Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get why we need over the top anything. I can only speak for myself but I'm perfectly capable of recognizing the shortfalls while also acknowledging the positives. It's not like we're 0-17 and getting blown out by 40 every game.

Comment

• So without over the top rhetoric, what DO we do? We're a pitiful 6-11. We have to win 6 of our last 9 games to end up .500 on the year. And don't get me wrong, the games are winnable. Hosting Findlay and Hillsdale will be a real challenge, but we CAN play with those guys. They're not invincible. Lake Erie tonight, and then at their place next Saturday, could be very telling games. Lake Erie has been decent to good this year. They could easily beat us in both of those games. So who knows!

If we flounder through the rest of the year and don't show more progress, what then? I know there's the whole "haven't had 3 losing seasons in a row since WWII" thing, but of course the first of these 3 are certainly not Cooper's fault. And I keep thinking back to the first two seasons under Todd Lee. 7-19 and 13-14, then we were back in business (relatively speaking). And I know Lee was dealing with probation, but was Cooper's situation coming in THAT much different? Not probation, but complete team turnover and rebuild? So I don't know. I see the types of players he is recruiting and I feel like they are high quality. Maybe not "elite" but certainly not "bad" either for the most part. The Hancock kid signed for next year looks VERY good. I can't help feeling like we're missing one or two pieces which would turn the tables for us. Those pieces can be added for next year. But WILL they? Last year and coming into this year I preached patience. I still feel that. But I freely acknowledge that things are starting to feel more urgent. And then you look across the way at STAC and think "man, we almost hired THAT coach" ... it just makes you wonder "what if?"

I don't know the details of Cooper's contract, so I don't know when renewal would come up. I DON'T think it's been enough time to fire him at this point, and I assume his contract was at least 3 years, so I feel like he's still going to be the man next year. If the ship isn't righted by then, how can we NOT move on? But hopefully next year we'll be looking more stable and consistent, and getting into that 18-20 wins range, and at least realistically challenging for the conference title. Otherwise, I think you have to cut your losses and go get someone new.

Comment

• After watching us play two schools last weekend I think much of the issue is coaching. Not Cooper but Ky. high school coaching. Due to the really good players going out of state and the lack of teaching fundamentals that you see from other states Kentucky basketball is not what it once was. So often our players get out played because in KY. high school the name of the win was out score the other guy. This does not work in college against teams that play defense. I also think that it shows that many of our players have not played for a year or more. If Cooper can keep working with this team I do expect them to get better but it will not be easy.

If you think I am full of it just look at the Indiana vs Kentucky all star games. The first player Cooper offered is in South Florida and plays about a minute a game. Players in Ky. have been shown to be over rated when they go to college. Just look at the 3/4 stars that transfer from school to school and never do as well as their rating.

Cooper needs to get on recruiting trail and not just Kentucky. We have signed a kid that can shoot when open but not much more to his games. We can expect more of the same from him I am afraid.

Comment

• Anybody else notice that Bell wasn't with the team last night? Wondering if he caught the flu bug or if something happened. Otherwise, pretty good game. Liked that the boys played physical. I'm a big fan of Wyatt, I think the kid has outstanding potential.

Comment

• Bell was/is sick. Parts of the game was very sweet.

Comment

• Yes, the guys played well last night. The coach kind of acted like Lake Erie played poorly more than we played well but honestly I think he's just being cautious to give too much credit to the guys at this point what with the way they are so up and down all season. Here we are again in a situation where we played great and now have an unusual length of time before our next game. In this case the schedule is the fault of the league, but these types of breaks have led to letdowns all season. I don't like it. It seems like we get some rhythm and start playing really well and then have to sit out a week or two and then come back having backslid.

We'll see what happens when they travel up to Lake Erie next weekend. I keep thinking they're going to turn this corner and build on their successes but so far this season they've let me down every time, so I'm going to guess we get beat at LE's place. Maybe a little reverse psych will work.

Comment

• Lake Erie went and lost to Trevecca....wth

Comment

• Cooper seems more relaxed and focused. I think this could be for one of two reasons. Maybe both. Maybe he has been told he will have a job next year. Maybe it is due to who he thinks will be coming next year. By playing his bench more I think he is getting experience for his younger players. If he has a good recruiting class next year could be interesting.

I think this years team has played about 80% of what I expected. Play really good for 10 minutes then fall apart. I am not sure why some (good players) have struggled in games but this summer work has to be done. Using the bench should help.

I feel bad for AB and their gym issue.

Comment

• I kind of feel like the biggest thing we're still missing with these guys is an on the court leader. I think Jo Griffin has the capability to be that next year, if he accepts the role. Stew Currie, too, as it doesn't have to be the PG. I think Stew WAS assuming that role, actually, until he had to miss some games there and that really set him back. I dunno. I feel like next year has to be successful if we're going to salvage the Cooper regime. If it's more of the same results next season I feel we have no choice but to move on, or give up on returning to national prominence.

Comment

• I predict tonight we give Findlay all they can handle but lose by less than 5. My HOPE for tonight is we give the same effort we gave against Lincoln Memorial and win by 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                        I predict tonight we give Findlay all they can handle but lose by less than 5. My HOPE for tonight is we give the same effort we gave against Lincoln Memorial and win by 10.
                        Nice call, even though still a loss.

Comment

• It was a jump stop (a reverse jump stop)

Comment

• You have to be moving or dribbling...a "jump stop" is allowed only to "gather" Zach had both feet underneath him and then jumps backward. I think it was the right call.

Comment

• From my angle, it appeared he grabbed the ball and took two steps backwards then shot. But I was directly across from him with players in between so it wasn't the best angle. All I know is holding the other team to only 59 points, especially a very good team like Findlay is outstanding. But it doesn't mean much if you can only put up 56. We need guards that can actually finish around the rim.

Comment

• http://athletics.findlay.edu/sports/...20200206y1w29k

I thought this was an interesting picture. Wonder what your coach is thinking.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X