Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    UPDATED MEN'S STANDINGS (thru games played 11-27-2022)

TEAM OVERALL STREAK
    IUP 5-0 W5
    Mercyhurst 1-0 W1
    Seton Hill 5-0 W5
    Slippery Rock 5-0 W5
    Pitt-Johnstown 3-2 L1
    California 3-3 W1
    Edinboro 2-3 L1
    Clarion 1-2 W1
    Gannon 0-4 L4
    SRU and SH look a lot better than I expected. They could cause trouble down the road.

Comment

I'm not sure if they made a run at Manchel or not. Recall, at that time, Mercyhurst was rolling (they still are to an extent). Manchel signed a nice extension right around that time period -- likely not a coincidence. I really thought they should have hired Kevin Reynolds (their longtime nemesis). But, his situation was a little too murky at the time.

Jefferson's had two full seasons (and the Covid year). In his two full years, he's gone 14-13 in each -- both ending with getting blown out in Rd. 1 of the PSAC Tournament. Now add this 0-4 start, which his team has looked pretty hapless, and it's probably pretty easy to see how a once-vibrant fanbase is losing its mind.

The West will start to get a facelift in the coming years. Manchel and Lombardi aren't going to coach forever. I'd say -- max -- both have 2-4 years left. Both jobs will be highly-coveted within the D2 universe.

Just a guess, but I'd say the Gannon and Clarion jobs will both open at the end of this season. Seton Hill's hot start -- with a first-year coach -- surely isn't going unnoticed.

And, KR, BTW, is close by down at Point Park. Just sayin'
      That's a good point. I'm sure they were related. That year was the beginning of the great run Mercyhurst has been on- as well as the beginning of IUP's absolutely ridiculous run. Just looked it up:

Mercyhurst

2017-18 13-14 No Tourney
      2018-19 26-8 NCAA Elite Eight
      2019-20 20-8 NCAA (COVID Cancellation)
      2020-21 12-1 NCAA 2nd Round
      2021-22 25-7 NCAA 2nd Round

IUP

2017-18 22-8 No Tourney
      2018-19. 30-3 NCAA 2nd Round
      2019-20 28-2 NCAA (COVID Cancellation- What Could've Been)
      2020-21 Season Cancelled
      2021-22 33-3 NCAA Final Four

Including this year, IUP is 96-8 since the start of the 2018-19 season. That's mind boggling. Mercyhurst is 84-24. I think both Lombardi and Manchel will coach longer than one might think if they can somehow sustain the level of success (which will be incredibly difficult). Jeff Wilson at ESU is another extremely successful coach and a little bit younger I believe, but I don't see any of these guys giving it up in the next five years given the current or similar trajectory.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

That's a good point. I'm sure they were related. That year was the beginning of the great run Mercyhurst has been on- as well as the beginning of IUP's absolutely ridiculous run. Just looked it up:

Mercyhurst

2017-18 13-14 No Tourney
        2018-19 26-8 NCAA Elite Eight
        2019-20 20-8 NCAA (COVID Cancellation)
        2020-21 12-1 NCAA 2nd Round
        2021-22 25-7 NCAA 2nd Round

IUP

2017-18 22-8 No Tourney
        2018-19. 30-3 NCAA 2nd Round
        2019-20 28-2 NCAA (COVID Cancellation- What Could've Been)
        2020-21 Season Cancelled
        2021-22 33-3 NCAA Final Four

Including this year, IUP is 96-8 since the start of the 2018-19 season. That's mind boggling. Mercyhurst is 84-24. I think both Lombardi and Manchel will coach longer than one might think if they can somehow sustain the level of success (which will be incredibly difficult). Jeff Wilson at ESU is another extremely successful coach and a little bit younger I believe, but I don't see any of these guys giving it up in the next five years given the current or similar trajectory.
        As great as last year was I think we'll always wonder 'what if' about it ... at least a little. They made the Final Four without their top scorer for all by 6.5 games. That was incredible.

With Shawndale that team may have won the last game of the season. But, we'll never know.

Regardless, it was probably my favorite season in a long time. Ethan's trey to seal the Regional Final was the best moment ever in the KCAC. That place exploded.

Crazy to think they've lost a star early in the season -- for the season -- both of the past two seasons. Go find any wood you have and knock on it lol.
        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-28-2022, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Seton Hill lost a tough one in 2OT at Davis & Elkins, 100-95.

Comment

Seton Hill lost a tough one in 2OT at Davis & Elkins, 100-95.
            Looks like Dillon didn’t play. Big hole for them if he’s out.

Comment

• Latest NABC Top 25 (Men's):

3. IUP (1)
              5. West Liberty
              12. Fairmont State
              20. Virginia Union

Votes: West Virginia State, West Chester, Mercyhurst

--------------------------------------------------------------

Latest D2SIDA Top 25 (Men's):

2. IUP
              6. West Liberty
              15. Fairmont State
              25. West Virginia State

Votes: Virginia Union

East Stroudsburg not even getting votes in either poll is a travesty.

Comment

And it's not like they're an unknown quantity either. Wilson has some stature in the larger D2 community.

Comment

Latest NABC Top 25 (Men's):

3. IUP (1)
                  5. West Liberty
                  12. Fairmont State
                  20. Virginia Union

2. IUP
                  6. West Liberty
                  15. Fairmont State
                  25. West Virginia State

Really. A scuffling Ship team lost to Virginia Union by four points, and they're ranked 20th in the one poll and just outside in the other. It is a surprise as Wilson is a known quantity among area D2 coaches.

Comment

Latest NABC Top 25 (Men's):

3. IUP (1)
                    5. West Liberty
                    12. Fairmont State
                    20. Virginia Union

2. IUP
                    6. West Liberty
                    15. Fairmont State
                    25. West Virginia State

Shhhhh. Let the Warriors stay under the radar...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Shhhhh. Let the Warriors stay under the radar...
                      They won't with your big mouth around!

Comment

• Tomorrow night kicks off the first Crossover Weekend of the season. All games will be played in the East. Here's a quick look at each West teams' doubleheader and season to date -- and, of course, a weekend prediction:

IUP (5-0) - On paper, the Crimson Hawks are heavily favored in both games against Mansfield and Bloomsburg. IUP has played a tough schedule to start the season (mostly on the road) and has battled through a good bit of adversity off the court. One thing to keep in mind: IUP has oddly had some struggles at Mansfield its past three visits. All were wins, but IUP probably didn't cover the spread in any of them. Prediction: Too much firepower and experience for young teams to handle for 40 minutes. IUP goes 2-0.

Mercyhurst (1-0) - The Lakers are the mystery team thus far having played just once - a 1-pont win over Daemen. In fact, the Lakers will tip-off at West Chester tomorrow night having not played against an opponent in nearly three weeks. Very odd scheduling, but regardless, defense travels. West Chester is no slouch and that is a tough building for visitors. Mercyhurst finishes the weekend at Millersville. These two met twice late last season -- in the PSAC Tournament and again in the NCAA Tournament. The Marauders' star senior guard, Jaden Faulkner, has not played yet this season. Prediction: Some rusty play is inevitable -- especially against opponents who have played 5+ games. Also, that Daemen team Mercyhurst barely beat ... got run out of the gym at Slippery Rock. Lakers split.

Slippery Rock (5-0) - The Rock is legit. This team has a great blend of strong guards and talented, physical post players. Most of SRU's rotation is older, upperclassmen who have played a lot of college basketball. If you haven't heard of (newcomer) power forward Khalid Gates yet ... you will soon enough. The visit to Shepherd tomorrow will be an old-fashioned street fight. Both are built similarly. SRU then makes the short trip to Shippensburg. Tough weekend. Prediction: Split.

Seton Hill (5-1) - The Griffins have certainly been one of the biggest surprises in the Atlantic Region. With most of last year's (well, not good) team back -- as well as a new head coach, expectations were dismal in Greensburg. Then, of course, Seton Hill opened the season with 5 straight blowouts -- including wins against some strong programs (Notre Dame and Shippensburg). Adversity struck in their past game as star point guard Sean Dillon didn't play. The Griffins then lost a 2 OT game at Davis & Elkins (another surprise team). Dillon is a legit PSAC point guard and really drives the ship for Seton Hill. With his status unknown, their weekend is a little harder to predict. The Griffins play Lock Haven and Mansfield. The Bald Eagles are no walk in the park. Prediction: If Dillon returns, Seton Hill will go 2-0. If he misses all weekend, figure a split.

California (3-3) - The Vulcans have a BIG one tomorrow night at Shippensburg. Both entered this season with NCAA hopes but both have three early losses. Getting a 4th loss by December 2 is big trouble. Cal has had major injury problems -- two starters have missed the entire season. One, senior point guard Zyan Collins, may be back soon. The Vulcans will be better with them, but have also been pretty good without them. Cal finishes the weekend at Lock Haven. Prediction: Two tough games -- especially short-handed. A split seems the smart bet but don't be shocked if the Vulcans sweep.

Pitt-Johnstown (3-2) - UPJ should light up a winless Bloomsburg tomorrow night before a Saturday night showdown with East Stroudsburg. The Warriors' style of play shouldn't catch them off guard, as UPJ has already played West Liberty and Nova Southeastern. The difference will be the depth. ESU has a ton and UPJ doesn't. Prediction: Split. UPJ will battle ESU for about 25-30 minutes but run out of gas down the stretch. UPJ is a good team -- and, could be a very strong half-court team, but their short bench will be too problematic in these 40-minute sprints.

Edinboro (2-3) - The Fighting Scots draw Millersville and Shepherd. Aside from their opening blowout loss at Fairmont State, Edinboro has been pretty competitive. The Scots dropped a heartbreaker to Glenville State (73-72) and a tight one to Salem (72-67). They defeated Tiffin and Roberts Wesleyan. Prediction: Edinboro will compete in both games, but likely get swept.

Gannon (0-4) - What is going on in the Hammermill (I forget the new name)? Well, the good news (for somebody) is that one team is going to get a win tomorrow night. Kutztown is also amazingly off to an 0-5 start. Both of these teams have talent. Gannon then plays at West Chester. Prediction: Kutztown is a couple buckets away from being 3-2 rather than 0-5. They are overly due for some bounces to go their way. Vegas probably says GU is looking at getting swept.

Clarion (2-2) - The Golden Eagles are winless against D2 competition. A Friday night trip to East Stroudsburg isn't going to help matters. Clarion then caps off the weekend at Kutztown. Prediction: Gerald Jarmon can get red hot. If he does, they may have a shot at Kutztown. But, getting swept is likely.

Comment

• Here you go you bunch of gambling degenerates.

(Mythical) Vegas has the West winning 6 of 9 tonight. Tomorrow may reverse, but I like the West to carry the load tonight.

Surefire picks:

IUP over Mansfield
                          UPJ over Bloomsburg
                          ESU over Clarion
                          Millersville over Edinboro

These ones get a little more tricky:

Cal over Ship
                          Mercyhurst over WCU
                          SRU over Shepherd
                          Kutztown over Gannon
                          Seton Hill over Lock Haven

I'd probably take the SH/LH game off the board until the starting lineups are announced. If SH's PG doesn't play, LH may win that one.

I wouldn't bet that Mercyhurst/WCU game even with IUPAlum's money. Well, maybe I would. That long layoff is too hard to predict. But, that Lakers' defense causes everybody problems.

Comment

Here you go you bunch of gambling degenerates.

(Mythical) Vegas has the West winning 6 of 9 tonight. Tomorrow may reverse, but I like the West to carry the load tonight.

Surefire picks:

IUP over Mansfield
                            UPJ over Bloomsburg
                            ESU over Clarion
                            Millersville over Edinboro

These ones get a little more tricky:

Cal over Ship
                            Mercyhurst over WCU
                            SRU over Shepherd
                            Kutztown over Gannon
                            Seton Hill over Lock Haven

I'd probably take the SH/LH game off the board until the starting lineups are announced. If SH's PG doesn't play, LH may win that one.

I wouldn't bet that Mercyhurst/WCU game even with IUPAlum's money. Well, maybe I would. That long layoff is too hard to predict. But, that Lakers' defense causes everybody problems.
                            I’d use my money on Hurst! Defense travels!

Comment

• LH is hammering Seton Hill.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I’d use my money on Hurst! Defense travels!
                                * West Chester hung in for 30 minutes but went complete street ball with 10 minutes left and Mercyhurst tore them apart.

* Gannon lost in OT and is now amazingly 0-5.

* Lock Haven looked awfully legit in blasting Seton Hill.

* Cal has to get their missing two starters back real fast. That's four losses. Early.

* Rock and Ship should be highly entertaining tonight. SRU is undefeated and Ship appears to have found its stride. This will likely be a very chippy affair.

* UPJ lit up Bloom last night. I'd surely suspect IUP to do the same.

* ESU mopped the floor with Clarion. UPJ will be a much tougher task tonight but I'd still pick ESU to pull away in second half.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X