Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI
    first Miami heat, now Boston Celtics invite st. Crutch to meet with their coaches.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...236519008.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

You probably know this but replay is on Shaw athletic web site. Historic gym with windows with concrete wall 3 ft behind end line. Guys would shield their eyes from sun at times. I enjoyed it.

think you are going to really like this team. Robinson is an incredible athlete with high basketball iq.
      Jeez Columbus...your post is MUCH too short!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Jeez Columbus...your post is MUCH too short!!!
        ROFL. Good one Boat!
        243 characters - I may decide to get a twitter account yet!

Comment

• [Twitter Generation friendly LOL]

Shaw game Notes 1
          Shaw chose an up-and-down fast paced game and attacked the press. Fatigue affected defense and shot selection between 15 & 10 min. of 1st half. Numerous WL mini-runs, with a blackout between 15 and 12 min. of 2nd half. 2nd platoon played more than 1st

Comment

• I'm not sure what Daemen usually looks like, but they were clearly the better team on the floor today. They absolutely manhandled the Hilltoppers. I get that when a cold-shooting team meets up with a hot-shooting team, it usually gets ugly. But all the credit here goes to Daemen. They imposed their will on the Toppers and got everything they wanted. The big boy was a force even when he wasn't anywhere near the play. The Toppers missed more layups than I've ever seen them miss. It was as though they were looking for the big guy even if he wasn't there. He was altering shots from 5 feet away just because the ball handler was looking for him when they elevated. So, in truth, the cold-shooting night for the Toppers was actually caused by the Daemen defense as much as anything else. Hats off to Daemen. They played a magnificent game, and this young Hilltopper team will need to learn a lot from this game. This is a good learning experience for the young guys. It'll be interesting to see how they rebound from this pasting. Let's just say I wouldn't want to be Salem.

Few individual observations:
            -- Boswell lost his cool a few times and made dumb fouls because of it. We saw that when he was Cardinal, but that's not the Hilltopper way. He's gonna need to get that under control. The Hilltoppers are hated enough just because of being a consistently winning team; adding a hothead player into the mix only makes that worse. We haven't seen that in a Hilltopper uniform since Chris Morrow, and it's not a good look.

-- Pat Robinson had a terrible defensive day. He was regularly chasing his man after getting beaten off the first step. He looked bad today.

-- Nobody could make shots today. But Yoakum's release on the three ball today looked really wonky. He wasn't in the flow at all.

It was just one of those nights for the Hilltoppers. Again, all credit to Daemen; they matched the Hilltopper intensity and pace AND made shots. Interesting to see how the Toppers respond.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
              I'm not sure what Daemen usually looks like, but they were clearly the better team on the floor today. They absolutely manhandled the Hilltoppers. I get that when a cold-shooting team meets up with a hot-shooting team, it usually gets ugly. But all the credit here goes to Daemen. They imposed their will on the Toppers and got everything they wanted. The big boy was a force even when he wasn't anywhere near the play. The Toppers missed more layups than I've ever seen them miss. It was as though they were looking for the big guy even if he wasn't there. He was altering shots from 5 feet away just because the ball handler was looking for him when they elevated. So, in truth, the cold-shooting night for the Toppers was actually caused by the Daemen defense as much as anything else. Hats off to Daemen. They played a magnificent game, and this young Hilltopper team will need to learn a lot from this game. This is a good learning experience for the young guys. It'll be interesting to see how they rebound from this pasting. Let's just say I wouldn't want to be Salem.

Few individual observations:
              -- Boswell lost his cool a few times and made dumb fouls because of it. We saw that when he was Cardinal, but that's not the Hilltopper way. He's gonna need to get that under control. The Hilltoppers are hated enough just because of being a consistently winning team; adding a hothead player into the mix only makes that worse. We haven't seen that in a Hilltopper uniform since Chris Morrow, and it's not a good look.

-- Pat Robinson had a terrible defensive day. He was regularly chasing his man after getting beaten off the first step. He looked bad today.

-- Nobody could make shots today. But Yoakum's release on the three ball today looked really wonky. He wasn't in the flow at all.

It was just one of those nights for the Hilltoppers. Again, all credit to Daemen; they matched the Hilltopper intensity and pace AND made shots. Interesting to see how the Toppers respond.
              Very good analysis. Perfect storm is:
              1. great big man
              2. plus a couple of great 3 point shooters to receive the kickout from big man
              3. experienced well coached team.

throw in a bad night for wlu and things get ugly.

Comment

Very good analysis. Perfect storm is:
                1. great big man
                2. plus a couple of great 3 point shooters to receive the kickout from big man
                3. experienced well coached team.

throw in a bad night for wlu and things get ugly.
                Yup. This one felt like the Sleva game all over again. And it may not even be that the guards are great shooters . . . but if they're great on that night, that's all that matters. I don't remember the guy who Sleva kept kicking it out to (Justin somebody), but I think he had a higher percentage that night than normal. I don't know enough about Daemen to know if Wallace and Harris are usually lights out from deep, but, man, they couldn't miss today.

Comment

Yup. This one felt like the Sleva game all over again. And it may not even be that the guards are great shooters . . . but if they're great on that night, that's all that matters. I don't remember the guy who Sleva kept kicking it out to (Justin somebody), but I think he had a higher percentage that night than normal. I don't know enough about Daemen to know if Wallace and Harris are usually lights out from deep, but, man, they couldn't miss today.
                  I was worried when I saw 2 3 point shooters in the high 30% range on their roster after 4 games

Comment

• Another example of the WLU Achilles heal. Until we address it, we are always going to be vulnerable to a high quality big man.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      Another example of the WLU Achilles heal. Until we address it, we are always going to be vulnerable to a high quality big man.

Comment

• I agree that those bigs are hard to find (as you said, Columbus). But, man, the Sischo kid from Daemen was running the floor really well up and down. Nearing halftime, I remember thinking to myself, "That kid will be gassed by 10 minutes into the second half and WLU will exploit him for a blackout burst." He never tired. He ran up and down all game making an impact on both ends. So, while those guys ARE really hard to find (especially stateside) . . . Daemen found one and kicked WLU's butt with him. Boat is right that with a Sischo or Voorhees or Patrick what's-his-name, WLU would be darn near unstoppable. But they just never seem to land that guy (even though other area teams DO seem to come up with those guys occasionally). I almost wonder if the reputation of WLU being a guard-oriented, fire-away-from-three team drives those talented bigs (even the ones who COULD fit into the WLU system) away. Not sure if that's the case or not, but it's interesting to think that WLU's own strength on the court might be a weakness in recruiting.

Comment

• Comment

I agree that those bigs are hard to find (as you said, Columbus). But, man, the Sischo kid from Daemen was running the floor really well up and down. Nearing halftime, I remember thinking to myself, "That kid will be gassed by 10 minutes into the second half and WLU will exploit him for a blackout burst." He never tired. He ran up and down all game making an impact on both ends. So, while those guys ARE really hard to find (especially stateside) . . . Daemen found one and kicked WLU's butt with him. Boat is right that with a Sischo or Voorhees or Patrick what's-his-name, WLU would be darn near unstoppable. But they just never seem to land that guy (even though other area teams DO seem to come up with those guys occasionally). I almost wonder if the reputation of WLU being a guard-oriented, fire-away-from-three team drives those talented bigs (even the ones who COULD fit into the WLU system) away. Not sure if that's the case or not, but it's interesting to think that WLU's own strength on the court might be a weakness in recruiting.
                            I have doubts about the bigs you mentioned being able to press. Daemen slowed the game down in offense (unless there was a breakaway and did not press on defense to conserve energy. The big I am envisioning would have a soccer build, at least 6-8 with good hops who could play in front of the bigs.

Comment

I have doubts about the bigs you mentioned being able to press. Daemen slowed the game down in offense (unless there was a breakaway and did not press on defense to conserve energy. The big I am envisioning would have a soccer build, at least 6-8 with good hops who could play in front of the bigs.
                              Check the NBA. You'll find that guy there.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Check the NBA. You'll find that guy there.
                                Maybe Oscar T. Of wvu Has a younger brother. I think Pitt knows about Oscar T. LOL

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X