X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I've always thought if Clarion would rise to power again ... that could be the toughest gym in the PSAC. It's loud in there at 10 percent capacity. I couldn't imagine it filled up. It's got those old-school, low ceilings. The bleachers are right on top of the court on one side. It's very tight. Gloomy. The average temperature in Tippin is about 98 degrees -- year round.

Don't get me wrong. It's an awful venue. It's heyday was probably in the 1960s. But it could have a really unique homecourt advantage.

A lot of teams, for whatever reason, also struggle at Seton Hill. It's smaller than a high school gym.

I'll still never forget the game a couple years ago. IUP's only loss ever to Seton Hill. That place was beyond insane. There wasn't even anywhere to stand. The crowd was nuts. I think it finally got to Joe so bad he blew up in the final minutes. Got a terrible technical in a real tight game. If they could replicate that atmosphere regularly they wouldn't lose at home often. That game ultimately knocked IUP out of the big tournament.

Many moons ago Cal had a big home court edge inside Hamer Hall. They didn't lose their often.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

I've always thought if Clarion would rise to power again ... that could be the toughest gym in the PSAC. It's loud in there at 10 percent capacity. I couldn't imagine it filled up. It's got those old-school, low ceilings. The bleachers are right on top of the court on one side. It's very tight. Gloomy. The average temperature in Tippin is about 98 degrees -- year round.

Don't get me wrong. It's an awful venue. It's heyday was probably in the 1960s. But it could have a really unique homecourt advantage.

A lot of teams, for whatever reason, also struggle at Seton Hill. It's smaller than a high school gym.

I'll still never forget the game a couple years ago. IUP's only loss ever to Seton Hill. That place was beyond insane. There wasn't even anywhere to stand. The crowd was nuts. I think it finally got to Joe so bad he blew up in the final minutes. Got a terrible technical in a real tight game. If they could replicate that atmosphere regularly they wouldn't lose at home often. That game ultimately knocked IUP out of the big tournament.

Many moons ago Cal had a big home court edge inside Hamer Hall. They didn't lose their often.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It's odd for sure. I think it messes with players' sight-lines. It's not just one team here or there. Most shoot bad there. It's almost like the Carrier Dome issue. No doubt, there's a lot going on in there.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    You might have something there ... I've had a few Gannon fans ask me if Mercyhurst's court is smaller than regulation. I haven't measured, but I'm certain that it is not. The place certainly has an odd configuration ... one side of bleachers is right on top of the court and the other is on a "stage" quite a ways behind the scorers table. The offices behind the end line and the stairs make the place look odd. Also, the three large scoreboards are unnecessarily large and the buzzer is deafening.

The GU/ Hurst games are always lower-scoring at the MAC. Maybe it's the configuration, but I think that Mercyhurst is better able to dictate the Manchel style of play at the MAC.
    Mercyhurst "arena" is a dump. No other explanation needed!!!

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

That gym makes me claustrophobic. Maybe it does the same to the players.
    You might have something there ... I've had a few Gannon fans ask me if Mercyhurst's court is smaller than regulation. I haven't measured, but I'm certain that it is not. The place certainly has an odd configuration ... one side of bleachers is right on top of the court and the other is on a "stage" quite a ways behind the scorers table. The offices behind the end line and the stairs make the place look odd. Also, the three large scoreboards are unnecessarily large and the buzzer is deafening.

The GU/ Hurst games are always lower-scoring at the MAC. Maybe it's the configuration, but I think that Mercyhurst is better able to dictate the Manchel style of play at the MAC.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That gym makes me claustrophobic. Maybe it does the same to the players.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Cal is also down Barrett this season. But you're absolutely right, it's downright crazy and makes no sense at all. Makes it kind of exciting though to see what happens next.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Irish Tom has a challenge Wednesday night. Seton Hill Ladies are a nice team.
    Yeah, you don't want to look the gift horse of Cal losing to SH in the mouth. IUP WBB need to keep winning and get that PSAC tourney at the KCAC.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Irish Tom has a challenge Wednesday night. Seton Hill Ladies are a nice team.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-22-2018, 04:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    But even without one of their better players, how could Cal have lost to Mercyhurst. Maria Lapertosa did not play for the Lakers either. Mercyhurst looked awful in a 29-point loss to a decent-at-best Gannon squad (who was down by 32 at the half at home to Boro the previous week).
    Cal is also down Barrett this season. But you're absolutely right, it's downright crazy and makes no sense at all. Makes it kind of exciting though to see what happens next.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

IUP is currently 10-2 in conference and 14-5 overall. Gannon and SRU play each other Wednesday so somebody is taking a loss.

Rest of the way:

Seton Hill
    @ Mercyhurst
    @ Slippery Rock
    Gannon
    UPJ
    @ Gannon
    @ Clarion
    California
    Edinboro
    @ Seton Hill

Certainly 8-2 is probably the minimum expected over these final 10 games prior to the conference tournament. The two biggest question marks will be the trips to SRU and Gannon (back to back). The rematches with UPJ and Edinboro will be tough but winnable at home. The game at Mercyhurst this Saturday is a little tricky. The Lakers cause IUP some fits.

Unfortunately, as I knew it would, this is where the 0-2 start against Findlay and Ferris State is coming back to bite. I think for Joe to see the Regional the team needs to go 9-1 to end the regular season. Say they go 2-1 in the conference tournament and that puts the resume at 23-7 with a strong SOS including a head-to-head win against Fairmont State. That likely gets them in the dance -- probably somewhere between a 6-8 seed.

If they finish these last 10 games at 8-2 or 7-3 ... the only path may be to win the PSAC Tournament (which will be on the road). I see the merits of playing the type of early schedule they took on ... it can help in March. However, as is the case this year, it may prevent them from even seeing March (use Brandon Norfleet's senior year as the prime example).

If nothing else, it's going to make the stretch run pretty exciting.

The road trip to SRU is going to a madhouse. That will be the biggest crowd at SRU in a long time. Add to it the circus of Round 1. The trip to Gannon is a Saturday night. Even with their dropping attendance I think they'll rally the troops for a big crowd. Things could look drastically different by the trip to Erie, however.

It's going to be a crazy finish and give me lots of gray hairs!!! My own players do that already... I'm screwed! hahaha

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

But even without one of their better players, how could Cal have lost to Mercyhurst. Maria Lapertosa did not play for the Lakers either. Mercyhurst looked awful in a 29-point loss to a decent-at-best Gannon squad (who was down by 32 at the half at home to Boro the previous week).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

IUP is currently 10-2 in conference and 14-5 overall. Gannon and SRU play each other Wednesday so somebody is taking a loss.

Rest of the way:

Seton Hill
    @ Mercyhurst
    @ Slippery Rock
    Gannon
    UPJ
    @ Gannon
    @ Clarion
    California
    Edinboro
    @ Seton Hill

Certainly 8-2 is probably the minimum expected over these final 10 games prior to the conference tournament. The two biggest question marks will be the trips to SRU and Gannon (back to back). The rematches with UPJ and Edinboro will be tough but winnable at home. The game at Mercyhurst this Saturday is a little tricky. The Lakers cause IUP some fits.

Unfortunately, as I knew it would, this is where the 0-2 start against Findlay and Ferris State is coming back to bite. I think for Joe to see the Regional the team needs to go 9-1 to end the regular season. Say they go 2-1 in the conference tournament and that puts the resume at 23-7 with a strong SOS including a head-to-head win against Fairmont State. That likely gets them in the dance -- probably somewhere between a 6-8 seed.

If they finish these last 10 games at 8-2 or 7-3 ... the only path may be to win the PSAC Tournament (which will be on the road). I see the merits of playing the type of early schedule they took on ... it can help in March. However, as is the case this year, it may prevent them from even seeing March (use Brandon Norfleet's senior year as the prime example).

If nothing else, it's going to make the stretch run pretty exciting.

The road trip to SRU is going to a madhouse. That will be the biggest crowd at SRU in a long time. Add to it the circus of Round 1. The trip to Gannon is a Saturday night. Even with their dropping attendance I think they'll rally the troops for a big crowd. Things could look drastically different by the trip to Erie, however.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X