• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    I think the general point is about the atmosphere. Sure, you go to see the basketball game. But you enjoy the crowd being involved and into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point. Its very similar to the debate about the Pirates. If you're a true baseball person you can enjoy going to see the Washington Wild Things for $5. But its not the same thing as going to a Pirates game. Why? Atmosphere. Its still baseball but they're not in the same league for atmosphere. A small Division II court can feel 'big time' if the people want it.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I think the general point is about the atmosphere. Sure, you go to see the basketball game. But you enjoy the crowd being involved and into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Gannon edinboro game really boosted the average. Take out that game attendance average is 540 a game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It's everywhere. There are 12 teams in the PSAC right now drawing less than 297 per game.

Notice the trend for IUP and Gannon -- the two yearly leaders in attendance:

Starting with the current season and in descending order:

IUP

794 (current season)

Gannon

640 (current season)

Those are pretty eye-opening declines. Including the current season, IUP's 7-year average is 1,357. Gannon's 7-year average is 916. So, going by the 7-year number (good sample size), IUP is down 563 per game this season. Gannon is down 276 per game.

Now, it's logical to say the games over break bring down the number. However, in IUP's case, they played just three home games over the break -- and each one exceeded the season average. Figure that one out. In other words, the team is drawing better, per the gate numbers, with students not on campus.

IUP only has (5) regular season home games left -- three of which are on Saturday nights (which generally draw better).

Make of this little example what you want but if anything else it's interesting to see the numbers.

As someone who attends the home games, this is really the first year you can notice the big decline. As to why ... opinions vary.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-17-2018, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    One thing that has hurt Gannon is the Erie Bayhawks G-League team and to a lesser extent, the Erie Otters OHL team (especially when Connor McDavid played there from 2012-15).

Both teams play at the newly refurbished Erie Insurance Arena -- it is beautiful and a few blocks away from the Hammermill. The games are as much about the atmosphere and entertainment as they are basketball. Their marketing is robust and and they cater to the families. You never see young people or families with kids at Gannon -- they are all down the street at the EIA.
    I don't think the Bayhawks or Otters have any effect on Gannon's attendance. The Bayhawks games aren't well attended unless free tickets are given to K-8 grade students. I think the Gannon attendance is down some because of the style basketball played there. Reilly will always win but is that style fun to watch for the casual fan?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It should be a good doubleheader tonight.

I haven't heard much of who is playing or not playing for the Cal ladies. I assume that's being held pretty close to the vest. IUP can get a nice little lead in the West with a win tonight. Cal leads the all-time women's series, 45-36. Irish Tom is 2-8 against the Vulcans in his tenure.

The men's game ... every IUP game this season is a thriller so I expect no different tonight. IUP just doesn't have the bench to knock teams out. It should be an exciting game. Cal is one of the top-scoring offensive teams in the PSAC (84.7 ppg) but also the worst defensive team in the conference (88 ppg). I'm projecting something around 90-85 IUP -- likely close in to the final 120 seconds.

Bravado Joe is 18-6 against Cal -- including five straight wins in California. IUP leads the all-time men's series, 112-72.

I'd really like to see Blake get going tonight. His minutes are shrinking and I'm sure his confidence is a bit, too. Two straight games he's picked up four fouls in less than 13 minutes. He's playing out of position but that's a moot point now. They need him. He can spread the floor nicely.

Side note: Minus Indiana Borough, where is seems salt is banned, the rest of PA has pretty decent roads. Hopefully IUP gets some fans down there in the Viet Mon tonight. Plenty of good seats available.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Is Erie keeping their G-League franchise? I know they're affiliated with the Atlanta Hawks this season, but Atlanta's launching their own G-League affiliate in Atlanta for the 2019-2020 season.
    To my knowledge, there are no plans for the G-League franchise to relocate. Erie's had other affiliations over the years before the Hawks.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Even after three years living in the dump that is Cal Boro, I can't really recommend any good eats other than Dairy Queen or Subway - if either of them are still around.
    Hey, some of us did tell you to come to IUP awhile back you know.

I recall the one local doctor telling me that he and his family were heading down to Cal for some sporting event and his daughter was trying to decide if she would rather go to Red Lobster or Olive Garden. The good doctor just broke out laughing and told her to forget about any of that. There's nothing there he informed her.

-

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    One thing that has hurt Gannon is the Erie Bayhawks G-League team and to a lesser extent, the Erie Otters OHL team (especially when Connor McDavid played there from 2012-15).

Both teams play at the newly refurbished Erie Insurance Arena -- it is beautiful and a few blocks away from the Hammermill. The games are as much about the atmosphere and entertainment as they are basketball. Their marketing is robust and and they cater to the families. You never see young people or families with kids at Gannon -- they are all down the street at the EIA.
    Is Erie keeping their G-League franchise? I know they're affiliated with the Atlanta Hawks this season, but Atlanta's launching their own G-League affiliate in Atlanta for the 2019-2020 season.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm considering leaving Pittsburgh a bit early Wednesday and heading down to the Angelo Dome. Looks like a good doubleheader.

Any advice from you Vulcans on a good dining spot before the game? Is that bar/restaurant way up on the hill (overlooking town) still open?

Two years ago I remember getting in to town late and grabbing dinner at the student union. Campus food has come a long way compared to the slop in the late 90s.

I fully anticipate the men's game to be another tight one. Maybe IUP pulls away late. I've watched quite a few Cal games this year. They have some real nice offensive players who can score the ball.
    Even after three years living in the dump that is Cal Boro, I can't really recommend any good eats other than Dairy Queen or Subway - if either of them are still around.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It's a factor in the total crowd but the students get in free. I'm not so much talking the gate but just the energy in the building.

You've been to several games. Most have the excitment of a nursing home.

They certainly need more townies to feel the place up better but the real juice comes from the students.

IUP aside, if you watch the live feeds from other schools in the PSAC ... there's nobody at these games. This game at Cal tomorrow night will have 200 people, maybe, in a 6,000 seat arena. I was at Cal last year with nobody within 13 rows of me ... in front or back. It was insane.

Gannon in the 80s and 90s ... my goodness. Place was a zoo. It barely gets 600 now.

Clarion, UPJ, Mercyhurst, Edinboro ... the numbers are just awful. I try and hit 5-6 road games a year. I've been to several with 50 people in the stands.

It's strange. At every West school (except the Taj Mahal in Indiana) it's a cheap night and a decently entertaining product.

It is a culture. And that culture is at rock bottom in the PSAC right now. It's a shame. The kids are missing out on a good show.

The KCAC just has that set up, sound system, a freaking bar ... man, could it rock if anybody cared -- or could afford to go. They've lost their minds.

Believe me I wasn't starting the IUP rant again ... I was just really impressed with Bellarmine. Envious, I guess.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-16-2018, 08:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X