Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I look at it and say ... IUP could get back Malik and Chucky ... and Tommy Demogerontas ... and add Ousmane Diop.

Then I say ... that's the team they should have had this year ... LOL.

Malik and Chucky never took a redshirt year. Redshirt Joe would want to sit them for a year.

Comment

• Armstrong school district is closed until further notice

edit: all schools in PA closed for 10 business days, situation to be evaluated after the 10 days
      Last edited by Chuck Norris; 03-13-2020, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• A step in the right direction, if only for spring-sport athletes. Glad to hear it.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...7NkvJu2eRk-OcQ

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
          A step in the right direction, if only for spring-sport athletes. Glad to hear it.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...7NkvJu2eRk-OcQ
          It has some legs. A petition has already started to let seniors return next year (winter sports).

Not all would choose to but many probably would.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It has some legs. A petition has already started to let seniors return next year (winter sports).

Why stop at Seniors. I mean, all winter and spring sport athletes, regardless of weather they are Senior, Junior, Sophmore or Freshman have had their seasons "cut short." If you are going to give Seniors and extra year of eligibility, you should give every player an extra year.

Comment

• There is no way all seniors from winter sports should be able to return next year. Perhaps seniors or others who hadn't finished their seasons yet and had a chance to play in championships could return. Should they return for a whole year, or 2nd semester, or in the case of swimming and wrestling, just for the tournaments?

The PSAC may still have league play for spring sports from what I read. -" That all countable related athletic activities (CARA) is suspended until March 30 at which time the Board of Directors will review a proposal from the Athletics Administrators to resume CARA or suspend for the remainder of the semester. This includes practices, lifting sessions, team meetings, etc."

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If they end up not playing spring sports at all then I do feel those players should be eligible for an extra year. Basketball, however, they played the whole regular season. Nothing guarantees any team or player playoffs... so they're eligibility is done.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

If they end up not playing spring sports at all then I do feel those players should be eligible for an extra year. Basketball, however, they played the whole regular season. Nothing guarantees any team or player playoffs... so they're eligibility is done.
                  We'll see. There are some extremely powerful people leading the charge. I wouldn't call it a dead issue just yet. Far from it, actually.

Comment

• It's got be all seniors getting an extra year or none of them. It can't just be the players who had postseason games wiped out.

Comment

It's got be all seniors getting an extra year or none of them. It can't just be the players who had postseason games wiped out.
                      Correct. And, a vast number would just choose to move on with life and not return. But, the option should be given. I actually think it will be granted.

Comment

• No, the federal government has not acted very quickly here. Testing is still not where it should be. State governments, plus private companies, sports leagues etc. really have provided most of the leadership until this week. People saying we're at low or high risk are doing so at the moment without even having a clue to how many are infected. There were the first reported cases in Cumberland County, just north of here, on Friday. Basically, you're at low risk until you aren't. I'm not sure about your precedent theory. Do we shut down again for a mass pandemic? Depends what is it is and whether we're ready for it. Obviously if something even more severe than this thing (something equivalent to the 1918 influenza or the plague) comes along, yes we will shut down. If these mitigation efforts work, and this shuts down after a few thousand cases, that's fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

My sarcasm apparently didn't translate well.

I disagree in turn. ESU was ranked behind VSU pretty much only because of head-to-head. With that tiebreaker, they get the 7 seed. It's that simple.
                          So we're supposed to believe a four-game losing streak had less importance than a loss in the first weekend of the season?...Not buying it...

Comment

It's got be all seniors getting an extra year or none of them. It can't just be the players who had postseason games wiped out.
                            But why? Most of the seniors at the DII level had completed the last game they were going to play in college because they were on non playoff teams. Only players truely effected are the players on the teams that were in the playoffs and that applies to Seniors as well as Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen. All these players have lost out equally on one season of the playoffs regardless of what class they are in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

No, the federal government has not acted very quickly here. Testing is still not where it should be. State governments, plus private companies, sports leagues etc. really have provided most of the leadership until this week. People saying we're at low or high risk are doing so at the moment without even having a clue to how many are infected. There were the first reported cases in Cumberland County, just north of here, on Friday. Basically, you're at low risk until you aren't. I'm not sure about your precedent theory. Do we shut down again for a mass pandemic? Depends what is it is and whether we're ready for it. Obviously if something even more severe than this thing (something equivalent to the 1918 influenza or the plague) comes along, yes we will shut down. If these mitigation efforts work, and this shuts down after a few thousand cases, that's fine.
                              I'm not going to get into a political discussion, but there was quicker reaction here than when the 2008-2009 H1N1 pandemic swept across the globe and the nation. Had China been more transparent months ago about what was going on, the travel ban would have been put in place sooner. I commend the federal government for acting and stopping travel to/from China. The travel ban on Europe needed to happen as well. I bet by the end of the weekend the UK is added to that list as well. Should testing have been further along? Absolutely. But you could say that for many of the countries who have been hit by this. The only nation that quickly controlled this was Singapore, but they took an authoritative approach there. Had things occurred immediately in the US like what's happening in Singapore, people would have been screaming and complaining about taking away rights, freedoms, etc. People are scared now, though. So they're okay with all of that. New Rochelle, NY is about as close to Martial Law as you can get. Had that been enacted 4 weeks ago, across the US, when everybody was joking about this virus, people would have been rioting. I hope this goes away quickly and is contained too, but you can't have it both ways when you look at mass shutdowns while still trying to maintain freedom and normalcy.

It's easy to blame an administration, president, etc., for anything. I get it. But the CDC's infrastructure was never set up for the mass testing of a new virus in the manner that people are calling for. And it never was. That stretches back to when the CDC was created. That issue dates back years and across countless different administrations. What's gone on here is uncharted waters in the modern era. There's no script or playbook for this, because it's never happened before.

I can argue that the great thing about this country is that the state governments, private sector, sports leagues, etc., all have the power to make large scale decisions like this. I would rather live in a nation where individuals make these types of decisions instead of ONLY relying on the federal government to do things for us. I can't tell you where this all goes, but I believe, like I have mentioned before, that we all choose what study or report we want to believe. I saw a report yesterday that suggested 12 million Americans will be infected with this. I saw another report that suggests that in 2-3 weeks we will have this controlled in this country. Those are two totally different extremes reported from two public health experts. The great part about the United States of America is that we are provided different reports from private media outlets, private sector doctors, etc., and we have the freedom to choose what we want to believe.

The reality is that I'm not sure anybody really knows where this goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

But why? Most of the seniors at the DII level had completed the last game they were going to play in college because they were on non playoff teams. Only players truely effected are the players on the teams that were in the playoffs and that applies to Seniors as well as Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen. All these players have lost out equally on one season of the playoffs regardless of what class they are in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X