Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side note: there is NO way KWC finished that game yesterday with only 8 assists. Cooper said on the post-game that the stat sheet they were given showed 0 assists in the first half. Whomever was keeping official stats for OVU needs to get their head out of their butts and do the job right.

Comment

• I agree the Hillsdale game was a great game. OVU looked like a team that has only beaten 2 NCAA D2 teams last night.

I know I sound negative but let's not think that KWC having an 8-7 GMAC record is impressive. GMAC has to be one of the worst conferences in the country this year. KWC's wins have come at home against:

Team Schnautza PI Ranking / RPI Ranking / Massey Ranking out of 309 teams

Ohio Dom. 163 187 173
      Tiffin 272 291 273
      Trevecca 297 294 301
      OVU 302 306 297
      Lake Erie 172 218 168
      Hillsdale 117 164 92

and on the road against
      Malone 186 231 198
      OVU 302 306 297

KWC's rankings are 221 198 222

Only 1 win against a team in the top 50% of country.

This year's team is about where we were last year compared to every one else in the country. KWC's PI when they had played 22 games was #222 compared to today's #221. Last year we beat Hillsdale up there in last game of season and we had high hopes that team had finally come around and looked forward to this year. Ending with victories over A-B, Trevecca, Tiffin, and Oakland City - some of the WORST teams in D2 - is not going to get my hopes up for next year.

More than likely KWC will be 5th seed for conference tournament which means a road trip to Cedarville. A win there will be nice end to season.

As far as being optimistic about next year...I feel like the old saying...Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
      Last edited by WKYDave; 02-14-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure Happy couldn't beat AB his first two years either. Of course they were a better team at that time...but still a weird parallel

Comment

• Ona side note, I listened to the game while driving. Does anyone who watched have any insight on how AB shot 20 free throws while we shot 2?

Comment

• Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
            Ona side note, I listened to the game while driving. Does anyone who watched have any insight on how AB shot 20 free throws while we shot 2?

Fouls were only 14 to 10...Problem was we fouled on shots, they fouled on the floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by WKYDave View Post
              I agree the Hillsdale game was a great game. OVU looked like a team that has only beaten 2 NCAA D2 teams last night.

I know I sound negative but let's not think that KWC having an 8-7 GMAC record is impressive. GMAC has to be one of the worst conferences in the country this year. KWC's wins have come at home against:

Team Schnautza PI Ranking / RPI Ranking / Massey Ranking out of 309 teams

Ohio Dom. 163 187 173
              Tiffin 272 291 273
              Trevecca 297 294 301
              OVU 302 306 297
              Lake Erie 172 218 168
              Hillsdale 117 164 92

and on the road against
              Malone 186 231 198
              OVU 302 306 297

KWC's rankings are 221 198 222

Only 1 win against a team in the top 50% of country.

This year's team is about where we were last year compared to every one else in the country. KWC's PI when they had played 22 games was #222 compared to today's #221. Last year we beat Hillsdale up there in last game of season and we had high hopes that team had finally come around and looked forward to this year. Ending with victories over A-B, Trevecca, Tiffin, and Oakland City - some of the WORST teams in D2 - is not going to get my hopes up for next year.

More than likely KWC will be 5th seed for conference tournament which means a road trip to Cedarville. A win there will be nice end to season.

As far as being optimistic about next year...I feel like the old saying...Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
              I agree. Lots of people get angry when you form a realistic critique of the program. These people usually have a vested interest in the program one way or the other. The men's basketball ship is sinking. Wesleyan does have a new President, and that President needs to right the ship. Wesleyan needs to return the program back to prominence. That is ultimately the President's job. A college basketball coach's job is to win. And, I am not criticizing the new President. We need a proven men's basketball coach, and I am sure we need the money to get one. Everyone knows when the men's basketball team suffers, the entire athletic department suffers.

Comment

• I don't know if it is possible or not, but in my humble opinion the men's basketball team needs a coaching name that people are familiar with. The college needs to reach out to as many people as possible to find a coach that can be successful. I'm not an avid fan anymore. Averaging 400 and change in attendance for home games is bad bad bad. The team needs a promoter and a proven winner as a coach.

Comment

• I was hopeful Alumnifan would never find this forum again....oh well!

I think if the team wins out there is a realistic shot at a 6 seed int he tournament. Not great, but would likely lead to a more winnable first round game.

Many of us said int he beginning that Coop needs 3 years to prove himself. I'm giving him that. If next year isn't remarkably better then a move should be evaluated. Alumnifan has been ready to provide him as a live sacrifice since his first loss. Did anyone see the game notes where Oakland City beat Wesleyan at the SC in 1996? Would that have been under Harper? Just think if they had given up on him so quickly after that AWFUL loss.

Comment

• I agree that Cooper should be given next year to turn the team around, and if marked improvement isn't realized then it's time to go shopping.

Regarding the talk about getting a recognizable and experienced name, we actually already have one on the bench - Dave Bezold. I don't know if he would consider taking the reigns of a program again, but if so, and next year doesn't work with Cooper, I'd immediately offer it to Bezold and see if he took it.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                      I agree that Cooper should be given next year to turn the team around, and if marked improvement isn't realized then it's time to go shopping.

Regarding the talk about getting a recognizable and experienced name, we actually already have one on the bench - Dave Bezold. I don't know if he would consider taking the reigns of a program again, but if so, and next year doesn't work with Cooper, I'd immediately offer it to Bezold and see if he took it.
                      The last time I checked Brandon has not banned me from the D2 Board. I have been on this board a long time now. I love KWC basketball and have done so for a long time. I want what is best for the program. If someone doesn't like me on this board, that is not my problem. My heart felt and sincere love for the college is what I focus on. Critical examination was taught to me by several oustanding professors at KWC. My allegiance is to the institution, not any individual or coach. I'm not taking cheap shots at anybody on this board.

I graduated with Ray Harper. I loved Wayne Chapman. I'm not on this board for any reason but to support KWC athletics, and I am sure there a few people affiliated with Wesleyan who understand that. The women's program is outstanding. Bezold has the experience. He would get my nod if he is up for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by pantherfan View Post
                        I was hopeful Alumnifan would never find this forum again....oh well!

I think if the team wins out there is a realistic shot at a 6 seed int he tournament. Not great, but would likely lead to a more winnable first round game.

Many of us said int he beginning that Coop needs 3 years to prove himself. I'm giving him that. If next year isn't remarkably better then a move should be evaluated. Alumnifan has been ready to provide him as a live sacrifice since his first loss. Did anyone see the game notes where Oakland City beat Wesleyan at the SC in 1996? Would that have been under Harper? Just think if they had given up on him so quickly after that AWFUL loss.
                        FYI...Oakland City home loss was under Boultinghouse and probably was the main reason the college lost faith in his coaching.

Curious, what record does Cooper need to have next year to keep job in your opinion?

Comment

• Comment

• He's had double digit wins his first two seasons. Of course top 4 implies more than 12 wins (unless all are in conference).

I think 17-20 wins against D2 competition is needed by year 3 personally. Some will depend on start of season. If they start flat like this year with Urbana, Wheeling, etc I won't have much left even if they win 17.

Comment

• Originally posted by WKYDave View Post

He's had double digit wins his first two seasons. Of course top 4 implies more than 12 wins (unless all are in conference).

I think 17-20 wins against D2 competition is needed by year 3 personally. Some will depend on start of season. If they start flat like this year with Urbana, Wheeling, etc I won't have much left even if they win 17.

Comment

• I just wanted to share this and it has nothing to do with current talk as I don't have time to read boards and AB has fallen off the map.

I saw wsaz's site that Ashland HS just finished the basketball season at 28-0. I know that former KWC assistant Jason Mays is the head coach there. That is quite an accomplishment. I know he took over a tough situation for a season as interim at KWC. I thought he was good coach along with Happy. I just like seeing guys land on their feet and do well. Ashland used to have a lot of success a long time ago but was down for quite awhile. Mays definitely has them rolling. I know former AB head coach Steve Dodd later took over head coach at Russell HS and took them to the final four at Rupp Arena.
                                Last edited by JDonAB92; 02-21-2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X