Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Lol... Quit reading twitter. These "big time recruits" that we're always hearing about never sign with Capel.
    Capel has actually secured some pretty good recruits already if you follow the ratings. Trey McGowens was top 75 for his class before he reclassed. William Jeffess was a top 30 player in his actual graduation year before his reclass. John Hugley was top 80 or so. Femi Odukale and Noah Collier also spent time rated in the top 150.

The lack of a quality center has really hurt the program. I watched Kofi Cockburn today pounding the rock for Illinois. He was one of many misses. One of those guys could really make a difference---or at least before this latest blowup.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Good question.

Consider Xavier and McGowan -- both really good players -- were still available for Capel to sign in his first class ... and he got hired late. Maybe not a coincidence they were still available.

That said ... believe me Xavier's phone is ringing off the hook..

And, Toney, .... promise you will play for a Blue Blood next year. Not a doubt in my mind.
      Capel actually talked McGowens into a reclass that first year. Why he would have transferred to Nebraska is still beyond me. They are worse than Pitt. And plus, it's Nebraska!

Xavier on the other hand was indeed a player that coaches seemed a bit leery of with his attitude. Capel rolled the dice on him out of sheer necessity and did get a fab freshman season from him. But a pretty mixed bag after that. He can be really good or he can send your boat straight to the bottom. He is capable of both.

Not sure I buy Toney going to a blue blood to be honest. I might guess the University of Alabama since he is from there but hometown proximity seems to mean nothing to these players these days so who knows. I was thinking maybe V-tech for the X-man but again they don't seem to care much about playing near home.

Comment

• A very decent showing for Pitt frosh PG Femi Odukale stepping in for the departed Xavier Johnson. 18 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and only one turnover. And zero temper tantrums as far as i could ascertain.

Pitt outrebounded the Wolf Pack 45-31 but poor foul-shooting helped to doom them. Back in action on Tuesday at 6 PM as they host Wake Forest in the penultimate game of the regular season.

Comment

• How about Morehead State winning the OVC ...

Preston Spradlin has done wonders there. Quickly.

I don't think he'll be there much longer.

Comment

How about Morehead State winning the OVC ...

Preston Spradlin has done wonders there. Quickly.

I don't think he'll be there much longer.
            Phil Simms' alma mater making good!

How about the Fighting Illini?

How about Duke and Kentucky having some major woes?

More on Pitt later. Things not too good. Back in action for the ACC Tourney on Tuesday afternoon against Miami at 2 PM.

Comment

• Pitt concludes their season with a loss this afternoon to Miami in the opening round of the ACC Tourney. 10-12 is their final record.

Some major questions for Pitt as they head into the offseason.

A disappointing season with everything that happened-----the opening loss to St. Francis, all the postponments, the transfers, the arrest of a player, the illness of the coach, etc.

But at least there was a season. I guess that has to be considered a plus.

Femi Odukale with 28 points and Nike Sibande with 23 points at least look like solid players moving forward for the Panthers.

Big question on what Slam Penny will do this offseason? Does he come back?

No players currently signed for Pitt for next season.

Nearly 300 college players have entered into the transfer portal thus far. 70 came in on Monday.

Capel MUST find a quality big if he has any hope at all of trending this program up any further.

Many, many questions will need to be answered in the coming weeks and months.

Comment

• A few Pitt notes to chew on-----

-Justin Champagnie was named as a first team All ACC selection, which is an incredible honor. To the best of my understanding he is Pitt's first All ACC first team selectee.

-Word filtering down that SG Ithiel Horton is transferring from the program. If true---he will be the third starter to jump ship in the past month or so.

-Some of the crystal baller crowd is predicting former Pitt PG Xavier Johnson to sign with Indiana.

-For anyone who watched the Penn State-Nebraska Big 10 tourney game last evening you really have to wonder what in the world former Pitt transfer SG Trey McGowens was thinking in signing with the Cornhuskers? A truly horrible 7-20 team and you are in the state of Nebraska. I just don't get it. What's even worse is that his five-star brother Bryce eschewed a fab Florida State program to join him there next year. Why? The only good thing that came out of Lincoln was an empty train.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                  A few Pitt notes to chew on-----

-Justin Champagnie was named as a first team All ACC selection, which is an incredible honor. To the best of my understanding he is Pitt's first All ACC first team selectee.

-Word filtering down that SG Ithiel Horton is transferring from the program. If true---he will be the third starter to jump ship in the past month or so.

-Some of the crystal baller crowd is predicting former Pitt PG Xavier Johnson to sign with Indiana.

-For anyone who watched the Penn State-Nebraska Big 10 tourney game last evening you really have to wonder what in the world former Pitt transfer SG Trey McGowens was thinking in signing with the Cornhuskers? A truly horrible 7-20 team and you are in the state of Nebraska. I just don't get it. What's even worse is that his five-star brother Bryce eschewed a fab Florida State program to join him there next year. Why? The only good thing that came out of Lincoln was an empty train.

Lincoln is an odd choice. I'd say it's a football school ... but, it's not really even that anymore.

Comment

Lincoln is an odd choice. I'd say it's a football school ... but, it's not really even that anymore.
                    I just can't even imagine what the McGowens brothers are seeing there? They are a terrible program---much, much worse than what Pitt is.

i watched their first game at the beginning of the season on the day before Thanksgiving and the intro to the Nebraska arena showed a slow moving freight train moving through a most dismal landscape of Lincoln. I just don't know why these guys would want to be there for? They both could do so much better than that. Beyond me!

Comment

• Duke has shut it down. Season over.

Comment

Duke has shut it down. Season over.
                        Maybe time for Coach K to shut it down as well. Believe it or not he has been at Duke now for 41 years as he was hired in March of 1980. That is a long time ago.

Regarding things Pitt-----it appears that Horton is in fact staying with the Panthers despite the speculation that would refute that earlier today.

It is also official that SG Gerald Drumgoole is transferring out as he is entering into the transfers portal. He seemed to never really recover from an ankle injury very early into his Pitt career after making two starts.

Comment

Duke has shut it down. Season over.
                          Coach K wanted out anyways. He finally got his wish.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Coach K wanted out anyways. He finally got his wish.
                            While I understand the Covid concerns---he just comes off looking like a pouty little boy taking his ball and going home because he didn't have the usual lineup of Duke supermen this year that could reign supreme over everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

While I understand the Covid concerns---he just comes off looking like a pouty little boy taking his ball and going home because he didn't have the usual lineup of Duke supermen this year that could reign supreme over everyone.
                              Coach K hasn't had to "coach" in a couple decades. It's easy throwing teams of McDonald's All-Americans out there and beat everyone. Those days are over because those types want paid!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Coach K hasn't had to "coach" in a couple decades. It's easy throwing teams of McDonald's All-Americans out there and beat everyone. Those days are over because those types want paid!
                                I fully agree. They want to go to the NBA, the G-league or go to places like Arizona or Illinois where a bag man will hand them a big bag of cash. LOL.

It will be very interesting to see who will take over for K at Duke. I'm pretty convinced that it will not be a former Duke player who is now in coaching. Most of them suck pretty bad to be honest.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X