X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    KJ and Petteno won't be returning. Romero-Sanz had to make way for Triggs , simple as that. Might be a decision Joe regrets but time will tell
    OK. Thanks.

So, that said:

Joe has (10) guys on the roster.

Just guessing, but, salary cap-wise, I'd say this is the breakdown:

Guard

Garvin Clarke FULL
    Dallis Dillard FULL
    Denzel Kabasele FULL
    Ian Herring (incoming freshman) FULL
    Sarp Furtun HALF
    Anthony Watson HALF

Forward

Damir Brooks FULL
    Luke Triggs (Mercyhurst transfer) FULL
    Callum MacNamara (walk-on) WALK-ON (although he could be getting a very small slice by now)
    Tyler Grove (incoming freshman) FULL

So, 10 players and 8 equivalencies.

The roster will obviously grow to at least 13-14 players. I'd guess he still signs (2) more scholarship players (perhaps 1 full ride and 1 half ride). The last two spots will be the traditional local tokens (or similar).

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied
    KJ and Petteno won't be returning. Romero-Sanz had to make way for Triggs , simple as that. Might be a decision Joe regrets but time will tell

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    It's not late. Some of Joe's best transfers in the past have signed in June. There are TONS of players out there.

That said, here's the known roster as of today (10 players confirmed):

Guard

Garvin Clarke
    Dallis Dillard
    Denzel Kabasele
    Ian Herring (incoming freshman)
    Sarp Furtun
    Anthony Watson

Forward

Damir Brooks
    Luke Triggs (Mercyhurst transfer)
    Callum MacNamara (walk-on)
    Tyler Grove (incoming freshman)

Remaining eligibility but status unknown:

KJ Rhodes
    Josh Petteno

It goes without saying the Forward position is extremely alarming as of right now.
    If Rhodes and Petteno return, what's the estimated win total for that group?

The college football OVER/UNDER wins are beginning to circulate. I'm in the mood for a gambling discussion lol

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It's not late. Some of Joe's best transfers in the past have signed in June. There are TONS of players out there.

That said, here's the known roster as of today (10 players confirmed):

Guard

Garvin Clarke
    Dallis Dillard
    Denzel Kabasele
    Ian Herring (incoming freshman)
    Sarp Furtun
    Anthony Watson

Forward

Damir Brooks
    Luke Triggs (Mercyhurst transfer)
    Callum MacNamara (walk-on)
    Tyler Grove (incoming freshman)

Remaining eligibility but status unknown:

KJ Rhodes
    Josh Petteno

It goes without saying the Forward position is extremely alarming as of right now.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

The KJ situation is unknown (unknown, at least, to us dorks). Same with Petteno.

Petteno was one of the best players on the team the last several weeks. Once Joe quit trying to make him play underneath he really started to excel. I'd actually love to have him back for a full season at his natural position. He is very physical and brings a toughness. As we saw, he can also (as advertised) shoot the ball.

KJ is a WHOLE other discussion.

Keep in mind Joe has only signed three players thus far. Triggs is obviously going to play (start) right away. Joe's already talking about playing Ian Herring at numerous positions (the guard from The Kiski School). Remember, he's a year older than a typical incoming freshman. I suspect he will play right away. IUP beat out a ton of top programs for him. Physically, he's ready to go. We'll see how he transitions. The other incoming freshman ... I surely suspect will redshirt (as per Joe tradition).
    I think with where I sit, some of the math isn't adding up for me. You mentioned before, it is late at this stage to transfer (even though 60% of guys who did still don't have a home). I feel like the two big "rumors" that were out there other than our friend from Cal have both sailed. So it's not like they are making room for one of them. But I also recognize there are a ton of guys out there. That said, those left... There's probably a reason why.

I do fear it's a usage thing regarding next year. Joe and Romero-Sanz may not have been aligned. He left. It may not be more complicated than that. I hope that isn't the story, but I'm thinking that's what it may very well be.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I hope you are right. But he could have also transferred because Joe wouldn’t give him a clear cut idea of what his role is going to be. And given Joe’s history of burying guys, slowly bringing guys along, etc., he just left. Fite knows that, took him, and didn’t think twice. I would not rule that out either.

I could have missed it, but is the KJ eligibility thing decided? You are alluding to him leaving being part of, I’ll call, a “larger transaction.” But what if he's out the door because KJ is returning and he didn’t get confirmation he would be above him in the lineup/rotation? Yikes.

The KJ situation is unknown (unknown, at least, to us dorks). Same with Petteno.

Petteno was one of the best players on the team the last several weeks. Once Joe quit trying to make him play underneath he really started to excel. I'd actually love to have him back for a full season at his natural position. He is very physical and brings a toughness. As we saw, he can also (as advertised) shoot the ball.

KJ is a WHOLE other discussion.

Keep in mind Joe has only signed three players thus far. Triggs is obviously going to play (start) right away. Joe's already talking about playing Ian Herring at numerous positions (the guard from The Kiski School). Remember, he's a year older than a typical incoming freshman. I suspect he will play right away. IUP beat out a ton of top programs for him. Physically, he's ready to go. We'll see how he transitions. The other incoming freshman ... I surely suspect will redshirt (as per Joe tradition).

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    There's something we don't know yet.

Fite wasn't taking Romero-Sanz on a whim. There's a reason Joe let him walk.

I know first-hand he (Romero-Sanz) was all pi$$ed he had to redshirt last year -- especially given what that position amounted to (Jack Squat).

We're missing a piece to this story. Hopefully said piece is worth the wait.
    I hope you are right. But he could have also transferred because Joe wouldn’t give him a clear cut idea of what his role is going to be. And given Joe’s history of burying guys, slowly bringing guys along, etc., he just left. Fite knows that, took him, and didn’t think twice. I would not rule that out either.

I could have missed it, but is the KJ eligibility thing decided? You are alluding to him leaving being part of, I’ll call, a “larger transaction.” But what if he's out the door because KJ is returning and he didn’t get confirmation he would be above him in the lineup/rotation? Yikes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    I'll say it... Not a chance Romero-Sanz wasn't a better player than KJ.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    There's something we don't know yet.

Fite wasn't taking Romero-Sanz on a whim. There's a reason Joe let him walk.

I know first-hand he (Romero-Sanz) was all pi$$ed he had to redshirt last year -- especially given what that position amounted to (Jack Squat).

We're missing a piece to this story. Hopefully said piece is worth the wait.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    Romero -Sanz committed to Shippensburg
    Interesting. For all the consternation over guys that Joe gives up on or never gives a chance at all, rarely, if ever, do said players go on to anything of significance on the court elsewhere. We’ll get first hand accounts from Ship fans as to whether this is that rare player Joe regrets letting get away.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Given that there is no more Mercyhurt and that apparently Gannon and Cal are losing a ton of good players, I would think IUP's prospects in the West certainly look about as good as anyone else's.
    That could be true. Certainly when you look at them compared to those they are competing with in their own division, it may change the conversation some.

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied
    Romero -Sanz committed to Shippensburg

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree with this overall. Ethan isn't a 1 for 1 replacement. You can replace players in a committee approach, but I'm not really sure they have the committee that exists to even begin to take a bite out of those minutes, points, etc. That said, to your point, the guards will them games. The backcourt is good, and guys will be in the fold who weren't last year due to injury. But I'm not necessarily convinced things will be... better

I'm not asking for them to be a legitimate Regional Title contender. But given the year they had, I think simply getting back to the NCAA Tournament will be a success.
    Given that there is no more Mercyhurt and that apparently Gannon and Cal are losing a ton of good players, I would think IUP's prospects in the West certainly look about as good as anyone else's.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I know it’s only mid-May but I don’t like how things are shaping up. You can’t replace Ethan exactly but you also can’t go from Ethan to what amounts to unproven or inconsistent players at forward. With the guards they have they’ll win a lot of games but the lack of an inside presence won’t fly when they play someone that has good bigs, and the better teams will have them. I don’t expect we’ll see a completely different style of play next year but then again, what do I know? I’m just saying six months away from next season I’m a little nervous.
    I agree with this overall. Ethan isn't a 1 for 1 replacement. You can replace players in a committee approach, but I'm not really sure they have the committee that exists to even begin to take a bite out of those minutes, points, etc. That said, to your point, the guards will them games. The backcourt is good, and guys will be in the fold who weren't last year due to injury. But I'm not necessarily convinced things will be... better

I'm not asking for them to be a legitimate Regional Title contender. But given the year they had, I think simply getting back to the NCAA Tournament will be a success.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

I agree the Tomiwa ship sailed. That said, I HIGHLY doubt McNamara is really in the plans. He may play some (in a role similar to what Shawn Ulrich did).

I still think Joe is shopping for a starter. He'll play Damir but limited.

Triggs will start alongside whomever the next signee (transfer) is.

Just my two cents but I don't see any way possible Joe starts Brooks.

Remember, the thing we don't know is if either KJ or Petteno is staying to use their final year. I'd love to see Petteno stay (and actually be used correctly). If KJ stays, well, we know dang sure he'll be starting. Joe loves him some KJ.
    I know it’s only mid-May but I don’t like how things are shaping up. You can’t replace Ethan exactly but you also can’t go from Ethan to what amounts to unproven or inconsistent players at forward. With the guards they have they’ll win a lot of games but the lack of an inside presence won’t fly when they play someone that has good bigs, and the better teams will have them. I don’t expect we’ll see a completely different style of play next year but then again, what do I know? I’m just saying six months away from next season I’m a little nervous.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X