• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Layton View Post
    Jon Alessandro from Beavercreek Ohio signed today, listed at 6'7 190

https://twitter.com/alessandrojon11/...93058269499393
    They also picked up the #31 rated senior in Ohio, PG Sincere Carry, if you check his twitter feed. 5'11" PG...Certainly a position of need...Played for OBC AAU, esteemed program...

They are losing 3 seniors this year, so have room for one more...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
      They also picked up the #31 rated senior in Ohio, PG Sincere Carry, if you check his twitter feed. 5'11" PG...Certainly a position of need...Played for OBC AAU, esteemed program...

a point guard, named SINCERE CARRY! Come on! Did I stumble across The Onion?

Comment

Originally posted by quannis View Post
        a point guard, named SINCERE CARRY! Come on! Did I stumble across The Onion?
        Giving Indiana Faithfull a run for his money on the all time great name

Comment

Giving Indiana Faithfull a run for his money on the all time great name
          I'd still favor Indiana Faithfull as Hilltopper Name MVP

Comment

Game Notes for tomorrows tilt against Cheyney lists the projected WLU starters as:

Monteroso
            Bolon
            Dyer
            Griffin
            Meinenger

I'm a little surprised Bolon earned the start. Must have had an exceptional camp!

Comment

This guy had visits from Penn State and wvu but no offers. Interest from Youngstown state, Akron, etc. Had 2 knee injuries in high school which caused d1 to back off. Another pg who is also a slasher. Alessandro is great shooter and slasher. Hit 36% of 3s as a junior. Beaver Creek plays tough teams. Im impressed by both!

Comment

I'd still favor Indiana Faithfull as Hilltopper Name MVP
                That's a good one but I still got to go with Johnny Bonar. Bonar...snicker, snicker...I guess deep down I'm still a 5th grader!!!!!

Comment

It's too bad WVU plays at the same time, I would've liked to see the new team in person

Comment

82 points in the first half...

Comment

82 points in the first half...
                      Very deep team. Deadly 3 pt shooters. Moore getting lot of minutes backing up meininger. Little difference between first and second teams. Playing faster than last year.

Comment

Very similar score compared to last year with Cheyney, going to have to see them against a more competent opponent to really gauge them

Comment

WL tied an NCAA record with 10 players making at least 1 3 pointer

Comment

was at the game.
                            as others have said, i have to temper my enthusiasm bc Cheyney is putrid. 36 Turnovers? Their coach just paced the sideline, with hardly any strategy...
                            that being said...what's not to like about this version of the Hilltoppers, after a game...
                            Press was smothering in the first 20 mins.
                            Shooting was lights out-24 3 pointers.
                            And athleticism looked pretty good.
                            Impressed with Marlon Moore, fresh-legged freshman, with hops, energy, and rebounding prowess.
                            Impressed with Dalton Bolon--really good shooter / slasher.

As Boat has said a few times, if they shoot well, they will be a tough to beat. We all know that there will be 5-6 nights when they are clunking 9-40 threes or 7-25 threes...Can they win while shooting poorly, that's the question...but I like this iteration of the hilltoppers...seem to be more in your face and pressing...that may change come Mountain East season, but let's see what happens vs. Seton Hill tonight

Comment

On one hand you have to feel bad for Cheyney.

Every football game it loses, 70-7. The teams in the PSAC want them out as playing them in anything hurts you more than it helps due to the SOS anchor. It's just a real mess up there. They are broke. No scholarships (like 4 in football and probably 1 total in basketball). The enrollment is under 700 and falling.

As a league ... They are a real problem right now. If I was in charge I'd skip D2 tournaments like last night and take any beat-down D1 money grabs I could find. If they have to suffer through beatings ... might as well make a few bucks.

I'm interested to see the Glenville Tournament this weekend. There are some good matchups there.

Comment

As has been said, it's Cheyney so not a ton we can learn about individual play. But we can learn some things about how Howlett will coach. Not surprisingly, from a style stand point he is much like Crutch but perhaps with more energy and intensity. Yes Crutch played a game that focused on 3's and pressure D but Coach H seems to ratchet that up a tick or two. Also Coach H plays a DEEP bench and expects every player, weather they are the star starter or the 12'th man off the bench, to take the shot if open...69 bench points is just insane but does demonstrate that point.

Stars for the game:

First Star - James Griffin - Leading scorer with 18 points on 6-10 shooting (3-6 from 3). Pitched in with 4 defensive rebounds and 2 steals in only 14 minutes of work. Very good, well rounded game.

Second Star - Evan French - 14 points on 5-9 shooting (4-7 from 3). French was not afraid to pull the trigger as he scored his 14 points in only 12 minutes of play! That's over a point per minute...calculate that out over a 40 minute game and he's scoring at a 47 PPG clip!!! Hahahahaha!!!

Third Star - Luke Dyer - Seven assists in his first college game were he played effectively one half (19 minutes) ain't too bad.

HM - Eric Meininger, Jordon Watson.

First game can also show some things that need to be worked on and this game did show a couple. Chief among them:

1. Free throws - With a team that shoots like WLU you'd think these would be almost automatic. As a team we shot 62% from the charity stripe last night. That ain't a good number for such a good shooting team!

2. Four players with four PF's - This becomes more worrisome when you realize that no WLU player played more than 20 minutes!

But hey, it's Cheyney so you don't really want to over analyze the good or bad from it or make any changes in how you play off of it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X