Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tend to agree that Bez probably doesn't get a ton of court time this season. But I do think Cooper will put him in there when the team needs a kick in the pants. I was impressed last year by Bezold's leadership and hustle. He's undersized and underskilled for D2, but last year he made up for that by working his tail off when he was on the court, and by showing (and telling) the other guys what needed to be done. You can watch him play and tell he's a coach's kid. That brings something to the table.

Comment

• 100% correct I almost said the same thing. I think he will be a pretty good coach someday.

Comment

• That's a fair point, he could be the energy guy on the team. Come in and get some boys amped back up and in line. He is smart and does know how things should work. Like I said, I like the kid I just don't think he should see significant minutes. I'm glad to get some chatter going again. 1st exhibition is only 20 days away!

On an unrelated note, I saw that Eli Wright has left WKU for "personal reasons"...... I was looking forward to watching KWC play him

Comment

• I had not heard about Wright. Truly a sad story. I think the same about the kid in Detroit.

I want to see the good with the bad about this team. Videos that just show shots going in can be so misleading. However it is pretty clear that this years team will be a bunch better. Some g-mac teams have also recruited well and have young players that will be better. We need to close out the last ten minutes of games. We need to win at home and beat all the teams we should.

I really really like playing D1 teams but I do wish we played some weaker teams earlier in the season. Loses early will either make us stronger or hurt our confidence. Time and coaching will tell.

I think our newest coach has bought into KWC. I know it can not be easy but if he stays involved he can help.

Let's keep talking about our basketball teams.

Comment

• I have not been on here for awhile. Some have messaged me and basically wanted to know if I was alright, I appreciated that. There have not been many posts from me because there has been nothing to really post about. The football program this season has not worked out as I hoped it would, that is an understatement to say the least. I am impressed with the size on our men's basketball team. KWC may have the largest front line in the G-MAC this season. Our centers are 7'2" and 6'11". That does not necessarily equate to success, because I have no idea how good they are. However, with that kind of size, if they don't rebound the ball better than last season there is no hope for this team in this season. I think they will be a good rebounding team, and it would be fun to see both centers in the game at the same time. If I were the coach and they were not in foul trouble, I would play them both for brief periods with one forward and two guards. Why not? They could be the twin towers of the G-MAC. Normally, players with that kind of size are not usually great ball handlers and shooters on the D2 level, nor do they usually have fast feet. However, if they can catch a pass down low, all they have to do is go up with it and lay it in. Still, their shots could be blocked if they can't jump well or time their shot well and players that size usually miss shots on the D2 level.

On Saturday, November 16th there will be a Sigma Phi Epsilon reunion for all the alumni. There is a basketball game with Urbana that afternoon at 2:15. The reunion starts at 11:00 am. So, I am hoping that the alumni and current Sig Eps will make that game and Wesleyan can put a W in the win column. It would be nice to watch them win another game in person. I like Dave Bezold being an assistant, and the DI games are scheduled because the athletic department desperately needs the money. This season's team desperately needs people in the stands also. For the sake of the basketball coaching staff, they need to produce this season or they could be replaced depending on the terms of their contract. Without wins, there are not going to be many fans at the games. Last season was one of the worst teams I can ever remember Wesleyan having in terms of wins. The team that was on probation put people in the stands, because they hustled and worked their behinds off. People complain about the character of the players, how about the win column? It matters! The years of routinely winning a ho hum 20 games a year seem to be far behind us, and that makes me really sad.

This basketball program needs a shot in the arm, and the azz. I think Dave Bezold will be one of the best assistant coaches the program has ever had, and I am curious if he was brought in to really be an assistant coach or to just be with his son that plays on the basketball team, or to have him in the wings in case the program needs another head coach in the near future. Honestly, I am just not thrilled with the overall success of the athletic program as of late. Last season they finished 8th in the President Cup Standings, but that was due to the fact that the school produced teams in every sport but swimming/diving and lacrosse. At one time the college had a good soccer program. Only 3 points separated the 8th through 11th place teams in the President Cup standings last season. Overall I am highly disappointed with the athletic program at Wesleyan. Something needs to change. I don't know what, or even if it is possible for things to change in the athletic program. I heard a man talking to another man who stated that the men's basketball team helped fund all of the other sports. I can believe that to be true in the past. And, that lack of funds has to hurt the overall athletic program. So, Coach Cooper needs to produce and don't call me a negative person. I am just being honest. Should this year's team be bad again, someone needs to be out recruiting like crazy.
            Last edited by alumnifan; 10-10-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Re: football - It hasn't shown up on the W/L record yet but anyone that's followed the team for any length of time can tell you they are an improved team. Games they would have been blown out in over the last few years have been competitive. Just need to get over the hump, which may take another year or two especially with as young as the team is. Hopefully they all stick with Coach Yeast and improve like they should.

Comment

• I think we are just several players away from being pretty good football team. Special teams have let us down in several of the loses. I will never support FB the way I do BB but theses coaches/kids do deserve our support. Attend games at home and on the road.

Has the AD started two bowling teams, a wrestling team, two real tennis teams, two real golf teams, rebuilt an outlaw MBB team in the last couple of years? If so seems like a good job to me.
                I like having as many teams as makes sense but could not care less if they are wildly successful. If being on a team enriches their college experience and helps them later in life I am all for it.

Comment

• My son's a high school bowler and we know some of the kids on the KWC bowling teams now, as well as a couple of the recruits signed for next year. Scott Thompson does a great job with that program and what they've done already in just over a year of existence is spectacular. In fact, the women's team opened their season today at a tournament hosted by Youngstown State.

Overall, the athletics program at KWC as a WHOLE has never been overly successful. What's the highest we ever placed in the all-sports standings in the GLVC? To be honest, placing 8th last year in the G-MAC is not too shabby, especially considering the MBB results. I don't have a problem with that. Obviously, MBB has always been another story, and needs to improve. I feel as though it is, and it will, under Coach Cooper. The other sports actually are better today than they have been in the past, in many cases. That doesn't mean they're going to go out and win a championship, but improvement is improvement.

I think it's kind of asinine to always be getting on here talking about replacing the administration or firing the basketball coach, etc etc and then say you don't want to be called negative. I mean, that's your prerogative, I guess. I'm not sure what else to call it, so I guess I just won't say anything else about it.

Comment

• FYI bowling video is on line at Youngtown's site. It is much more fun to watch than I expected. I agree using W vs L our team have never been very successful but if you follow the kids many have brought honor and real life success.

Today a guy came to do winter check of furnace. He noticed my KWC stuff and remarked that he had worked for a girl that played BB at KWC and she was a great manger. She also helped the organization win the coed industrial league.

Comment

• Yeah, I've bowled in leagues off and on for years, but when my kiddo got into it last year as an 8th grader and wound up on the high school team I was amazed by how much different it is watching a high school and/or college match. They get pretty rowdy and it's definitely a good time!

Comment

• Once chance for nerds to knock down something.

Comment

• As I have said our football team is about 25 players from being pretty good.

Comment

• KWC bowler Angelique McKeny bowled the first 300 game in program history and took home the individual championship at the Youngstown State tourney. Team ended up 5th out of 8 teams. Great start to the program's second season!

Comment

• Coach works his tail off and it shows.

Comment

• Purple v. White Scrimmage on Oct 26 @ 11 am at the SC. Looking forward to seeing the boys in action. It's almost basketball time in Owensboro!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X