• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      UPJ 43
      IUP 34

Half

I thought West Chester was the worst defensive first half ever by an IUP team. It wasn't. This crap show was.

IUP got KILLED on the boards. UPJ 58% from field ... numerous wide open shots.

IUP 7 TOs ... 5 of which you see on playgrounds.

Joe may go insane in that locker room. Long way to go. They are actually dang lucky to only be down 9 right now.

Comment

• Re: Iup basketball

IUP escapes Johnstown, 81-76.

What a difference in the second half ... IUP shot the lights out from deep (15-27).

Glover with 31 points.

Something happened in that locker room at halftime.

Odd to see UPJ win the boards but they did, 32-24.

First half UPJ couldn't miss. Second half 0 treys on 0-8 shooting. Joe really woke them up at the half.

Comment

A win is a win... they are all huge!!! I wish I could've watched it. I had a brain fart and just forgot to tune in. UGH!!!

Comment

Ladies moved to 11-0 with a 19-point win at UPJ. Megan Smith went for 34 points on 12 of 18 shooting (6 of 9 from deep).

Comment

I tell you what, I have no idea what to make of the men's team this year. One game they seem to be doing very well, the next they come out flat. Glad to see a change at the half, but it would be interesting to find out the dynamic of that locker room...

As for the ladies, this looks to be a very solid team. I am looking forward to seeing how they do against Edinboro and CalU.

Comment

A couple thoughts on last night:

* You could tell UPJ played a game this past weekend and IUP did not. They were very off and rusty to start that game ... not all that uncommon with the first game back from a two-week layover. IUP was down by as many as 14 in the first half.

* UPJ is a nice team. They are far from a pushover as evidence they lost by just 4 points to Virginia State. They are very well-coached and shoot well. Depth is always the problem there. They always have a solid six guys but struggle after that point. Dale Clancy may be the best PG in the PSAC. Josh Wise is a very nice young player and freshman Drew Magestro is going to be a special one up there. Isaac Vescovi is tough.

* IUP was its own biggest enemy last night. I lost count of careless turnovers. You'll always have turnovers but they (some much more than others) just cannot 'slow down' and eliminate these mistakes. It's the same stuff, game after game, year after year. There's so much talent on the floor that the point guard just needs to stay in control and remain calm. IUP doesn't need an Allen Iverson impression that results in 7-8 TOs a game from the PG position. I get that's a touchy subject and I think Dante is a very good player. If he'd 'slow down' and cut his TOs from 7-8 down to 2-3 he could be a great player. Almost every one of those TOs last night turned into a quick bucket for UPJ. Very few of them were forced by UPJ, either, but were rather given by out-of-control, careless play. UPJ easily got 16-20 points directly off TOs last night. This isn't an attack. The PG is going to determine what this team can accomplish this year. Junior year ... time to take (and stay in) control.

* That was as hot as I've seen Joe in a long time during the first 20 minutes -- probably since the infamous trip to Seton Hill three years ago. He looked like he was about to explode.

* IUP got battered on the boards last night which is very odd. UPJ is a small team. In the first half UPJ out-rebounded IUP 17 to 8. Willem isn't new to the program anymore. At his size and athletic ability it's time to get a little nasty out there on the glass. He did have four huge blocks last night. But, Willem and Cobo combined for a kind of weak 9 boards last night. With who is coming up ... not going to cut it.

* Blake oddly only played about 15 minutes last night (with no fouls). Jalen Vaughns played his lone minute in the first half. I'll be shocked if Vaughns is here next year. He has to be beyond irritated with this 1-2 minutes per game.

* Anthony Glover is on the very short list of best guards in the PSAC ... Ice in the veins.

* Defensively that was two different teams last night. In the first half IUP just let UPJ launch away -- hitting 7 of 14 treys before intermission. The second half you saw more of the approach they used against Fairmont and made them work for every three and UPJ went 0-8 after the break. That was simply a change in effort and intensity.

* That's 11 straight over neighbor UPJ.
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-04-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

http://www.tribdem.com/sports/iup-us...8d3561463.html

Johnstown Democrat game story

Comment

Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
                    I tell you what, I have no idea what to make of the men's team this year. One game they seem to be doing very well, the next they come out flat. Glad to see a change at the half, but it would be interesting to find out the dynamic of that locker room...

As for the ladies, this looks to be a very solid team. I am looking forward to seeing how they do against Edinboro and CalU.
                    Looks like the IUP gals got a bit of leg up on Cal if reports of Seairra Barrett being shut down for the season are correct. Certainly bad for her and bad for Cal but good for IUP as they fight to win home court for the conference and region tourneys.

-

Comment

FYI

The men's and women's games scheduled for tomorrow night have been changed to tomorrow afternoon. The women's game will start at 2 p.m. and the men's game will start at 4 p.m.

Weather-related change.

Comment

KCAC nemesis Gary Manchel is in town with his Triangle and Two zone defense.

I don't expect the Lakers to get thumped two straight. Slippery Rock hung 20 on them Wednesday night.

That defense is really designed to take away a 'star' player (like a Brandon Norfleet type). This version of IUP is pretty balanced although Anthony Glover is emerging as the star.

That SRU showing was a bit rare for Mercyhurst -- giving up 77 points. Entering the game that were at 62 ppg defensively.

I like IUP to win today but expect a good fight. Manchel has had some big wins against Joe in the past.

Comment

Wrong thread!
                          Last edited by Fightingscot82; 01-06-2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            KCAC nemesis Gary Manchel is in town with his Triangle and Two zone defense.

I don't expect the Lakers to get thumped two straight. Slippery Rock hung 20 on them Wednesday night.

That defense is really designed to take away a 'star' player (like a Brandon Norfleet type). This version of IUP is pretty balanced although Anthony Glover is emerging as the star.

That SRU showing was a bit rare for Mercyhurst -- giving up 77 points. Entering the game that were at 62 ppg defensively.

I like IUP to win today but expect a good fight. Manchel has had some big wins against Joe in the past.
                            If Manchel wants to take Glover out, then there is no doubt in my mind that one of the other guys are fully capable of scoring with the great open looks they will get out of that garbage defense. A guy like Cobo could thrive with all the short jumpers he could potentially get if Glover is the target. Last year, if I recall correctly, Manchel went to more man to man defense against IUP because of the spread out scoring they bring to the table. We'll soon see.

Comment

I now see it with Vaughns... he doesn't know where to be when he is on the floor. My issue now is, why doesn't Joe get him on the floor more like he did today to work on figuring it out when there is a cushion?

Comment

Those Mercy games are tough to watch. Add to it that ref crew that calls EVERYTHING and it's a miserable watch.

Take the win and move along ....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X