X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    There's something we don't know yet.

Fite wasn't taking Romero-Sanz on a whim. There's a reason Joe let him walk.

I know first-hand he (Romero-Sanz) was all pi$$ed he had to redshirt last year -- especially given what that position amounted to (Jack Squat).

We're missing a piece to this story. Hopefully said piece is worth the wait.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    Romero -Sanz committed to Shippensburg
    Interesting. For all the consternation over guys that Joe gives up on or never gives a chance at all, rarely, if ever, do said players go on to anything of significance on the court elsewhere. We’ll get first hand accounts from Ship fans as to whether this is that rare player Joe regrets letting get away.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Given that there is no more Mercyhurt and that apparently Gannon and Cal are losing a ton of good players, I would think IUP's prospects in the West certainly look about as good as anyone else's.
    That could be true. Certainly when you look at them compared to those they are competing with in their own division, it may change the conversation some.

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied
    Romero -Sanz committed to Shippensburg

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree with this overall. Ethan isn't a 1 for 1 replacement. You can replace players in a committee approach, but I'm not really sure they have the committee that exists to even begin to take a bite out of those minutes, points, etc. That said, to your point, the guards will them games. The backcourt is good, and guys will be in the fold who weren't last year due to injury. But I'm not necessarily convinced things will be... better

I'm not asking for them to be a legitimate Regional Title contender. But given the year they had, I think simply getting back to the NCAA Tournament will be a success.
    Given that there is no more Mercyhurt and that apparently Gannon and Cal are losing a ton of good players, I would think IUP's prospects in the West certainly look about as good as anyone else's.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I know it’s only mid-May but I don’t like how things are shaping up. You can’t replace Ethan exactly but you also can’t go from Ethan to what amounts to unproven or inconsistent players at forward. With the guards they have they’ll win a lot of games but the lack of an inside presence won’t fly when they play someone that has good bigs, and the better teams will have them. I don’t expect we’ll see a completely different style of play next year but then again, what do I know? I’m just saying six months away from next season I’m a little nervous.
    I agree with this overall. Ethan isn't a 1 for 1 replacement. You can replace players in a committee approach, but I'm not really sure they have the committee that exists to even begin to take a bite out of those minutes, points, etc. That said, to your point, the guards will them games. The backcourt is good, and guys will be in the fold who weren't last year due to injury. But I'm not necessarily convinced things will be... better

I'm not asking for them to be a legitimate Regional Title contender. But given the year they had, I think simply getting back to the NCAA Tournament will be a success.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I agree the Tomiwa ship sailed. That said, I HIGHLY doubt McNamara is really in the plans. He may play some (in a role similar to what Shawn Ulrich did).

I still think Joe is shopping for a starter. He'll play Damir but limited.

Triggs will start alongside whomever the next signee (transfer) is.

Just my two cents but I don't see any way possible Joe starts Brooks.

Remember, the thing we don't know is if either KJ or Petteno is staying to use their final year. I'd love to see Petteno stay (and actually be used correctly). If KJ stays, well, we know dang sure he'll be starting. Joe loves him some KJ.
    I know it’s only mid-May but I don’t like how things are shaping up. You can’t replace Ethan exactly but you also can’t go from Ethan to what amounts to unproven or inconsistent players at forward. With the guards they have they’ll win a lot of games but the lack of an inside presence won’t fly when they play someone that has good bigs, and the better teams will have them. I don’t expect we’ll see a completely different style of play next year but then again, what do I know? I’m just saying six months away from next season I’m a little nervous.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post

Can't see Tomiwa coming back. Everyone seems to be forgetting the other forward in MacNamara.
    I agree the Tomiwa ship sailed. That said, I HIGHLY doubt McNamara is really in the plans. He may play some (in a role similar to what Shawn Ulrich did).

I still think Joe is shopping for a starter. He'll play Damir but limited.

Triggs will start alongside whomever the next signee (transfer) is.

Just my two cents but I don't see any way possible Joe starts Brooks.

Remember, the thing we don't know is if either KJ or Petteno is staying to use their final year. I'd love to see Petteno stay (and actually be used correctly). If KJ stays, well, we know dang sure he'll be starting. Joe loves him some KJ.

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied

Biggest secret in town.

Perhaps there is a reason Romero-Sanz left on the day the portal closed.
    Can't see Tomiwa coming back. Everyone seems to be forgetting the other forward in MacNamara.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

With Waldo, there’s a lot we don’t see that may have come into play. Maybe he didn’t put in the effort to gain size and strength last off season and it led to him not being competitive in the rough style of the PSAC. Or, maybe he tried and couldn’t and on top of that lost his shooting touch and a lot of confidence. It may just be he’s a D3 player and that’s the right place for him. The list of dominant high school players that didn’t make it at the next level is long because it’s such a different game with wide variations in competition.

Romero-Sanz may go down as one of the most talked about IUP players that never actually put on a uniform.

I’m pretty surprised to hear that Stewart hasn’t signed yet. He was inconsistent here, but overall a very good player in my opinion that could handle the ball well and was a streaky shooter.

In terms of overall signings for IUP, this won’t be a popular opinion but if the group that’s here now ends up being THE group, 2024-25 may look a lot like 2023-24. It’s great to have a stable full of good guards but you can’t win without good forwards and you certainly can’t make a playoff run without at least one dominant one. Add to that the loss of Ethan and everything he brought to the table and the IUP faithful should be a little bit nervous right now. Realistically, what impact forward is IUP going to sign at this point? I know there’s still time but…
    Romero-Sanz didn't wait until Deadline Day to enter the Portal on his own accord. That's my guess, anyway. Something is brewing and Joe needed money and roster space.

I have a lot of sympathy for Romero-Sanz. He without question should have not only played last year but played a decent amount. What Joe did at the SF position was inexcusable and ruined their whole season.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I agree with all of that. But it gets back to my original thought/comment on Harris and the roster. You finished your post by saying "this next big to sign best be a dawg." Does Harris 'have that dawg in him' as they like to say? The injuries set off a chain reaction. I get that. I think with those guys, but also with an extremely weak front court, they are still at best a 20-21 win team next year. That's just my opinion, and I'll be happy to be wrong this time next year.

Would Harris be transformative enough of a signing to entirely change the conversation going into next year? That's the answer I'm asking for.
    You have to remember how many close games IUP lost last year even with no Dillard and Kasabele -- and, playing 5 on 4

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

You have to remember also this isn't 6 years ago. Transformative bigs ... all leave to play small D1.
    Perhaps my wording was too hyperbolic in nature. But I think you get what I'm saying and where I'm coming from. My concern is the collection of characters they have will just not give them enough production in the front court. Perhaps Joe isn't expecting to get production - at all - from a scoring standpoint with the front court.

Again, I get that Ethan is not a one for one replacement. They just need something resembling somebody who can score in the front court in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Is our guy graduating? Lol
    Biggest secret in town.

Perhaps there is a reason Romero-Sanz left on the day the portal closed.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

You have to remember also this isn't 6 years ago. Transformative bigs ... all leave to play small D1.
    Is our guy graduating? Lol

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I agree with all of that. But it gets back to my original thought/comment on Harris and the roster. You finished your post by saying "this next big to sign best be a dawg." Does Harris 'have that dawg in him' as they like to say? The injuries set off a chain reaction. I get that. I think with those guys, but also with an extremely weak front court, they are still at best a 20-21 win team next year. That's just my opinion, and I'll be happy to be wrong this time next year.

Would Harris be transformative enough of a signing to entirely change the conversation going into next year? That's the answer I'm asking for.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X