Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Bryce Radford on a tear! 28 assists and 33 FGs in his last three wins for WVU Tech.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Don't know. Cordon is with the team but hasn't dressed all year. Burk hasn't dressed since the Bowie State game. Diop's status is apparently classified. Stewart and Waldo are taking redshirts so neither of them dress.

So, as of now, if Ethan is out, he's being replaced by Brooks and KJ. They have to get Brooks under control, foul-wise.

If they have to play a couple games without Ethan, I'd go with 4 guards and Tomiwa. They'll give up size but will be extremely fast. In that case I'd start Tomiwa, David, Shawndale, Dillard and Bethea with Polce and Brooks first two off the bench. That lineup would be a nightmare to defend.
    If they go 4 guards then they better play fast as hell. Can’t play a slower pace if the opponent has size.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I’m wondering why some of the deep bench guys weren’t dressed Sunday.
    Don't know. Cordon is with the team but hasn't dressed all year. Burk hasn't dressed since the Bowie State game. Diop's status is apparently classified. Stewart and Waldo are taking redshirts so neither of them dress.

So, as of now, if Ethan is out, he's being replaced by Brooks and KJ. They have to get Brooks under control, foul-wise.

If they have to play a couple games without Ethan, I'd go with 4 guards and Tomiwa. They'll give up size but will be extremely fast. In that case I'd start Tomiwa, David, Shawndale, Dillard and Bethea with Polce and Brooks first two off the bench. That lineup would be a nightmare to defend.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

They've had some bad luck the past several years. Two major, (early) season-ending injuries to star players and a handful of others that weren't quite as severe.

Obviously there's only so much a coach can do to prevent injuries, but the odds go way down if your stars aren't in games that are well out of hand. I've never seen anybody blow out an ACL sitting on the bench. Heck, look what happened to Duane Brown this year in a game IUP was winning 35-0 in the second half.

Shawndale was still in the Mansfield game two weeks ago with IUP up 37 points with 5 minutes to play. That's just hard to explain. Lunacy is about the only word I come up with. They are going to have to go with the less is more philosophy with him this year -- especially at this somewhat early stage.

Some teams on some years ... yeah, whatever, play them all 40 minutes. But, Joe has to watch that this year. Shawndale has looked good but he's not back to 100 percent. There's no reason to be playing him in blowouts other than stat-padding. If they want to make a serious run later on, they can't be foolishly risking guys in those situations.

Same with David Morris ... did he really need to play 37 minutes against PSU-Altoona? He was still in the game with 90 seconds left (with IUP up 50 freaking points). I just don't understand it.
    I’m wondering why some of the deep bench guys weren’t dressed Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

We need to keep praying to those basketball gods. Unless I’m forgetting things, it feels like IUP teams were blessed with remarkably good health for most of Joe’s tenure. Even when injuries happened, like Brandon Norfleet in 2015, they weren’t as bad as they initially looked. Now it seems the gods are evening things up and we’re crossing our fingers every game that no one goes down.
    They've had some bad luck the past several years. Two major, (early) season-ending injuries to star players and a handful of others that weren't quite as severe.

Obviously there's only so much a coach can do to prevent injuries, but the odds go way down if your stars aren't in games that are well out of hand. I've never seen anybody blow out an ACL sitting on the bench. Heck, look what happened to Duane Brown this year in a game IUP was winning 35-0 in the second half.

Shawndale was still in the Mansfield game two weeks ago with IUP up 37 points with 5 minutes to play. That's just hard to explain. Lunacy is about the only word I come up with. They are going to have to go with the less is more philosophy with him this year -- especially at this somewhat early stage.

Some teams on some years ... yeah, whatever, play them all 40 minutes. But, Joe has to watch that this year. Shawndale has looked good but he's not back to 100 percent. There's no reason to be playing him in blowouts other than stat-padding. If they want to make a serious run later on, they can't be foolishly risking guys in those situations.

Same with David Morris ... did he really need to play 37 minutes against PSU-Altoona? He was still in the game with 90 seconds left (with IUP up 50 freaking points). I just don't understand it.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    It’s a little disconcerting to learn in the Gazette that Shawndale missed on Sunday due to swelling in his knee, and that Ethan wasn’t even cleared to practice. Ethan is a “toss up” for this weekend per the article, but Shawndale is expected to play. If this storyline continues as the season progresses, it’s not going to be the dream season we all hoped it would be. The grind is only going to get harder from here and March is as much a test of stamina and grittiness as it is skill. It’s one thing to say “We’re not whole yet,” as Joe did in the article, but I’m starting to be concerned that they’re not ever going to be “whole.”

Overreaction or legitimate concern?
    We need to keep praying to those basketball gods. Unless I’m forgetting things, it feels like IUP teams were blessed with remarkably good health for most of Joe’s tenure. Even when injuries happened, like Brandon Norfleet in 2015, they weren’t as bad as they initially looked. Now it seems the gods are evening things up and we’re crossing our fingers every game that no one goes down.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    It’s a little disconcerting to learn in the Gazette that Shawndale missed on Sunday due to swelling in his knee, and that Ethan wasn’t even cleared to practice. Ethan is a “toss up” for this weekend per the article, but Shawndale is expected to play. If this storyline continues as the season progresses, it’s not going to be the dream season we all hoped it would be. The grind is only going to get harder from here and March is as much a test of stamina and grittiness as it is skill. It’s one thing to say “We’re not whole yet,” as Joe did in the article, but I’m starting to be concerned that they’re not ever going to be “whole.”

And, of course, Diop wasn't even mentioned. He would cure some things. Who knows. Perhaps he'll be an athletic, 6'10" lawn ornament all season on the bench. It's mind-boggling we're now 8 games in to this season and his status hasn't been publicly addressed yet.

The good news is they can probably survive a game or two if Shawndale needs some nights off. Dillard can play a much larger role than he currently is and can be a big-time scorer.

If Ethan sits out both the Kutztown and West Chester games, they could be in trouble - in particular against WCU. With no Ethan - and Diop modeling warm-up suits - IUP gets very small very quickly. The Rams have some legit bigs. Tomiwa can't do it all under there.

But, hey, it wouldn't be IUP basketball season if we didn't spend 4 months talking about (constant) injuries.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Overreaction

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    8 dressed ... rest in warmups

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Ethan and Shawndale not dressed. Keep them healthy!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Mentally preparing to watch tomorrow's game.

I do remember Dante's senior year when Westminster came to the KCAC. IUP came out taking the game about as serious as an intramural team on a Sunday night at 10 p.m.

Westminster lit them up from deep in the first half and IUP was up by just 10 at halftime. I think Westminster hit 10 treys in the first half. The big guy wasn't thrilled.

IUP went on to win by like 37 or something after likely getting blasted at halftime.

That Westminster team actually had 2 or 3 guys who could have easily played for somebody in the PSAC. So, they at least had a pulse.

The last couple times we've been forced to watch these games they've been awful -- Bethany, Pitt-Greensburg.

Biggest concern tomorrow is obviously Joe being smart with his stars. Tort and Joe love to play stars with their team up by 45 points. The issue is his deep bench is banged up. Hopefully those guys are dressed tomorrow so they can play heavy minutes.

It would also be a great day to get Ousmane Diop back in the swing of things (if he's dressed). The semester is over but I'm not sure when he officially gets cleared.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The KCAC Funeral Season starts today ... approximately 7 weeks of no students, cheerleaders, pep band, dance teams, etc.

Looking at the home games in play:

Dec. 11 - PSU-Altoona - Vegas taking prop bets that Redshirt Joe will play Shawndale over or under 34.5 minutes

Dec. 18 - Kutztown (Sunday) - Bears' star Moe Williams hasn't played yet this year. They will be much different with him. No word on return.

Dec. 19 - West Chester (Monday) - Joe hammered them pretty good last year. Expect a tough one.

Jan. 4 - Seton Hill (Wednesday) - Since some film got out, the Griffins have lost 3 straight.

Jan. 7 - Mercyhurst (Saturday) - Nothing needs said here.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Armoni and the Buffalo Portal Bulls are starting to find their way ... winners of three straight.

Last time out, UB hammered rival St. Bonaventure.

Big test upcoming in Morgantown.
    Armoni’s definitely not overmatched. He’s putting up good numbers and is an integral part of their success. Nice to see.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Armoni and the Buffalo Portal Bulls are starting to find their way ... winners of three straight.

Last time out, UB hammered rival St. Bonaventure.

Big test upcoming in Morgantown.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X