville got a lot of really good looks against the first team's press.

Granted, they missed a lot of those good looks because of either tired legs from beating the press and/or rushing the shot knowing a speeding defender would be hustling behind them--both good outcomes of the press. However, they also made their fair share of those open looks which put Glenville over the 100 mark. Howard Smith's 19 points were almost entirely on open 3's off the press against the first team. (Can't really figure out why he didn't start or play more minutes for Glenville).
      We all fall into the trap of focusing on some aspect of a game (or season) that we wished WLU did better or differently. Over the years, we have wished for WLU to get a "true big", schedule harder OOC opponents, have more defensive intensity in blowouts, etc... Most of the time, these wishes go unanswered and I would probably say, that's probably a good thing. If I was really a gifted analyst of team needs and dynamics, I'd probably be a HC...fact that I'm NOT probably tells you everything you need to know about the value of my opinions!!!

Comment

I would say in blow out games, and WLU plays a lot of them, your defensive focus kind of changes and a team starts playing for the doors. In this game, WLU was up so large so quickly that you almost missed the "good defense" part of the game. WLU had a 25 point lead 7 1/2 minutes into the game but to get there that quickly, they held Glenville scoreless for over 4 minutes to take an 8-8 tie to a 33-8 lead. From that point on, they started trading 3's for 2's until the clock hit 0:00 and they could go home...

Oh and FYI, Glenville is 3'rd in the country in scoring averaging 111 PPG.

Comment

Glenville may lead the country in points scored and points given up when it's all said and done. A pretty rare accomplishment.

Bowie scored 111 on them ... IUP held Bowie to half that number.

Comment

Last night's game should put the "WLU don't play no defense" crowd to bed once and for all. Tied at 62 with over 8 1/2 minutes to play, WLU clamped down the D and allowed WVW to score 9 points for the rest of the game to claim a 9 point W.

Comment

I agree...they stiffened up the Defense, but it also means, WVW took some wild-ass threes at the end that were horrible shots, when game was still in doubt!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                Last night's game should put the "WLU don't play no defense" crowd to bed once and for all. Tied at 62 with over 8 1/2 minutes to play, WLU clamped down the D and allowed WVW to score 9 points for the rest of the game to claim a 9 point W.

Comment

I've said that we'll have to see how that plays out at the end of the season. WLU now has one more loss than they typically would have at this point in the season and will have one additional loss when it comes playoff seeding time.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                    I agree...they stiffened up the Defense, but it also means, WVW took some wild-ass threes at the end that were horrible shots, when game was still in doubt!!
                    They took wild-ass threes because of the stifling D WLU was playing...They couldn't get a clean look. Took horrible shots because that was all that was available.

Looks like Watson was given the game off to "contemplate" what it means to play within the WLU system!!! Wonder if he will figure it out or if he will require an extended period of "quite meditation" sitting on the bench??
                    Last edited by boatcapt; 11-20-2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

They took wild-ass threes because of the stifling D WLU was playing...They couldn't get a clean look. Took horrible shots because that was all that was available.

Looks like Watson was given the game off to "contemplate" what it means to play within the WLU system!!! Wonder if he will figure it out or if he will require an extended period of "quite meditation" sitting on the bench??
                      I know the sports information department were very high on him at first because he was originally one of three potential all star candidates in the media guide but they later had me swap him for Eric which was obviously a smart choice. Bolon and Brady were the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                        I know the sports information department were very high on him at first because he was originally one of three potential all star candidates in the media guide but they later had me swap him for Eric which was obviously a smart choice. Bolon and Brady were the other two.
                        Can only assume why they took him off the cover but given his "performance" after sitting out the entire first half and half of the second before getting in and THEN his non-WLU like performance which seems to have been the reason for his subsequent benching in the last game, I think it is a pretty good bet that he's a bit selfish and all about him rather than the team. If he hasn't figured it out by now, I don't think he will and perhaps it's best to ask him to leave the team.
                        Last edited by boatcapt; 11-20-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post

Should never give pub to anyone who is unproven in wlu system. Could affect morale of team too.

would not read too much into him not playing.

I was there at the game.

Wvw has a good zone defense. Some of the guys were having trouble penetrating the zone by getting the ball to the high post so wlu had to go with only their experienced people in addition to 1st platoon. Hence the short bench.

Watson needs to work on all phases of defense and passing. Imho Even basic defensive movement - shocking that no one had taught him that.
                          against Glenville He made some good assists but also did a couple of bad heat check shots.
                          At one point glenville double teamed him!

Sky is the limit for him. Just give him time. I don't think he is a "teddy buckets" from wvu type of player.
                          Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-20-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                            I was there. Wvw has a good zone defense. Some of the guys were having trouble penetrating the zone by getting the ball to the high post so wlu had to go with only their experienced people in addition to 1st platoon. Hence the short bench.

Watson needs to work on all phases of defense and passing. Imho Even basic defensive movement - shocking that no one had taught him that.
                            against Glenville He made some good assists but also did a couple of bad heat check shots.
                            At one point Denville double teamed him!

Sky is the limit for him. Just give him time. I don't think he is a "teddy buckets" from wvu type of player.
                            We'll see, but it seems pretty clear that something just isn't clicking about how to play WLU basketball. Ben calling out a player in the post game presser I think shows the level of frustration he has with Watson (yea, I know he didn't actually use his name, but EVERYONE knew who he was talking about!). Then you add the complete game benching of Watson the following game and it seems clearer. Perhaps the last game benching was just because Ben "shortened the bench" but I note that he started and played extensively a true freshman and a redshirt freshman while not playing a transfer junior who was a JUCO All American...seems a little odd.

Comment

We'll see, but it seems pretty clear that something just isn't clicking about how to play WLU basketball. Ben calling out a player in the post game presser I think shows the level of frustration he has with Watson (yea, I know he didn't actually use his name, but EVERYONE knew who he was talking about!). Then you add the complete game benching of Watson the following game and it seems clearer. Perhaps the last game benching was just because Ben "shortened the bench" but I note that he started and played extensively a true freshman and a redshirt freshman while not playing a transfer junior who was a JUCO All American...seems a little odd.

Joe always says it takes those JUCO guys at least half the season to get used to the structure of D2 basketball. There's probably a lot of truth in it. Most JUCO squads are glorified playground teams ... similar to AAU basketball. The post players typically adapt faster.

Comment

Hill and yoakum are much more complete players at this time and have earned 1st platoon. Hill has yet to commit a turnover and yoakum is also a great offensive force who is growing in confidence. Both were effective against the zone. I could see yoakum or hill going for 30 in a game in the future.

Imho If Watson wants to play overseas he needs to want to become a complete player he needs to emulate the play of those ahead of him.
                                Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-20-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X