X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

By Joe? That’d be extremely unfair. Not sure many more EP’s are going to be walking through that door, especially in this new landscape.

I’m surprised they haven’t gone the grad transfer route. There’s one more year of the COVID extra eligibility kids. That’s what allowed Gannon to flip it so quickly last year. Brought in 3-4 23 year olds that were all productive.
    You know, there’s always the possibility that kids are saying “no thanks” to IUP and picking other places. I know, what a blasphemous statement!

The facility is incredible as is the history of success, and IUP is a pretty nice place to go to college. However, that’s not necessarily enough anymore. Kids talk more than ever these days and maybe word on the street is it’s not currently the best place to offer your basketball talents when you have so many choices. What the reasons would be for kids to pass I can’t speak to but I thought it was worth throwing out there that maybe it’s not the draw we think it is. Clarke was a great pickup but name me 2-3 other transfers that made an impact. That, combined with some misses on the recruiting trail, has taken some of the luster off what IUP has to offer.

IUP is only three seasons removed from a Final Four run and two seasons removed from an appearance in the regional championship game. Even last year wasn’t awful as they made the PSAC tournament, but I think it’s the direction things could be trending making the fan base nervous. This roster would lose to the 2021-22 roster by 25 and there doesn’t appear to be anyone walking through the door that’s going to change that. We’ve been spoiled by the success here so perspectives might be skewed, but I think the reasons for concern are justified.

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if Tyler Grove is expected to be the next EP.
    By Joe? That’d be extremely unfair. Not sure many more EP’s are going to be walking through that door, especially in this new landscape.

I’m surprised they haven’t gone the grad transfer route. There’s one more year of the COVID extra eligibility kids. That’s what allowed Gannon to flip it so quickly last year. Brought in 3-4 23 year olds that were all productive.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    I wouldn't be shocked if Tyler Grove is expected to be the next EP.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Moving the conversation over to this thread ...

I certainly think it is fair to question the recruiting season up to this point.

As of today, Joe has (10) players on the roster. I'll preface that by saying (10) 'known' players. Perhaps we've missed something, but, that's pretty rare in this social media age.

Nonetheless, as of now, we can only talk about what we know. Two of the players, Dallis and Denzel, are coming off ACL injuries. That's a huge pair of questions marks. We've seen some come back the next season and never miss a beat. Others, like Tommy Demo, weren't the same. Both will be counted on heavily.

Garvin Clarke is by far the surest bet on the roster. He was at an elite level last season when he didn't have to try and be Allen Iverson. When others stepped up, he thrived. He will be one the best guards in the Region this winter.

From there, just about every other slot has question marks.

Dillard and Denzel will be massive boosts (if healthy). Both are big, strong guards and elite defenders.

Ian Herring will be expected to play immediately. He's a legit 6'6" combo guard/forward. Unfortunately, I think we all know where this is going. He will need to add some weight to play at the SF position. As I suspect that is where he will actually play in 24-25, he will be a huge upgrade at the position compared to last season. He's very quick and can shoot. That said, Joe will need to play him there more like a four-guard set, rather than trying to make him play like a traditional forward. He may grow in to that role, physically, but he's not there yet. Joe has already mentioned they will play him all over the court.

Sarp had his moments -- good and bad -- last season. He was a typical true freshman. Sans the other injuries, he would have redshirted. As the deer-in-the-headlights wore off, we saw some good things. That said, he really needs a strong off-season. I suspect his confidence will be much higher entering Year 2.

Anthony Watson signed last year to be the backup PG. He also was injured in camp and redshirted. He should provide a nice depth piece this season. He has nice size for a PG, and played at BC3 for two years prior to IUP.

Under the basket, things get dicey -- quickly.

Damir decided to stick around -- to the surprise of most. Unless a ready-to-go forward arrives, he will be the opening night starter at SF. Obviously, Damir is the polar opposite of the traditional Joe SF. He's not going to be launching treys, etc. But, he can be a pretty dominate rebounder and shot blocker. He has to stay clean, foul-wise, and, his awareness has to improve (i.e. he struggles with cleanly catching no-look passes, etc.). With a good off-season -- and hopefully exiting Joe's doghouse -- he could be a breakout candidate.

McNamara will likely spell Triggs. He was actually coming on last season before he, too, was lost for the season. He's not going to be a heavy-minute player, but he can contribute in bits. He's a really big guy and is hard to move around.

Triggs has the small task of replacing Ethan Porterfield. Very different players. Triggs isn't an outside shooter like EP but he is much faster around the basket and probably an upgrade on the defensive end.

Tyler Grove will likely be a very good small forward in a year or two. But, I don't see him in the mix for this upcoming season.

So, I think the needs are obvious. Joe needs another post player -- one who can contribute immediately (to some degree). I also think they need one more guard for insurance purposes. Those ACL recoveries are risky.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    KJ and Petteno won't be returning. Romero-Sanz had to make way for Triggs , simple as that. Might be a decision Joe regrets but time will tell
    OK. Thanks.

So, that said:

Joe has (10) guys on the roster.

Just guessing, but, salary cap-wise, I'd say this is the breakdown:

Guard

Garvin Clarke FULL
    Dallis Dillard FULL
    Denzel Kabasele FULL
    Ian Herring (incoming freshman) FULL
    Sarp Furtun HALF
    Anthony Watson HALF

Forward

Damir Brooks FULL
    Luke Triggs (Mercyhurst transfer) FULL
    Callum MacNamara (walk-on) WALK-ON (although he could be getting a very small slice by now)
    Tyler Grove (incoming freshman) FULL

So, 10 players and 8 equivalencies.

The roster will obviously grow to at least 13-14 players. I'd guess he still signs (2) more scholarship players (perhaps 1 full ride and 1 half ride). The last two spots will be the traditional local tokens (or similar).

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied
    KJ and Petteno won't be returning. Romero-Sanz had to make way for Triggs , simple as that. Might be a decision Joe regrets but time will tell

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    It's not late. Some of Joe's best transfers in the past have signed in June. There are TONS of players out there.

That said, here's the known roster as of today (10 players confirmed):

Guard

Garvin Clarke
    Dallis Dillard
    Denzel Kabasele
    Ian Herring (incoming freshman)
    Sarp Furtun
    Anthony Watson

Forward

Damir Brooks
    Luke Triggs (Mercyhurst transfer)
    Callum MacNamara (walk-on)
    Tyler Grove (incoming freshman)

Remaining eligibility but status unknown:

KJ Rhodes
    Josh Petteno

It goes without saying the Forward position is extremely alarming as of right now.
    If Rhodes and Petteno return, what's the estimated win total for that group?

The college football OVER/UNDER wins are beginning to circulate. I'm in the mood for a gambling discussion lol

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It's not late. Some of Joe's best transfers in the past have signed in June. There are TONS of players out there.

That said, here's the known roster as of today (10 players confirmed):

Guard

Garvin Clarke
    Dallis Dillard
    Denzel Kabasele
    Ian Herring (incoming freshman)
    Sarp Furtun
    Anthony Watson

Forward

Damir Brooks
    Luke Triggs (Mercyhurst transfer)
    Callum MacNamara (walk-on)
    Tyler Grove (incoming freshman)

Remaining eligibility but status unknown:

KJ Rhodes
    Josh Petteno

It goes without saying the Forward position is extremely alarming as of right now.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

The KJ situation is unknown (unknown, at least, to us dorks). Same with Petteno.

Petteno was one of the best players on the team the last several weeks. Once Joe quit trying to make him play underneath he really started to excel. I'd actually love to have him back for a full season at his natural position. He is very physical and brings a toughness. As we saw, he can also (as advertised) shoot the ball.

KJ is a WHOLE other discussion.

Keep in mind Joe has only signed three players thus far. Triggs is obviously going to play (start) right away. Joe's already talking about playing Ian Herring at numerous positions (the guard from The Kiski School). Remember, he's a year older than a typical incoming freshman. I suspect he will play right away. IUP beat out a ton of top programs for him. Physically, he's ready to go. We'll see how he transitions. The other incoming freshman ... I surely suspect will redshirt (as per Joe tradition).
    I think with where I sit, some of the math isn't adding up for me. You mentioned before, it is late at this stage to transfer (even though 60% of guys who did still don't have a home). I feel like the two big "rumors" that were out there other than our friend from Cal have both sailed. So it's not like they are making room for one of them. But I also recognize there are a ton of guys out there. That said, those left... There's probably a reason why.

I do fear it's a usage thing regarding next year. Joe and Romero-Sanz may not have been aligned. He left. It may not be more complicated than that. I hope that isn't the story, but I'm thinking that's what it may very well be.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I hope you are right. But he could have also transferred because Joe wouldn’t give him a clear cut idea of what his role is going to be. And given Joe’s history of burying guys, slowly bringing guys along, etc., he just left. Fite knows that, took him, and didn’t think twice. I would not rule that out either.

I could have missed it, but is the KJ eligibility thing decided? You are alluding to him leaving being part of, I’ll call, a “larger transaction.” But what if he's out the door because KJ is returning and he didn’t get confirmation he would be above him in the lineup/rotation? Yikes.

The KJ situation is unknown (unknown, at least, to us dorks). Same with Petteno.

Petteno was one of the best players on the team the last several weeks. Once Joe quit trying to make him play underneath he really started to excel. I'd actually love to have him back for a full season at his natural position. He is very physical and brings a toughness. As we saw, he can also (as advertised) shoot the ball.

KJ is a WHOLE other discussion.

Keep in mind Joe has only signed three players thus far. Triggs is obviously going to play (start) right away. Joe's already talking about playing Ian Herring at numerous positions (the guard from The Kiski School). Remember, he's a year older than a typical incoming freshman. I suspect he will play right away. IUP beat out a ton of top programs for him. Physically, he's ready to go. We'll see how he transitions. The other incoming freshman ... I surely suspect will redshirt (as per Joe tradition).

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    There's something we don't know yet.

Fite wasn't taking Romero-Sanz on a whim. There's a reason Joe let him walk.

I know first-hand he (Romero-Sanz) was all pi$$ed he had to redshirt last year -- especially given what that position amounted to (Jack Squat).

We're missing a piece to this story. Hopefully said piece is worth the wait.
    I hope you are right. But he could have also transferred because Joe wouldn’t give him a clear cut idea of what his role is going to be. And given Joe’s history of burying guys, slowly bringing guys along, etc., he just left. Fite knows that, took him, and didn’t think twice. I would not rule that out either.

I could have missed it, but is the KJ eligibility thing decided? You are alluding to him leaving being part of, I’ll call, a “larger transaction.” But what if he's out the door because KJ is returning and he didn’t get confirmation he would be above him in the lineup/rotation? Yikes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    I'll say it... Not a chance Romero-Sanz wasn't a better player than KJ.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    There's something we don't know yet.

Fite wasn't taking Romero-Sanz on a whim. There's a reason Joe let him walk.

I know first-hand he (Romero-Sanz) was all pi$$ed he had to redshirt last year -- especially given what that position amounted to (Jack Squat).

We're missing a piece to this story. Hopefully said piece is worth the wait.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    Romero -Sanz committed to Shippensburg
    Interesting. For all the consternation over guys that Joe gives up on or never gives a chance at all, rarely, if ever, do said players go on to anything of significance on the court elsewhere. We’ll get first hand accounts from Ship fans as to whether this is that rare player Joe regrets letting get away.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Given that there is no more Mercyhurt and that apparently Gannon and Cal are losing a ton of good players, I would think IUP's prospects in the West certainly look about as good as anyone else's.
    That could be true. Certainly when you look at them compared to those they are competing with in their own division, it may change the conversation some.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X