• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just let the Wookiee win.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

What's the criteria for FCS playoffs?
      It’s better overall but there are issues. Very subjective and lacks transparency. The bidding process to host was also called into question this season.

The basics from the article:

The 24-team playoff field is selected and places in a bracket are assigned by a selection committee. The only must for the committee is to include teams who earned automatic bids by winning their conference championships. The rest are at-large selections based on subjective evaluation by the committee.

The top eight teams are seeded one through eight and awarded a first-round bye, according to a subjective process from the committee. The other 16 teams play in the first round; who hosts the eight games at home in the first round is, again, decided by the committee.

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

It’s better overall but there are issues. Very subjective and lacks transparency. The bidding process to host was also called into question this season.

The basics from the article:

The 24-team playoff field is selected and places in a bracket are assigned by a selection committee. The only must for the committee is to include teams who earned automatic bids by winning their conference championships. The rest are at-large selections based on subjective evaluation by the committee.

The top eight teams are seeded one through eight and awarded a first-round bye, according to a subjective process from the committee. The other 16 teams play in the first round; who hosts the eight games at home in the first round is, again, decided by the committee.

I get the subjective process concern. But I think most that don't like the current criteria in D2 get frustrated (me) when most agree the selection/order doesn't show a best to worse order. And usually we hear something along the lines that the numbers said so. So using metrics doesn't work either. I suspect the FCS folks get numbers, use them, then eye test the order. And they don't fall back on "well the criteria says." So that's were the less transparency comes in. I bet some of that goes on now in D2, but more emphasis is given to the numbers.

Comment

Regardless of the number of teams qualifying Regionality must be scrapped. Just look at this year’s FCS title game…SDSU vs NDSU(both from the Missouri Valley Conference). It reminds me of the earlier years of D2 before Regionality when 2 NCC teams would play for the title

Comment

I was messing around and had done something very similar to Inkblot..with the spirit of how the FCS was doing theirs..as I think we'd all prefer that. Ink and I haven't talked about any of this together..we just both just did a test bracket independent of each other. This was just a Witt sketch of my own version of the deal. Keep in mind, everything is through the eyes of what the teams resume looked like through 11 weeks....not with the understanding of how teams faired in the postseason this year. While drumming up a bracket, I looked to adhere to these thoughts..

-I didn't look at anything through the lens of regions..I looked at this as a national field of teams.

-I took every conference champ (15 of them) and gave them an auto-bid, which I believe FCS does (while I didn't have their exact criteria). Inclusion would create more buy-in for such a process if each conference knows their conference champ will make it in..period. This makes for 15 conference champs and 13 at-large spots. This doesn't grant you a home game..simply a seat at the table..that's all.

-I then took the top 4 teams and put them each in a different quad of the bracket..just like the FCS does.

-Per a national committee taking a hard look at the entire field..with our typical criteria and then their own judgement..and using previous experience to come into play (giving the benefit of playoff success to the MIAA, GLIAC, GSC, and such). For example, an unbeaten Ouachita is not in the top 4 (heading into the playoffs), but I ranked them 6 here. Ferris higher. Seed 5 is in the same quad with the 4 seed..the 1 seed overall is with the 8 seed overall..and such. That's the end of the seeding there.

-I also did the same as FCS in that I had no repeat games from the regular season in R1..but tried to put teams in matchups in R1 that would avoid flights. (using 600 miles like we currently do) In future rounds if I could lesson flights great, but with the field being cut almost in half the ability to not have flights is....hit and miss. Truly, if the NCAA is looking to better this tournament they'll need to adopt something closer to the FCS model and stop going with a numbers-only selection process and start having people truly assess the teams (with historical reference in their back pocket) and the ability for the best 4 teams to be split up....not in the same SR(3) like they are now with GV and Ferris..or NW like past years.

-I then drew up a sketch that combined the AFCA poll, the D2football.com poll, and Massey....and assessed what other teams were seemingly deserving of a playoff game..and the remainder of the teams were on the road. The yellow indicates the needed flights in R1. Uncertain of outcomes, I didn't do that in future rounds. By no means is this perfect..but I would take it over the current system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D2 2022 Witt Bracket.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	730968
            Last edited by Matt Witwicki; 12-30-2022, 12:04 PM.

Comment

The NCAA needs to stop worrying about expenses and pay for the flights if needed in the first round. They are just tight wads. Cough up the money NCAA! You got it to let loose the purse strings!

Comment

I dislike the use of polls unless we change how they are done. I mean, even the D2 poll doesn't appear to be based on who would beat whom some of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
                  The NCAA needs to stop worrying about expenses and pay for the flights if needed in the first round. They are just tight wads. Cough up the money NCAA! You got it to let loose the purse strings!
                  The NCAA treats the D2 playoffs like a financial burden instead of actually thinking outside the box to promote the brand and upgrade the playoffs to actually make some money for the teams/conferences!

Who plays all of their playoff games at the same time (basically)? These games, especially the semis and title game, should be broadcast in ways that would capitalize on the good level of football in many of these matchups. Maybe different days of the week or something to get them on ESPN/2 or even ESPN+ like the FCS playoffs. FCS has a couple of matchups each playoff week on ESPN or ESPN2 but they may be on a Friday afternoon/night and the rest are on ESPN+.

Instead, the NCAA is allowing D2 to fall backward in coverage and promotion. I recall when the title game was always on ESPN or ESPN2. This year it was relegated to ESPNU.

I know you were talking flights and such, which I completely agree with, too. The NCAA has to find better ways to fund, operate, and promote the D2 Playoffs.
                  Last edited by UNALions; 12-30-2022, 03:50 PM.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post

Load up the bracket with Big Sky and Missouri Valley schools and call it a day.
                    This whole thread is basically a circle jerk to say that load up the playoffs each year with the same 10 teams with the whiniest most entitled fan bases in D2 and call it a day.

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                      Changing SOS models would be a good start. https://www.patreon.com/posts/applying-margin-75101887
                      Would there be a statistically significant advantage to a team that plays 6 home games vs a team that plays 5 home games?
                      Go Hounds!
                      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                      Cyclone Power
                      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

The NCAA treats the D2 playoffs like a financial burden instead of actually thinking outside the box to promote the brand and upgrade the playoffs to actually make some money for the teams/conferences!

Who plays all of their playoff games at the same time (basically)? These games, especially the semis and title game, should be broadcast in ways that would capitalize on the good level of football in many of these matchups. Maybe different days of the week or something to get them on ESPN/2 or even ESPN+ like the FCS playoffs. FCS has a couple of matchups each playoff week on ESPN or ESPN2 but they may be on a Friday afternoon/night and the rest are on ESPN+.

Instead, the NCAA is allowing D2 to fall backward in coverage and promotion. I recall when the title game was always on ESPN or ESPN2. This year it was relegated to ESPNU.

I know you were talking flights and such, which I completely agree with, too. The NCAA has to find better ways to fund, operate, and promote the D2 Playoffs.
                        D2 won't make the NCAA money no matter what they do to promote it. I'm not sure why people think this will ever change, the NCAA is nothing but a business. You don't spend money on and promote your least popular product when your best seller is keeping you rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

D2 won't make the NCAA money no matter what they do to promote it. I'm not sure why people think this will ever change, the NCAA is nothing but a business. You don't spend money on and promote your least popular product when your best seller is keeping you rich.
                          Yep.

Flip the NSIC and the MIAA region wise and the whining will go away.

All of the whining is because the MIAA (who doesn't play anyone OOC in the regular season...LAME) and the 6 team GLIAC (don't have 10 teams...no playoff bids should be a rule) are in the same region. Boo ****ing Hoo.

Comment

To make the entitled happy...expand the playoffs to 8 teams per region and rearrange the conferences in 3 and 4.

Region 1
                            Pee Sack - 16 teams
                            MEC - 12 team
                            GMAC - 9 teams
                            NE 10 - 8 Teams

Total - 45 teams vying for 8 spots

Region 2
                            SIAC - 13 teams
                            CIAA - 12 teams
                            SAC - 12 teams
                            GSC - 8 Teams

Total - 45 teams vying for 8 spots

Region 3
                            GAC - 12 teams
                            MIAA - 11 teams
                            LSC - 10 teams

Total - 33 teams vying for 8 spots

Region 4

NSIC - 12 teams
                            RMAC - 10 teams
                            GLIAC - 7 teams
                            GLVC - 7 teams

Total - 36 teams vying for 8 spots

This gives the Midwest whiners in two regions more spots per capita.

Comment

NM-wrong thread
                              Last edited by NWFanatic; 12-31-2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

If it’s truly the case that the NCAA can’t find a way to think outside the box and monetize a football product, I doubt it will exist in 50 years. It is a business. That’s a fact.

Your statement is a huge red alert to D2 football.

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X