Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Bowie State is always a dangerous game.

Obviously at 2-8 they are down this year. But, they don't lay down.

They play anybody, anywhere. They could pull a Slippery Rock and take a tour of the PSU branch campuses, but they schedule the big boys.

Non-conf this year: IUP, WL, Mercyhurst, Ship..

They earn respect.
    That right there is why Slippery Rock is never a contender. You don't get better playing weak competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

That right there is why Slippery Rock is never a contender. You don't get better playing weak competition.
      Ehh, I don't know if that correlation is in fact a cause though. Back 15 years ago when Edinboro was at or near the top of the PSAC West, they were routinely playing Penn State Outlet Stores. A lot of schools did. I'm not sure what stopped it but it was pretty common.

FYI, your favorite PSAC player surpassed 1,000 points last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Ehh, I don't know if that correlation is in fact a cause though. Back 15 years ago when Edinboro was at or near the top of the PSAC West, they were routinely playing Penn State Outlet Stores. A lot of schools did. I'm not sure what stopped it but it was pretty common.

I view the PSU games (and all D3 games) as a waste of time. They don't help you qualify for the postseason so what's the point?

IUP is stuck with this Pitt-Greensburg game now on NYE. They took it just to complete the schedule after Salem's new coach was too afraid to come to Indiana. I'm OK with it based on the circumstances -- and, it's at least a game to fill the void between Dec. 19 and their next game Jan. 5.

But, I'd never want this game scheduled a year in advance.

Comment

I view the PSU games (and all D3 games) as a waste of time. They don't help you qualify for the postseason so what's the point?

IUP is stuck with this Pitt-Greensburg game now on NYE. They took it just to complete the schedule after Salem's new coach was too afraid to come to Indiana. I'm OK with it based on the circumstances -- and, it's at least a game to fill the void between Dec. 19 and their next game Jan. 5.

But, I'd never want this game scheduled a year in advance.
          I think that's a fair assessment. They do nothing for IUP but they also don't fit with IUP's basketball scheduling philosophy. But for some schools, there are benefits. A D3, NAIA, or JC game is better than no game. Its getting harder and harder to get teams to travel, especially in the early weeks. So if you can get a Penn State Outlet Store to make a short trip to get you a real game that's better than nothing. Allegheny, Thiel, or Behrend could bring a crowd to one of the Erie County games. More so than playing Ashland. When you're drawing 600 a game that bump matters.

Comment

Comment

• Speaking of not winning ... how the freak does Boro lose at home to Bloomsburg last night? That was a game they really needed to win.

Comment

• Penn State's game at VCU tomorrow has been cancelled due to Covid issues.

I sure hope this doesn't become the norm.

Comment

Speaking of not winning ... how the freak does Boro lose at home to Bloomsburg last night? That was a game they really needed to win.
                  Roster is depleted.

Comment

Roster is depleted.
                    Looked like they had their key cogs... you don't lose to Bloom!

Comment

Other than ESU they got all the top teams from the East this year.

Tough year to get all the good East teams in crossover because the West is going to be a brutal stretch.

I think with Joe's revamped roster I figured they'd have to close out the regular season 15-6. They got a big win out of the way the other night against Millersville. I think 'as is' they will go at least 15-6 down the stretch. But, they have to stay 100% healthy. That means no unnecessary risks (like we saw Tuesday night). You can't get hurt on the bench. Nobody is coming back from 23 points with 90 seconds to go. I don't care if Joe puts in me, you, an usher, the hot dog salesman and Jack Benedict to play that last two minutes. Get the stars out of there.

Comment

• Pretty decent Saturday lineup. Couple blowouts on the horizon, but a couple great matchups.

East Stroudsburg at Edinboro - The Warriors are hot -- winners of four straight. The Scots are not ... fresh off a home loss to a then 1-5 Bloomsburg. Edinboro is playing with a thin roster. That's not a good thing to have facing 40 minutes of running up and down. East Stroudsburg (literally) runs Edinboro out of the building. Warriors by 15+

Bloomsburg at Mercyhurst - The Huskies' first trip West was a success. However, the MAC will be a much different experience than was McComb. The Lake Show is very difficult to beat in Erie -- even for the strongest teams. Bloomsburg isn't one of those teams. Lakers by 20 (or more).

West Chester at California - Big one down in the Angelo Dome. You would not want to be an official in this game. Both are 6-2. The Rams are young -- but are getting better and more experienced each game. West Chester has to keep its bigs on the floor and out of foul trouble. Damien Blair likely studied the tape of Cal's loss at ESU very closely. Suspect a tight one, but the Vulcans get the edge. WCU will try and play fast -- and that's exactly what California wants to do. Vulcans by 6 in what will likely be a chippy affair.

Shepherd at IUP - Joe Lombardi has talked about having his new lineup slow down and play in the 70-80 points range. Shepherd wants to play in the 55-65 points range. Whichever dictates the pace may win. IUP's bench should look better today -- and will make the difference. Hawks win a close one. IUP by 5

Lock Haven at Clarion - Records aside, this is a really good pairing. Both teams have some legit talent. Both are just 1-2 guys away from being pretty good. The Bald Eagles are just a bit more well-rounded -- and they've shown they can at least hang around with Mercyhurst and Gannon. Lock Haven leaves Tippin Gym with a nice win. Bald Eagles by 8

Mansfield at Gannon - Certainly won't help the Knights' SOS, but it will keep the Hammermill crowd happy. Gannon wins in a runaway. Knights by 18

Shippensburg at UPJ - On paper, this is probably the game of the day. Shippensburg star Jake Biss is back and playing his way back to form. Both teams have strong post players and supporting guards. Both play tough defense but can also run. Shippensburg has its big trip to Indiana tomorrow. But, the Raiders better be aware of what's coming today. The key to beating UPJ is to get the two big boys in foul trouble. They aren't very deep under the basket. But, UPJ is notoriously tough in Johnstown. Mountain Cats win a thriller. UPJ by 1.

Millersville at Seton Hill - The Marauders had a rough night in Indiana. The Griffins are going to pay the price. This will be ugly. The 'Ville by 25+

Kutztown at Slippery Rock - The Golden Bears are up to 4-4 after an 0-3 start. SRU is 7-2 but has played a pretty suspect schedule. The Bears are more well-balanced -- and their bigs should pose a major problem to the Rock. Kutztown escapes Morrorw, but it will be close. Bears by 7.

Comment

• Ship just went up 20 on UPJ with six minutes left. The shooting arrived on a good day, and Biss is in the middle of it. But I didn't expect them to pass through Johnstown this easily.

I fully understand things won't be like this tomorrow.

EDIT: It's a 76-62 final, and the UPJ crew still thinks it's SELL-va rather than SLEE-va. Biss 20, Carter 17, Sleva 14 and 15 boards, Johnson 12. 46 percent shooting, 13-29 outside the arc. Kromka 16 for Cats.
                          Last edited by jrshooter; 12-18-2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Boro up 10 with a minute to go on ESU. Sure didn't see that coming.

Clarion defeated Lock Haven.

SRU over Kutz by 12. Final.

WCU over SH

Comment

• Final

Boro 101
                              ESU 87

Final

Ship 76
                              UPJ 62

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                                Ship just went up 20 on UPJ with six minutes left. The shooting arrived on a good day, and Biss is in the middle of it. But I didn't expect them to pass through Johnstown this easily.

I fully understand things won't be like this tomorrow.

EDIT: It's a 76-62 final, and the UPJ crew still thinks it's SELL-va rather than SLEE-va. Biss 20, Carter 17, Sleva 14 and 15 boards, Johnson 12. 46 percent shooting, 13-29 outside the arc. Kromka 16 for Cats.
                                UPJ is DEFINITELY not IUP, but this was a big and needed win for the Raiders. A few games back with the time of Biss's return uncertain, it looked as if Ship might exit December with 5 or even 6 losses. Now at worst it'll be 6-4 and the Raiders have a shot to gel for the Eastern Division road ahead.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X