Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    You could have wrote a book on that team last season.

Never saw a team change so much so quickly. The team that won at Ashland last year ... the same group 6 weeks later ... unbelievable change.
    And just think, they were actually a couple of plays away from being in the PSAC Championship Game.

Comment

I think that the very interesting thing about the Maxwell transfer is that IUP is going down a road with him that they almost never have done in program history. I can go back close to 40 years with my knowledge/experience with IUP football and I can tell you that it is very rare that they take on a "one and done" transfer as their starting QB. The only one that I can recall is former Notre Dame signal caller Paul Failla back in 1998. And even then----Failla was brought aboard in January with the start of the Spring semester. I assume that he had the luxury of going through spring drills to get himself acclimated to the offense as well as his teammates. Maxwell is coming in August and will have quite a learning curve as he must be on an accelerated crash course to learn the new system and be on the same page with his offensive running mates.

It is a tall task and quite frankly a path that IUP has not gone down before. It should be very interesting to see. The scrimmages in August should be must-see events.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        I think that the very interesting thing about the Maxwell transfer is that IUP is going down a road with him that they almost never have done in program history. I can go back close to 40 years with my knowledge/experience with IUP football and I can tell you that it is very rare that they take on a "one and done" transfer as their starting QB. The only one that I can recall is former Notre Dame signal caller Paul Failla back in 1998. And even then----Failla was brought aboard in January with the start of the Spring semester. I assume that he had the luxury of going through spring drills to get himself acclimated to the offense as well as his teammates. Maxwell is coming in August and will have quite a learning curve as he must be on an accelerated crash course to learn the new system and be on the same page with his offensive running mates.

It is a tall task and quite frankly a path that IUP has not gone down before. It should be very interesting to see. The scrimmages in August should be must-see events.

-
        He'll likely spend the whole summer on campus. A high percentage of football and basketball players stay.

They get a lot of work in and it's also the GPA season ... summer classes are as easy as it gets.

Buy, you're right ... very few one-and-dones.

Remember, too, Faila was coming off several years in minor league baseball (away from football).

Comment

I think that the very interesting thing about the Maxwell transfer is that IUP is going down a road with him that they almost never have done in program history. I can go back close to 40 years with my knowledge/experience with IUP football and I can tell you that it is very rare that they take on a "one and done" transfer as their starting QB. The only one that I can recall is former Notre Dame signal caller Paul Failla back in 1998. -
          It's not rare just at IUP.
          Off the top of my head, in the past 22 years since I've been around the PSAC, the only one-year QB transfer I can think of besides Failla is Cody Endres, at Slippery Rock. There may be others, but not many. I wouldn't count SRU's Tanner Garry even though he started just one season (2017) because he took a redshirt in 2016 while enrolled at SRU after transferring from Youngstown State.
          Last edited by Matt Burglund; 06-07-2019, 07:54 AM.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

If this team goes 7-4 ... Tort gonna be on a hot seat.

Maybe not a legit hot seat, but this board will be bonkers.
            The IUP Angry Mob will be back in force if 7-4 happens. As of now the Angry Mob is being patient by taking a "wait and see" attitude. Having said that, funding has been attained to refurbish the Tool Shed and buy all new implements of destruction - just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
              It's not just rare at IUP.
              Off the top of my head, in the past 22 years since I've been around the PSAC, the only one-year QB transfer I can think of besides Failla is Cody Endres, at Slippery Rock. There may be others, but not many. I wouldn't count SRU's Tanner Garry even though he started just one season (2017) because he took a redshirt in 2016 while enrolled at SRU after transferring from Youngstown State.
              There have been a few others, but not very successful Woulard at Clarion, and Don King III at SRU. It seems its SRU that used the one season QB to the best effect, probably Enders being the THe best case, and Woulard being the worst. There are probably a few in the east - ESU comes to mind, but can't remember. Most are not that successful.

Comment

Schedule breakdown:

New Haven - Fairly tough opener

(at) Millersville - The 'Ville looked like a high school team in Indiana last year.

Lock Haven - Final dress rehearsal

(at) Mercyhurst - Part 1 of a grueling three weeks ... not an easy road trip.

California - The Angry Mob that Monk loves may hunt down Homer ... Hawks have to be 4-0 entering this game. IUP oddly came out flat as sin on Homecoming a year ago.

(at) SRU - IUP's won two of past three meetings ... Homecoming at SRU ... lot of drunk gym teachers ... tough atmosphere.

(at) Clarion - The Golden Eagles always play IUP tough after the Hawks come off Cal/SRU

Gannon - Team LIT AF's first return to Indiana since the 2017 brawl. Beef up security.

(at) Seton Hill - De facto IUP home game

Edinboro - Usually a tussle of sorts but a game IUP will handle

(at) Shippensburg (or State Game) - The Red-Raiders 'witch-slapped' an IUP team last November -- that put up the worst effort of any IUP team I've ever seen. Hopefully they remember that day.

The two 'trap' games are the Week 4 trip to Mercyhurst and then the trip to Clarion. They can't look past the Lakers even though everybody knows what's coming the following two weeks. Obviously after a brutal three-week stretch you just hope the team is healthy heading up to Clarion.

11-0 - doubtful
                10-1 - possible
                9-2 - perhaps likely
                8-3 - would be disappointing
                7-4 - disaster

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                  There have been a few others, but not very successful Woulard at Clarion, and Don King III at SRU. It seems its SRU that used the one season QB to the best effect, probably Enders being the THe best case, and Woulard being the worst. There are probably a few in the east - ESU comes to mind, but can't remember. Most are not that successful.
                  Woulard came to Clarion as a junior, so he was a one-year guy in the sense that he was only there one (incomplete) season, but he wasn't brought in to be a one-and-done kind of guy, a la Failla, Endres and now Maxwell.
                  Nice call on King III. I had forgotten about him.

East schools don't typically take a lot of DI transfers. West Chester took A.J. Long from Syracuse, but he was there a couple of years. ESU did have a guy from Temple, Tim DiGiorgio, but he came there as a junior.
                  http://www.indianagazette.com
                  www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                    Woulard came to Clarion as a junior, so he was a one-year guy in the sense that he was only there one (incomplete) season, but he wasn't brought in to be a one-and-done kind of guy, a la Failla, Endres and now Maxwell.
                    Nice call on King III. I had forgotten about him.

East schools don't typically take a lot of DI transfers. West Chester took A.J. Long from Syracuse, but he was there a couple of years. ESU did have a guy from Temple, Tim DiGiorgio, but he came there as a junior.

King III caused quite a stir at SRU. He was one of Lutz's first big recruits. They gave him a full ride to get him to SRU ... something that was somewhat rare under Dr. Evil (who tended to spread the money around).

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                      The most successful one-year QB probably was the ROCK's Dante Nania. Endes transferred from Connecticut to THE ROCK and is the first I can recall; which was kinda of the start of the offense they are running now, thanks to then OC Phil Longo, who is now the OC at North Carolina and was previously the OC at Ole Miss.

Comment

Schedule breakdown:

New Haven - Fairly tough opener

(at) Millersville - The 'Ville looked like a high school team in Indiana last year.

Lock Haven - Final dress rehearsal

(at) Mercyhurst - Part 1 of a grueling three weeks ... not an easy road trip.

California - The Angry Mob that Monk loves may hunt down Homer ... Hawks have to be 4-0 entering this game. IUP oddly came out flat as sin on Homecoming a year ago.

(at) SRU - IUP's won two of past three meetings ... Homecoming at SRU ... lot of drunk gym teachers ... tough atmosphere.

(at) Clarion - The Golden Eagles always play IUP tough after the Hawks come off Cal/SRU

Gannon - Team LIT AF's first return to Indiana since the 2017 brawl. Beef up security.

(at) Seton Hill - De facto IUP home game

Edinboro - Usually a tussle of sorts but a game IUP will handle

(at) Shippensburg (or State Game) - The Red-Raiders 'witch-slapped' an IUP team last November -- that put up the worst effort of any IUP team I've ever seen. Hopefully they remember that day.

The two 'trap' games are the Week 4 trip to Mercyhurst and then the trip to Clarion. They can't look past the Lakers even though everybody knows what's coming the following two weeks. Obviously after a brutal three-week stretch you just hope the team is healthy heading up to Clarion.

11-0 - doubtful
                        10-1 - possible
                        9-2 - perhaps likely
                        8-3 - would be disappointing
                        7-4 - disaster
                        New Haven should not be that difficult they had a ton of Seniors last year, and their best Defensive player now plays for IUP.

might change 8-3 - perhaps likely- based on their road schedule

Comment

IUP kickoff times finalized

https://iupathletics.com/news/2019/6...finalized.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                            The IUP Angry Mob will be back in force if 7-4 happens. As of now the Angry Mob is being patient by taking a "wait and see" attitude. Having said that, funding has been attained to refurbish the Tool Shed and buy all new implements of destruction - just in case.
                            Yeah, the IUP Angry Mob can be compared to the Viet Cong in the manner in which they blend into the countryside. They are out there. Some are shopkeepers. Some are students. Some are bankers. Some are just everyday folks. But make no mistake, they are out there and they have the ability to materialize in a matter of minutes. They are everywhere and nowhere all at once.

I was just trying to recall some of the names of fellow Angry Mobers. I remember there was that one lady a few years back who seemed like she was at the end of her rope with things. I think her name was Manette or something like that. :laugh:

-

Comment

Yeah, the IUP Angry Mob can be compared to the Viet Cong in the manner in which they blend into the countryside. They are out there. Some are shopkeepers. Some are students. Some are bankers. Some are just everyday folks. But make no mistake, they are out there and they have the ability to materialize in a matter of minutes. They are everywhere and nowhere all at once.

I was just trying to recall some of the names of fellow Angry Mobers. I remember there was that one lady a few years back who seemed like she was at the end of her rope with things. I think her name was Manette or something like that. :laugh:

-
                              "Every day we were looking for some guy named Charlie ... we never did find him."

-- Forest Gump

Comment

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post
                                New Haven should not be that difficult they had a ton of Seniors last year, and their best Defensive player now plays for IUP.

might change 8-3 - perhaps likely- based on their road schedule
                                I am guessing you are referring to the player from LIU - Post (Nazir Streater), or you actually referring to a player from New Haven? If so I am wondering who could that be.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X