Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of six finalists for Ohio mr. basketball as a junior. 2000 pt scorer as a junior. steph curry range. Broke Ohio record for career 3 pointers. Great student and basketball iq is off the charts.

Comment

• Wlu also signed a 6-3 guard who averaged 30 ppg and 15 rebounds. Purportedly a 4.0+ student and 28 ACT.

Comment

• Seems like the reality is that WLU only brings in players that already can run, shoot and play agressive D. Can't do all three, you are going to fall off WLU's recruiting radar quickly. The volume of players with these traits coming out of HS increases the shorter a player gets so there is a bigger pool of potential recruits at say the 6' to 6'2" level than at the 6'8" to 6'10" level. Rhese same traits are highly prived at the D1 level which makes it almost impossible for a DII to find without specifically looking for and recruting them HARD. Just my opinion but I dont think WLU looks specifically for 6'8" + guys. If one stumbles onto their radar AND can that guy can already run, shoot and play D, we'd probably make an offer...but we aint going to take a big with even one hole in his game. Kind of interesting because we WILL take PG's who come in with shooting deficiencies.

I think we will always be susceptable until we bring in a big to counter the problem. EVEN if ALL the guy can do is run and play D coming out of HS.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          Seems like the reality is that WLU only brings in players that already can run, shoot and play agressive D. Can't do all three, you are going to fall off WLU's recruiting radar quickly. The volume of players with these traits coming out of HS increases the shorter a player gets so there is a bigger pool of potential recruits at say the 6' to 6'2" level than at the 6'8" to 6'10" level. Rhese same traits are highly prived at the D1 level which makes it almost impossible for a DII to find without specifically looking for and recruting them HARD. Just my opinion but I dont think WLU looks specifically for 6'8" + guys. If one stumbles onto their radar AND can that guy can already run, shoot and play D, we'd probably make an offer...but we aint going to take a big with even one hole in his game. Kind of interesting because we WILL take PG's who come in with shooting deficiencies.f

I think we will always be susceptable until we bring in a big to counter the problem. EVEN if ALL the guy can do is run and play D coming out of HS.
          We may want to take a look at Shane Hunter of Nova SE who is a true freshman. Have not seen him play, but he is getting minutes. He is 6-10. Maybe St. Crutch found the purple squirrel in D2?

Comment

• Comment

• I agree that a big does not have to hit 40% from three. But he better be complete in all other aspects of the game with a high basketball IQ.. The WL style requires real-time ability to see the court, analyze the situation and make the right decision very, very quickly. Hard to find on the AAU circuit.

I am just a dummy, but I think the other four guys on Daemen beat us , and not the big.. Look at the excessive turnovers we had and the walking calls on the initial dribble. We turned over Daemen enough to win the game.

On the bright side, we have 6 new players that are still getting used to playing together. I knew there would be some bumps in the road early. I thought the ball was sticking in our hands and we were not making Daemen work on defense and doing way too much dribble drive. WL also tires team out on offense by their motion (especially making the bigs move). We also need to get assists increased among all of our players, not just a few.
              I admire Coach Howlett for scheduling challenging games eary. IMHO, playing against this All American big, and an NCAA tourney team that is experienced and well coached will pay big dividends in March.

Comment

• Comment

• Excellent points. Flat on defense and offense..Some Huggins quotes seemed to fit us at Daemen.
                  On holding the ball:
                  "When you hold the ball you have 10 eyes on you. You want to move the ball so that there are only 2 eyes on you"
                  On the turnovers and ill-advised shots:
                  "you have shown us what you are NOT good at doing. Why don't you try doing what you ARE good at doing?"
                  Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-19-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                    I admire Coach Howlett for scheduling challenging games eary. IMHO, playing against this All American big, and an NCAA tourney team that is experienced and well coached will pay big dividends in March.
                    Oh boy here we go. You've officially set the Boat trap . . . now let's see if he takes the bait! ; )

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Oh boy here we go. You've officially set the Boat trap . . . now let's see if he takes the bait! ; )
                      LOL

Finding decent, relatively nearby non conference opponents to agree to play WL is problematic. Kudos to Daemen. .

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

LOL

Finding decent, relatively nearby non conference opponents to agree to play WL is problematic. Kudos to Daemen. .
                        Don't get me wrong; I totally agree with you. I think taking this loss to Daemen now serves as a major learning experience for the young guys that will almost certainly pay dividends later in the season. Kudos to Daemen for taking the game, and kudos to Howlett for offering it.

I just know this is one of Boat's favorite hobby horse topics, so consider yourself warned. ; )

Comment

• Been doing some ciphering on the WLU versus Daemen game.
                          Points in the paint were = at 40, which surprised me given that their big was 12 for 13.

IMHO our tunovers hurt us- 19 turnovers resulted in 28 points for Daemen, while we got 19 points off of 25 turnovers - difference of +9.
                          Also, our shooting % was down by almost 1/3 from its normal % in both FG nd 3pt shooting.
                          I think the poor shooting was due to Daemen's defense and also our poor shot selection and subpar ball movement.
                          Daemen had five guys in double figures, so our defense was stressed, often because of the double team on the Sischo.

IMHO WL allowed a two man game to develop between Sischo and his teammate in the corner that he was facring toward, who was left open by the double team by Luke down low.
                          IMHO, WL needs to rotate all their defenders to cover up the obvious pass to the corner while leaving open a man on the other side behind Suscho and prevent him from pivoting to get the ball to him in the opposite corner. Sischo would only have 3 seconds since he is in the lane, so it could stress him.

I know this is easier said than done, especially for a young team, as it requires the timing of synchronized swimmers to pull it off. :LOL
                          Real coaches could probably give me 100 reasons why it would not work.

Comment

• Ball wasn't "sticking" tonight, Columbus! They moved the ball much better and got much better looks for shooters. Press was stout tonight as well. Granted, Salem is hardly Top-25 competition, but it was nice to get look at WLU basketball again tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                              Ball wasn't "sticking" tonight, Columbus! They moved the ball much better and got much better looks for shooters. Press was stout tonight as well. Granted, Salem is hardly Top-25 competition, but it was nice to get look at WLU basketball again tonight.
                              Great improvenent! I liked dalton doing a jump stop and burying a 10 ft jumper rather than taking it to the teeth of the defense underneath. That is a lay up for him.lol

Malik has some quick hands. He pilfered quite a few balls from guards.
                              The newcomers are getting more comfortable and the bad habits of aau ball are starting to dissipate!

Comment

• Perhaps Daemen was last year's Kutztown game. Big wakeup call.
                                The press is getting better and better as the players learn to play cohesively.
                                Guys are taking the jump stop for the open short jumper instead of trying difficult, contested shots.

After four games, WL has 7 players with an effective FG% (3s count 1.5 times two point shot) > 60%., with three over 70% and one over 80%!
                                (to put in perspective, steph curry was 60% last year, ableit from greater range).
                                Six players are averaging over 0.5 points per minute played, with two averaging over 0.8 pts/min and one averaging over 1 pt/min!
                                So offense is not often going to be a problem.

IMHO, this team has a very high ceiling that it is not even close to reaching.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X