Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Sam 'Ace' Rothstein just Tweeted out tonight's lines. However, Nicky Santoro will be over to collect shall you lose.

Seton Hill at Gannon - The Golden Knights got in the win column. Seton Hill lost at home to California. That's the end of the momentum swing. Griffins are a better team -- and their zone should really frustrate a team that is easy to frustrate. SH -9.5

Pitt-Johnstown at Edinboro - Possible let-down spot for UPJ coming off big wins against Slippery Rock and Mercyhurst. By let-down, the Cats could pull an IUP and not show up for the first half. But, UPJ has way too much. Cats roll, -15.5

Lock Haven at East Stroudsburg - Warriors have seemed a bit off of late and the Bald Eagles like to run and gun. This is a tough Lock Haven team. It should stay close for a stretch, but ESU breaks out of its mini funk at home. Bald Eagles have spent too much time in a bus in the past 48 hours. ESU -12.5

Mercyhurst at Clarion - The Golden Eagles may play better inside Tippin, but it won't matter tonight. An angry Lakers' group takes out their frustration. Mercyhurst -19.5

Mansfield at California - Both are better than their record. Vulcans have too much offense and pull away in second half. Cal -13.5

Bloomsburg at Kutztown - Major trap spot here for the Golden Bears. KU played an incredibly hard 40 minutes just 48 hours ago. Their tired legs -- combined with a depleted roster -- may keep the Huskies in this one. Kutztown (likely) wins. Bears -7.5

West Chester at Millersville - The gamblers' two worst friends. Predicting which version of either shows up from night to night is playing roulette. The Rams are deeper and bigger. That should make the difference. Right? Millersville took a three-game sweep a year ago. Payback time. WCU -5.5

Shepherd at Shippensburg - Speaking of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ... which version of the Rams will visit Shippensburg tonight? The Larry Bird version that makes it rain from 25' all night, or, the version that wants to win, 55-54? Safe money is on the home team tonight coming off a somewhat odd loss. Now with (7) losses, Chris Fite is in shark-infested waters. Raiders have won four straight in the series. Tonight will be No. 5. Ship -3.5 in a tight one.

IUP at Slippery Rock - Goodness how a venue changes things. If this game was in Indiana tonight, IUP would probably be a 10-12 point favorite. In the Joe Lombardi House of Horrors, however, that's out the window. IUP's big advantage is it has played, together, in many big games -- home and away. The Hawks must avoid their standard slow-ish start. Vegas says IUP wins. Barely. Hawks -3.5

I'll give you credit for even attempting to pick Eastern Division games this year. I give up.

Comment

• Perusing games and most seem to be as expected (gave up on GU game.. Seton hill was up 24).

IUP up 15 on SRU 7m left
      Hurst is crushing clarion
      uPJ leads Boro by 10 5m left
      shep ship is a close game
      Cal up 12 on mansfield 2 to go

Comment

• TEAM PSAC OVERALL STREAK
        IUP 13-0 19-0 W19
        Mercyhurst 10-3 14-3 W1
        Pitt-Johnstown 10-3 14-5 W3
        Seton Hill 7-6 12-7 W1
        Slippery Rock 6-7 12-7 L3
        California 6-7 9-10 W2
        Edinboro 3-10 5-13 L2
        Gannon 1-12 1-16 L1
        Clarion 0-13 2-16 L14
        ---

Notes heading in to the weekend:

* California is playing well and almost up to .500. The Vulcans have won 4 of their past 6 games -- with one of the losses being a slim, 1-point loss to Mercyhurst. Cal hosts UPJ next in a huge game for both teams.

* Slippery Rock is in a funk. The Rock has lost 5 of its past 6 games. A trip to Clarion this weekend should end the skid. SRU has been in most of its losses -- just struggling to close games out.

* Seton Hill is hot again -- winners of 6 of their past 7 outings. A tough stretch awaits, however, as the Griffins' next three games are (at) Mercyhurst, IUP and (at) Slippery Rock.

* Saturday's Edinboro at Gannon game won't grab headlines, but it is huge for both teams' conference tournament hopes. The Golden Knights can stay in the mix for the final spot with a win.

* Mercyhurst rebounded from its loss in Johnstown by hammering Clarion last night. Seton Hill visits the MAC in 48 hours. Zone vs. Zone

Comment

[TABLE="border: 1, cellpadding: 1, width: 500"]

* Slippery Rock is in a funk. The Rock has lost 5 of its past 6 games. A trip to Clarion this weekend should end the skid. SRU has been in most of its losses -- just struggling to close games out.
          SRU has guys that can create but more set plays would benefit them. They just seem to struggle when they need to create. In their loss to LH, not getting the ball to #5 at the end of Reg and OT1 seems to be the result of selfish play. Admittedly I don’t know what is being discussed in the huddle but having your best player attack the bucket usually has a better outcome than chucking up a contested three. I don’t know how well the individuals get along.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post

SRU has guys that can create but more set plays would benefit them. They just seem to struggle when they need to create. In their loss to LH, not getting the ball to #5 at the end of Reg and OT1 seems to be the result of selfish play. Admittedly I don’t know what is being discussed in the huddle but having your best player attack the bucket usually has a better outcome than chucking up a contested three. I don’t know how well the individuals get along.
            Getting off a good shot as time is winding down near the end of a half or a game seems to be becoming a lost art. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen players dribble away 15 seconds and start for the basket with just 5-6 seconds left. They either shoot an ill-advised three or try to dribble through 2-3 players in the lane, tossing up a desperation underhand double-pump shot or something similar. I was actually amazed when Mansfield ran a good set play against Ship as the first half was ending, got a nice screen for a three-point shooter on the baseline, and scored. While I was unhappy to see them make the three as a Ship fan, I said good on them for actually running a set in that situation. A lot of coaches these days, even the good ones, seem to have a sort of "let 'em play" mentality. That's fine, but sometimes a little team discipline is called for in certain situations

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post

I didn't get any sense the SRU team doesn't get along. I've watched them on the screen a few times but that was my first time seeing them live. Ian Grady is a good coach and has recruited pretty high character players -- a dramatic swing from the KR days. Both teams were helping each other off the floor, etc. That type of sportsmanship never happened in the past (instead they were just knocking each other to said floor). I get the whole IUP/SRU thing -- but that 'hype' is largely a football thing that fans try and carry over to basketball. There isn't currently much animosity between the two programs. If anything, I think they respect one another.

The key to that game was both teams had to start fast. IUP had to get that crowd to go away and, unlike other years, be a non-factor. I got the sense SRU got a bit shell-shocked in the first 5 minutes. This IUP team is a bear to deal with because the first 8 guys can all score 20+, all shoot outside and they all buy in to Joe's pressure, constantly-switching defense.

You go to games there during the year ... you know they normally have about 150 people in Morrow. They easily had 2,500 in there for the IUP game. When the home team starts slow, along with all the pressure IUP applies on both ends ... I think they started to very quickly tense up. I also think not performing well in the first 5-6 minutes in front of that huge home crowd started to shrink the rim on them.

I can say first-hand, IUP had a lot of worries about that game. That's been a tough building for them over the years. It was no coincidence they sent a fan bus up there. That was the first fan bus for an away game since the regional final at WL almost 10 years ago. IUP is very fortunate to have 350-some fans travel up there -- and be very engaged -- on a crappy night in late January. But, IUP's players were ready for that atmosphere. They've been there before and seemed to enjoy it.

I do agree SRU is just missing something. They can line up with anybody athlete for athlete. They have good size and skill. But, there's a reason they keep losing big games. Looking back at Wednesday night, I though Grady's decision to press for 40 minutes was a bad call. They aren't a pressing team and it was hugely ineffective for 99 percent of the game. I'd be shocked if he calls on the press in the rematch in a couple weeks. I think the only think it did was tire themselves out.

I also find their use of Lashon Lindsey interesting. In person, he looks like a P5 player. He's big and built and fast. But, they primarily use him almost as a guard. Khalid Gates is a tough player and he's going to get his points. Their two players who stood out to me were Jonathan McFall and Jomo Goings. Both are great athletes. Goings is a strong defender. IUP smothered Amante Britt pretty good. He's had some big games against IUP in the past so I figured they were going to try and make his life very difficult.

But, they are a tough bunch ... certainly not an easy out.

Comment

I didn't get any sense the SRU team doesn't get along. I've watched them on the screen a few times but that was my first time seeing them live. Ian Grady is a good coach and has recruited pretty high character players -- a dramatic swing from the KR days. Both teams were helping each other off the floor, etc. That type of sportsmanship never happened in the past (instead they were just knocking each other to said floor). I get the whole IUP/SRU thing -- but that 'hype' is largely a football thing that fans try and carry over to basketball. There isn't currently much animosity between the two programs. If anything, I think they respect one another.

The key to that game was both teams had to start fast. IUP had to get that crowd to go away and, unlike other years, be a non-factor. I got the sense SRU got a bit shell-shocked in the first 5 minutes. This IUP team is a bear to deal with because the first 8 guys can all score 20+, all shoot outside and they all buy in to Joe's pressure, constantly-switching defense.

You go to games there during the year ... you know they normally have about 150 people in Morrow. They easily had 2,500 in there for the IUP game. When the home team starts slow, along with all the pressure IUP applies on both ends ... I think they started to very quickly tense up. I also think not performing well in the first 5-6 minutes in front of that huge home crowd started to shrink the rim on them.

I can say first-hand, IUP had a lot of worries about that game. That's been a tough building for them over the years. It was no coincidence they sent a fan bus up there. That was the first fan bus for an away game since the regional final at WL almost 10 years ago. IUP is very fortunate to have 350-some fans travel up there -- and be very engaged -- on a crappy night in late January. But, IUP's players were ready for that atmosphere. They've been there before and seemed to enjoy it.

I do agree SRU is just missing something. They can line up with anybody athlete for athlete. They have good size and skill. But, there's a reason they keep losing big games. Looking back at Wednesday night, I though Grady's decision to press for 40 minutes was a bad call. They aren't a pressing team and it was hugely ineffective for 99 percent of the game. I'd be shocked if he calls on the press in the rematch in a couple weeks. I think the only think it did was tire themselves out.

I also find their use of Lashon Lindsey interesting. In person, he looks like a P5 player. He's big and built and fast. But, they primarily use him almost as a guard. Khalid Gates is a tough player and he's going to get his points. Their two players who stood out to me were Jonathan McFall and Jomo Goings. Both are great athletes. Goings is a strong defender. IUP smothered Amante Britt pretty good. He's had some big games against IUP in the past so I figured they were going to try and make his life very difficult.

But, they are a tough bunch ... certainly not an easy out.
                Interesting. I didn't view that game, so I didn't know they pressed. That's not something I would do against IUP with the experienced depth at guard they have. The only way I'm pressing IUP as a coach is if I have superior talent to them, which obviously Slippery Rock doesn't, or if I normally run a press-and-run system (we'll see how that works out for East Stroudsburg Saturday). If a team doesn't normally press, about the only use I can see for it is as an occasional surprise tactic. Ship was able to pull off a couple of key steals at the end of the Shepherd game with a press — something the Raiders seldom resort to. After all the teams that have tried to press us recently, it was kind of fun to see the tables turned.

Comment

• In case you aren't paying attention (which, likely, you aren't) ... Our old friend Kevin Reynolds has instantly flipped Point Park from a rundown program in to a 17-5 team in his first year.

I'm going to assume the Clarion job opens in about two months. If KR isn't their first call they should disband the program.

Comment

In case you aren't paying attention (which, likely, you aren't) ... Our old friend Kevin Reynolds has instantly flipped Point Park from a rundown program in to a 17-5 team in his first year.

I'm going to assume the Clarion job opens in about two months. If KR isn't their first call they should disband the program.
                    If the Gannon job hasn't already been offered to him under the table.

Comment

• For all you degenerates, here are today's lines:

Kutztown at Shepherd - The Rams are probably the best team in the league that nobody talks about -- and, certainly a tough out. Kutztown may be picking up hitchhikers to fill out the starting lineup. Shepherd is tough at home -- and loves to make it rain in Shepherdstown. Rams -5.5

Bloomsburg at West Chester - The Huskies kept fighting for win No. 1 and they finally got it. The party, however, will be short-lived. WCU is sporadic -- but, less sporadic at home. Rams -9.5

Millersville at Mansfield - Whatever gut feeling you are having about betting Millersville this morning ... do the complete opposite. You may have a chance then. Marauders -3.5

Seton Hill at Mercyhurst - Real big game in the MAC. The Griffins are red hot. The Lakers had a so-so week. Who will win the zone vs zone battle? Take the home team. Experience under the bright lights usually prevails. But, it will be close. Lakers -3.5

Shippensburg at Lock Haven - Speaking of big games ... the Raiders enter today with a full game lead in the East. The Bald Eagles are just one game back. Both will also be paying close attention to the score in Indiana. This is simply a 'home team' game. Shippensburg has had some issues up at Lock Haven over the years. The Bald Eagles are also legit this year. Home team pulls it out, but loses return game at Shippensburg. Wild card factor could be some wobbly LH legs. They've spent a lot of time in the bus this week. Bald Eagles -4.5

East Stroudsburg at IUP - Prior to the ESU mini-funk, most circled this as a late January potential clash of undefeated teams. The luster has wore off a bit with the Warriors dropping 3 of their past 4 games. The KCAC, expecting 3,000+ today, isn't a good slump-busting venue. But, ESU is still a really strong team -- and, slumps do eventually end. Joe Lombardi is just hoping said slump doesn't end today. IUP has won 10 of the past 12 meetings in the series -- and the past three. The past two IUP victories haven't been close. IUP wins a very close one today. Crimson Hawks -3.5

Pitt-Johnstown at California - Two hot teams. Neither are deep. So, this is pretty much 6 on 6. I like Cal's 6 a little better today -- especially in Angelo's Dome. Vulcans win a thriller. Cal -3.5

Slippery Rock at Clarion - The Rock has been a bust on the big stage this year. Tippin is far from the big stage. SRU wins this one in a run-away. Rock -15.5

Edinboro at Gannon - Does GU ever play on the road? Why does it seem like they are home every game? I'll say this: If the Knights are mentally engaged today, they should win. Not by much, but, they should win. Will they be mentally engaged, however, is the biggest question. Gannon -2.5
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-28-2023, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Once again, a PSAC officiating crew refusing to call a fair game vs Edinboro. This time a flaccid Gannon bench player taking a shot at the Edinboro player on the court. The Boro player immediately went to the officials who rebuffed him then refused to discuss it with Cleary. Insanity.

Comment

• TEAM PSAC OVERALL STREAK
                          IUP 14-0 20-0 W20
                          Mercyhurst 11-3 15-3 W2
                          Pitt-Johnstown 11-3 15-5 W4
                          Slippery Rock 7-7 13-7 W1
                          Seton Hill 7-7 12-8 L1
                          California 6-8 9-11 L1
                          Edinboro 3-11 5-14 L3
                          Gannon 2-12 2-16 W1
                          Clarion 0-14 2-17 L15

Comment

• Last week had some very intriguing action. On paper, not so much this week. But, you never know.

IUP - The Crimson Hawks closed out a tough week with a fairly convincing win against a tough East Stroudsburg team. A daunting trip to Seton Hill is up next followed by a visit from Gannon. Catholic Week has arrived. Don't overlook the McKenna Center visit. When it's close to sold out -- and, it will be Wednesday -- that is a very tough venue. It's small, loud and claustrophobic. The crowd is basically inches from the court. Not to mention, of course, the home team is pretty good. IUP's last two visits there have been complete blowouts, but prior to those games IUP had some dicey moments in Greensburg. Gannon comes to town this weekend. Prediction: 2-0 (but, Wednesday won't be easy)

Mercyhurst - The Lakers won the Battle of the Catholic Zone against Seton Hill this past Saturday. Mercyhurst has a short road trip to Edinboro and then a bye on Saturday. Prediction: 1-0

Pitt-Johnstown - UPJ had a tough but successful week with big wins against Mercyhurst, Edinboro and California. The Mountains Cats, winners of 4 straight, have Wednesday off prior to Clarion visiting this weekend. Prediction: 1-0

Slippery Rock - The Rock stopped its bleeding with a blowout win at Clarion. Things get much tougher this week with a tricky trip to Gannon and a Seton Hill visit. Prediction: 1-1

Seton Hill - Big week for the Griffins. IUP visits Wednesday night prior to a weekend trip to Slippery Rock. Seton Hill is coming off a disappointing 1-2 week. Most predicted they'd lose at Mercyhurst, but losing to Cal at home last week was a bit of an upset. Prediction: 1-1

California - The Vulcans continue to be a tough out. Cal had nice wins last week against Seton Hill and Mansfield, but dropped a last-minute thriller to UPJ this past Saturday. This should be a fairly easy week for the Vulcans, albeit on the road (Clarion and Edinboro). If they take care of business as expected, Cal will find itself slowly creeping back in to the West mid-race. Prediction: 2-0

Edinboro - The Fighting Scots had a tough week, but it wasn't a lack of effort. Edinboro put up scrappy efforts against both IUP and UPJ before dropping a weekend affair at Gannon. Things don't get any easier this week. Mercyhurst and California visit McComb. These two games start a brutal 5-game stretch, as the next three are SRU, IUP and UPJ. The Scots need to pull an upset here as Gannon is suddenly just one game behind them for the final conference tournament spot. Prediction: 0-2

Gannon - The Knights went 2-1 last week and all the sudden find themselves back in the race for the final conference tournament slot. The bad news is the schedule gets much more difficult this week. Slippery Rock visits the Highmark mid-week prior to a Saturday trip to Indiana. The Knights haven't won a whole lot but they also don't get blown out very often. They continue to be a scrappy bunch. Prediction: 0-2

Clarion - California comes to Tippin in 48 hours prior to a weekend voyage to Johnstown. This won't be a fun week for the Golden Eagles. Prediction: 0-2

Comment

Last week had some very intriguing action. On paper, not so much this week. But, you never know.

IUP - The Crimson Hawks closed out a tough week with a fairly convincing win against a tough East Stroudsburg team. A daunting trip to Seton Hill is up next followed by a visit from Gannon. Catholic Week has arrived. Don't overlook the McKenna Center visit. When it's close to sold out -- and, it will be Wednesday -- that is a very tough venue. It's small, loud and claustrophobic. The crowd is basically inches from the court. Not to mention, of course, the home team is pretty good. IUP's last two visits there have been complete blowouts, but prior to those games IUP had some dicey moments in Greensburg. Gannon comes to town this weekend. Prediction: 2-0 (but, Wednesday won't be easy)
                              The time they lost down there on a Wednesday night a couple of years ago, the football team was literally on the court. It was unlike anything I've ever seen. A basket would get made by Seton Hill, and there were fans standing on the court in the corner as IUP was imbounding the ball on the baseline. I'm sure we'll see an Uber Eats delivery on Wednesday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The time they lost down there on a Wednesday night a couple of years ago, the football team was literally on the court. It was unlike anything I've ever seen. A basket would get made by Seton Hill, and there were fans standing on the court in the corner as IUP was imbounding the ball on the baseline. I'm sure we'll see an Uber Eats delivery on Wednesday night.
                                February 24, 2016

Hard to believe that game was 7 years ago already.

IUP walked right in to a hornets' nest that night. That is Seton Hill's lone win in the series' history.

Joe finally lost it with all the theatrics and got T'd up at the end to pretty much seal the loss.

As you said, I've never seen anything like it. Since that night, however, much has changed in that venue -- likely a result of IUP filing major complaints. The seats under the basket are typically now closed (unlike that night). Those aren't like most gym seats where the bleachers/seats are 'behind' the basket ... those are like under the basket. That was insanity.

Looking back, that was probably Joe's worst team aside from this first one, but they were in the thick of things prior to that trip to Greensburg. That loss likely cost them an at-large bid that year. He's paid back the debt down there ... winning by 50 and 60 points in McKenna.

They better be ready for Wednesday. Seton Hill gave them a tussle for 30 minutes in the first game even without their best player. They'll need a repeat of SRU last week. Start fast and quiet that crowd. They tried it last year down there ... that place was slammed when the men's game started. IUP opened a 20-0 lead to start the game and the place was empty by halftime. Obviously, SH is much better this year. The good thing is that is a very short trip from Indiana, so IUP always travels really well down there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X