Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Yeah, that is unfortunate that the game has to be called off. It would have been great for the old Laurel Valley crowd. Such great teams out there over the years with the legendary Jerry Page. I still recall players like Rich Dohoda, Bill Conrad, Randy Lavely, Tim Howard, Jason Burkhart, et al. They had some good ones.

I'll give you a blast from the past on this date----Sept. 3, 1983. Penns Manor defeated Laurel Valley up at Kenwood. I only mention it because it was the very rare win over Page's charges. And I mean very rare. I recall the LV QB was named Swatsworth that evening. Does any of that ring a bell?

-
    Unfortunately yes, was Coach Page's first losing season in 1983 (2-7)

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't know their exact enrollment. Geographically they'd be a good fit with Derry, Greensburg Salem, Indiana, etc. (but they'd be voluntarily playing up to be WPIAL 4A). But, yes, they are a total joke playing in the Heritage.

I will say, though, the Heritage puts more kids in the PSAC than many think. LV the most obviously. They also have 3 committed D1 linemen right now. The league doesn't have tons of talent but it does produce some 'diamonds in the rough' on a yearly basis.

Remember these D2 colleges sign like 18-25 kids a year. They can't all be 'stars' from big schools.

Anybody remember a little, unknown (somewhat local to Indiana) QB IUP didn't want back in the late 1990s? Does Randy McKavish ring a bell? He was pretty good at SRU and beat IUP a couple times.

Point being there are good players out there in these small leagues. They can be hard to find but they do exist.

One of the knocks on Duane Brown was he was dominating at little Apollo-Ridge (with teammate and current Pitt WR Tre Tipton).
      I think Central Cambria back then was probably Triple A, would not call that small.

Ligonier probably graduates between 120-140, depending on the year, I think Marion Center and West Shamokin are probably around the same. Ligonier going to the Wpial is not going to happen, the travel would be brutal, they would have to travel to McGuffey, Washington, etc; when and if Bishop Guifoyle leaves the Laurel Highlands, Ligonier would be a nice replacement, longest roadtrip would be to Bedford

Comment

• You're going to find that sometimes, and there are even more blatant examples in the Mid-Penn Conference.

Commonwealth Division
        6A Altoona, 6A Carlisle, 6A Central Dauphin, 6A CD East, 6A Chambersburg, 5A Cumberland Valley, 6A Harrisburg, 6A State College.

Keystone Division
        4A Bishop McDevitt, 5A Cedar Cliff, 5A Hershey, 5A Lower Dauphin, 5A Mechanicsburg, 5A Red Land, 4A Susquehanna Township.

Colonial Division
        4A Big Spring, 4A Greencastle-Antrim, 4A James Buchanan (playing independent), 6A Mifflin County, 4A Northern, 4A Shippensburg, 5A Waynesboro, 4A West Perry.

Capitol Division
        3A Boiling Springs, 2A Camp Hill, 4A East Pennsboro, 3A Middletown, 4A Milton Hershey, 5A Palmyra, 1A Steelton-Highspire, 3A Trinity.

The funny thing is, the schools that are out of whack here, I think they're quite comfortable. Mifflin County is a lot better off in the Colonial than getting beaten up each week in the Commonwealth. 5A Palmyra vs. 1A Steel-High in the Capitol? That's a pretty square matchup, actually. In fact, the Capitol is a very well-balanced division.

The Mid-Penn is going to see a heavy influx of 1A-2A programs next year when six Tri-Valley League schools (Halifax, Juniata, Line Mountain, Newport, Susquenita and Upper Dauphin) move into the conference. James Buchanan will return to a Mid-Penn schedule -- they went independent three years ago because they were simply noncompetitive -- and JB will join those six TVL schools in a fifth division.
        Last edited by jrshooter; 09-04-2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

You're going to find that sometimes, and there are even more blatant examples in the Mid-Penn Conference.

Commonwealth Division
          6A Altoona, 6A Carlisle, 6A Central Dauphin, 6A CD East, 6A Chambersburg, 5A Cumberland Valley, 6A Harrisburg, 6A State College.

Keystone Division
          4A Bishop McDevitt, 5A Cedar Cliff, 5A Hershey, 5A Lower Dauphin, 5A Mechanicsburg, 5A Red Land, 4A Susquehanna Township.

Colonial Division
          4A Big Spring, 4A Greencastle-Antrim, 4A James Buchanan (playing independent), 6A Mifflin County, 4A Northern, 4A Shippensburg, 5A Waynesboro, 4A West Perry.

Capitol Division
          3A Boiling Springs, 2A Camp Hill, 4A East Pennsboro, 3A Middletown, 4A Milton Hershey, 5A Palmyra, 1A Steelton-Highspire, 3A Trinity.

The funny thing is, the schools that are out of whack here, I think they're quite comfortable. Mifflin County is a lot better off in the Colonial than getting beaten up each week in the Commonwealth. 5A Palmyra vs. 1A Steel-High in the Capitol? That's a pretty square matchup, actually. In fact, the Capitol is a very well-balanced division.

The Mid-Penn is going to see a heavy influx of 1A-2A programs next year when six Tri-Valley League schools (Halifax, Juniata, Line Mountain, Newport, Susquenita and Upper Dauphin) move into the conference. James Buchanan will return to a Mid-Penn schedule -- they went independent three years ago because they were simply noncompetitive -- and JB will join those six TVL schools in a fifth division.

What was the deal with Altoona joining the WPIAL? I know it was a disaster on the field (they were awful during most of their time in the WPIAL in football). And, the travel was insane. I can't recall what sparked their initial move.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

You're going to find that sometimes, and there are even more blatant examples in the Mid-Penn Conference.

Commonwealth Division

Keystone Division

Colonial Division

Capitol Division

Interesting post. Is Mifflin County 6A based on enrollment? If so, is "just over the threshold" and not as big as the Commonwealth Division schools?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Interesting post. Is Mifflin County 6A based on enrollment? If so, is "just over the threshold" and not as big as the Commonwealth Division schools?
              641 males in the top three grades, comfortably in 6A. Williamsport, Plymouth-Whitemarsh, Cedar Crest, Central Dauphin East, all smaller 6A schools.

But they play a 3A/4A level of football, simply put. They join Shippensburg, Northern and West Perry as the cream of the Commonwealth.

Comment

What was the deal with Altoona joining the WPIAL? I know it was a disaster on the field (they were awful during most of their time in the WPIAL in football). And, the travel was insane. I can't recall what sparked their initial move.
                Altoona is not so hot where they are now, either. They are 0-2, having lost to Hollidaysburg 35-21 and Williamsport 31-0. These bigger schools outside of Pgh./Hbg./Phila. had trouble finding a home for a while. I think when State College went to the Mid-Penn Altoona and Mifflin County followed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

It's great PR to have a local kid that plays on the team, even if they only play on special teams and to run out the clock. The downside is if the locals think the kid is better than he is and he doesn't play. but in the end the upside is pretty good having local communities interested in how IUP football is doing.
                  Couldn't agree more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

I think Central Cambria back then was probably Triple A, would not call that small.

Ligonier probably graduates between 120-140, depending on the year, I think Marion Center and West Shamokin are probably around the same. Ligonier going to the Wpial is not going to happen, the travel would be brutal, they would have to travel to McGuffey, Washington, etc; when and if Bishop Guifoyle leaves the Laurel Highlands, Ligonier would be a nice replacement, longest roadtrip would be to Bedford
                    Ligonier is by far the largest, and it sounds like they'll be moved to AAA when they do the numbers again for next year. My understanding is they were one or two boys short the last time around. The other AA schools you mentioned have between 75-90 less kids to chose from across the four grades. That's a big gap. I appreciate when people say, "It's up to everyone else to get better," but it's not that simple. Ligonier Valley, before the merger with Laurel Valley, was a great fit for the Heritage. They were mostly in the middle to top third of teams in most sports. They may have won the conference in football once. Laurel Valley was as well, even with far fewer kids. While there's not doubt that Ligonier has a nice program, there's no denying that they got bigger before they got better. It's nobody's fault, it just ended up that way. Now, for the sake of the Heritage and Ligonier Valley, it seems like a change is necessary.

A lot of people expect Ligonier to break Blairsville's run of four consecutive conference championships, but Blairsville did it with a "A" school against several schools that were bigger. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

Comment

I don't know their exact enrollment. Geographically they'd be a good fit with Derry, Greensburg Salem, Indiana, etc. (but they'd be voluntarily playing up to be WPIAL 4A). But, yes, they are a total joke playing in the Heritage.

I will say, though, the Heritage puts more kids in the PSAC than many think. LV the most obviously. They also have 3 committed D1 linemen right now. The league doesn't have tons of talent but it does produce some 'diamonds in the rough' on a yearly basis.

Remember these D2 colleges sign like 18-25 kids a year. They can't all be 'stars' from big schools.

Anybody remember a little, unknown (somewhat local to Indiana) QB IUP didn't want back in the late 1990s? Does Randy McKavish ring a bell? He was pretty good at SRU and beat IUP a couple times.

Point being there are good players out there in these small leagues. They can be hard to find but they do exist.

One of the knocks on Duane Brown was he was dominating at little Apollo-Ridge (with teammate and current Pitt WR Tre Tipton).
                      There are definitely D2 caliber players in the Heritage. Not many that would be stars, but some program kids for sure.

Comment

• I can see football being decimated at the A and AA levels. Smaller districts don't have the students to field teams nor do they have the resources to maintain 21st century facilities. Field turf costs $700k and needs to be replaced every 10 years. Lights are roughly $500k if the entire system needs to be replaced. Even a simple scoreboard is $25-50k. And that's before annual equipment needs, travel costs, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          I can see football being decimated at the A and AA levels. Smaller districts don't have the students to field teams nor do they have the resources to maintain 21st century facilities. Field turf costs $700k and needs to be replaced every 10 years. Lights are roughly $500k if the entire system needs to be replaced. Even a simple scoreboard is $25-50k. And that's before annual equipment needs, travel costs, etc.

The rosters sizes are amazing -- even at bigger schools. It's a Fort Nite World now.

I look at this state of high school football and can't help but think these kids have such a great opportunity. I played at a 'Quad A' school (when Quad A was the biggest classification). My junior and senior years we dressed between 70 to 78 players on Friday night (zero freshmen). There was a lot of internal competition just to be one of the 11 on the field. Varsity basketball tryouts would have 50 kids out for the team. Last year my high school didn't cut anybody in varsity basketball. Amazing. Same with baseball. No cuts. Barely enough to fill out the complete roster. And, this is a big school.

This was only 20-some years ago, too. For kids who want to play nowadays ... it must be awesome. Varsity games starting in 9th grade. Three sports a year. Maybe sports will cycle back and become cool again. But, this is a strange time.

Comment

The rosters sizes are amazing -- even at bigger schools. It's a Fort Nite World now.

I look at this state of high school football and can't help but think these kids have such a great opportunity. I played at a 'Quad A' school (when Quad A was the biggest classification). My junior and senior years we dressed between 70 to 78 players on Friday night (zero freshmen). There was a lot of internal competition just to be one of the 11 on the field. Varsity basketball tryouts would have 50 kids out for the team. Last year my high school didn't cut anybody in varsity basketball. Amazing. Same with baseball. No cuts. Barely enough to fill out the complete roster. And, this is a big school.

This was only 20-some years ago, too. For kids who want to play nowadays ... it must be awesome. Varsity games starting in 9th grade. Three sports a year. Maybe sports will cycle back and become cool again. But, this is a strange time.
                            "It's a strange time," is right. No doubt some of the smaller schools are struggling, but some aren't. Look at tiny Saltsburg for example. They have a roster of 30 kids, and their program is on the rise despite being one of the smallest "A" schools that have football. Blairsville had to send their junior high kids to play there this year due to lack of participation. They could easily win seven games this year. They're legit good.

On the other hand you have the United situation, which is a much bigger school than Saltsburg. Interestingly, United has a soccer team!? That was a shocker to me. It's nice to have a lot of opportunities but there's a breaking point. I wonder if parents know that there are more concussions in soccer than American football? The football participation issue isn't an easy one to figure out, and it seems to be regional.

The five fastest growing high school sports over the last five years according to the National Federation of High Schools:

1. Archery
                            2. Competitive Spirit (?)
                            3. Rugby
                            4. Flag Football
                            5. Lacrosse

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                              I wonder if parents know that there are more concussions in soccer than American football?
                              Gonna need some citation about that. The studies that I saw from a quick Google search (here, here, and here) indicate that girls' soccer is comparable to football, but boys' soccer is quite a bit lower. Regardless, there is much less evidence of long-term brain impacts in soccer, and the popularity of both domestic and international soccer is growing in the US, so it shouldn't be a big surprise that soccer numbers are growing.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

"It's a strange time," is right. No doubt some of the smaller schools are struggling, but some aren't. Look at tiny Saltsburg for example. They have a roster of 30 kids, and their program is on the rise despite being one of the smallest "A" schools that have football. Blairsville had to send their junior high kids to play there this year due to lack of participation. They could easily win seven games this year. They're legit good.

On the other hand you have the United situation, which is a much bigger school than Saltsburg. Interestingly, United has a soccer team!? That was a shocker to me. It's nice to have a lot of opportunities but there's a breaking point. I wonder if parents know that there are more concussions in soccer than American football? The football participation issue isn't an easy one to figure out, and it seems to be regional.

The five fastest growing high school sports over the last five years according to the National Federation of High Schools:

1. Archery
                                2. Competitive Spirit (?)
                                3. Rugby
                                4. Flag Football
                                5. Lacrosse

Competitive Spirit is no joke. Those girls are big-time athletes. The teams also have male members who look like linebackers.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X