Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TJ85 View Post

Head to head ND would lose to the top 3 PSAC teams. Sorry the stroud gave up 76 points last week and you're salty
    ND would go somewhere between 3-0 and 2-1 against the top 3 PSAC teams. They're good and very well coached. Historically bad and in a bottom tier conference but they're not to be overlooked.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      I long ago gave up the theory that the top PSAC teams would smash the top team from the other SR1 conferences. I know (and we all read yearly) all the theories ... perceived weaker conferences, etc.

However, as stated above, stats are facts. I watched Notre Dame beat SRU last year. That wasn't a fluke. I saw Shepherd beat IUP and California. Is there merit to playing a weaker regular season schedule in football? Without a doubt.

My big concern with ND is the workload they have given star RB Jaleel McLaughlin. He's already at 214 carries with a couple regular season games to go. What would they be like without him? Hard to say. But, they have studs on both lines, etc. I'm not going to say they'd be undefeated playing a PSAC schedule, but they'd be real good.

Even look back to 2017. Nobody thought Assumption had a chance against IUP ... and they just about pulled the upset in Indiana. Cal lost up there the week prior. We may not respect the MEC and NE10 as a whole, football speaking, but you sure best respect the team they still have playing in November. If not ... you'll be prepping for the banquet.
      You have to go no further than last year with West Chester getting upset by a New Haven team that Slippery Rock dispatched 59-20 in the next round.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

You have to go no further than last year with West Chester getting upset by a New Haven team that Slippery Rock dispatched 59-20 in the next round.
        And, didn't that same WCU team beat SRU the week before ... figure that one out.

Comment

And, didn't that same WCU team beat SRU the week before ... figure that one out.
          You can't. That's what is weird and wonderful about Division II sports (although it's not so wonderful when it's your team on the wrong end of the upset).

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

ND would go somewhere between 3-0 and 2-1 against the top 3 PSAC teams. They're good and very well coached. Historically bad and in a bottom tier conference but they're not to be overlooked.
            1. Where are you getting the "historically bad" part? NDC didn't start playing until 2009 and didn't go D2 until 2012.
            2. Bottom tier conference? A top heavy conference might be more appropriate, since the WVIAC/MEC has won the region on a regular basis this decade.
            https://notredamefalcons.com/sports/...l-history.aspx

Comment

• In theory, a PSAC vs. Bowie State game should be an in-region game. But, even though Michigan should be considered in-region for SR1 (thanks to Hillsdale/GMAC), the Slippery Rock/Wayne State (Mich.) game apparently is considered out-of-region; same with Grand Valley vs. Edinboro from Week 1 (which obviously could hurt GV in SR3). I guess the state-by-state regionalization principles which apply in most sports don't apply to football.

Then again, it might be in-region because Pennsylvania (and West Virginia) border Maryland. I've given up trying to figure out NCAA logic anymore...
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I long ago gave up the theory that the top PSAC teams would smash the top team from the other SR1 conferences. I know (and we all read yearly) all the theories ... perceived weaker conferences, etc.

However, as stated above, stats are facts. I watched Notre Dame beat SRU last year. That wasn't a fluke. I saw Shepherd beat IUP and California. Is there merit to playing a weaker regular season schedule in football? Without a doubt.

My big concern with ND is the workload they have given star RB Jaleel McLaughlin. He's already at 214 carries with a couple regular season games to go. What would they be like without him? Hard to say. But, they have studs on both lines, etc. I'm not going to say they'd be undefeated playing a PSAC schedule, but they'd be real good.

Even look back to 2017. Nobody thought Assumption had a chance against IUP ... and they just about pulled the upset in Indiana. Cal lost up there the week prior. We may not respect the MEC and NE10 as a whole, football speaking, but you sure best respect the team they still have playing in November. If not ... you'll be prepping for the banquet.
                And all it takes is a PSAC team to come across a perfectly executed game plan put forth by an MEC/GMAC/NE-10 team to knock said PSAC team out of the playoffs. More often than not, at least in D2, it's not about the seeding, it's about the matchup between game plans.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Hmmmm. I've never been on a rankings committee, so I've never had to "justify" anything. Pretty sure I never said IUP "had to do" anything either. I said something along the lines of if SOS was even between two teams, a team with a 9-2 record would be selected over a team with an 8-2 record, which means playing and winning an 11th game would be beneficial. Reasonable people can comprehend that concept. It's clear you can not. You're foolish to think that I care enough about IUP to have a bias against them. In an effort to help you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pine Ridge View Post
                    1. Where are you getting the "historically bad" part? NDC didn't start playing until 2009 and didn't go D2 until 2012.
                    2. Bottom tier conference? A top heavy conference might be more appropriate, since the WVIAC/MEC has won the region on a regular basis this decade.
                    https://notredamefalcons.com/sports/...l-history.aspx
                    Yeah, but that was mostly shepherd -and the #2 mec teams have not done too well in the playoffs. The league has always had more bottom feeders than average,This year, some teams like Urbana and WVSU that were bad have improved but you added two new football schools that wouldn't win too many psac games. NDC's program is a great story, they won't be easy to beat in SR1 this year, but that's really all you can say.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

And all it takes is a PSAC team to come across a perfectly executed game plan put forth by an MEC/GMAC/NE-10 team to knock said PSAC team out of the playoffs. More often than not, at least in D2, it's not about the seeding, it's about the matchup between game plans.
                      That's true, so game coaching matters alot. Also personel matchups really matter inthe playoffs. losing one key player late in the season can change everything. A weak schedule helps coaches avoid this, and preparesthe team fro changes in the playoffs. Tortarella was talking about how few carries Evans and Bullock have this season. I'm sure He's hoping they will be gearing up in the post season, when the Defenses are beat up from a tough season. That's the advantage of being in a weak conference, that does not play many ooc games (so opponents W/L sticks around 0.500 )

Comment

• I wouldn't call it a travesty.

1. Bryant made it with two losses.

2. Merrimack and Southern Connecticut made it with three losses, but each of them had a loss to a 1-AA, so it didn't count.
                        • Merrimack lost to Bryant (8-3) and Bentley (6-5).
                        • Southern Connecticut lost to Bryant (8-3) and Merrimack (8-4).

3. IUP didn't play a single team that made it to the playoffs.
                        • IUP lost to Millersville (5-6) and Slippery Rock (7-4).
                        http://www.indianagazette.com
                        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I wouldn't call it a travesty.

2. Merrimack and Southern Connecticut made it with three losses, but each of them had a loss to a 1-AA, so it didn't count.

• [*]IUP lost to Millersville (5-6) and Slippery Rock (7-4).
                          Hahaha

September 23, 2006: The day IUP should have been relegated from the PSAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I wouldn't call it a travesty.

• IUP lost to Millersville (5-6) and Slippery Rock (7-4).
                            IUP was better than the NE10 frauds.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

IUP was better than the NE10 frauds.

I'm playing the world's smallest violin for your woes.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I'm salty? Sounds like you're the salty one that NDC is ranked higher than your infinite wisdom thinks. Note that you're the first one who has complained about NDC being ranked above IUP, so either everyone is salty but you, or you're projecting your own shortcomings on everyone else.

EDIT: Also, why did it take you almost a month to work up the courage to come back here after IUP lost to Rock? Worried you couldn't handle the heat?
                                Haven't had the time to be on here every single day 24 hours a day like you pal. I actually have a life and did not want to see all of the terrible football knowledge that would be displayed on here after that game because everything you guys said pretty much told me one thing. You watched the game but didn't watch the game. You have absolutely zero idea what is going on in the plays. You just watch the ball, forget everything else. There's a lot more going on than just where the ball is going and I couldn't stand to read what you guys wrote any longer. It was an insult to my intelligence. We will see where everyone is at come December and the end of November.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X