Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Any other noteworthy characteristics of those games? I doubt any were playoff games.
    6 of the 10 games were homecoming

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
      6 of the 10 games were homecoming

Which was the only game in 1985, 1986 and 1987 when Miller had SRO crowds.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
        Or maybe students should start giving a damn and not need to be pandered and pampered for everything.

The students seems just as guilty in not adapting.

Attendance is down across college football. All levels. Even the big boys.

But somehow Slippery Rock makes going to games as a student part of the fabric and culture of going to school there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          Attendance is down across college football. All levels. Even the big boys.

But somehow Slippery Rock makes going to games as a student part of the fabric and culture of going to school there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their students have control chips embedded per Dr. Evils orders. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            The St. Aug's game had nowhere near that number. Yet, the Thursday night Ashland game was the largest I can recall yet didn't make the list.
            The Saint Augustine 2014 home opener featured the U.S. Army Black Knights parachute team dropping in just prior to kickoff. That certainly brought a fair amount of people out. It was really cool to see. They need to incorporate more gimmicks like this to entice people there.

I agree that the 2017 Ashland home opener had to have a pretty hefty attendance. Maybe it was like those basketball games were you have a lot of people getting in for free---but the only difference was they did not show up on the official attendance tally.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
              The Saint Augustine 2014 home opener featured the U.S. Army Black Knights parachute team dropping in just prior to kickoff. That certainly brought a fair amount of people out. It was really cool to see. They need to incorporate more gimmicks like this to entice people there.

I agree that the 2017 Ashland home opener had to have a pretty hefty attendance. Maybe it was like those basketball games were you have a lot of people getting in for free---but the only difference was they did not show up on the official attendance tally.

-
              You mean like when all the regulars pay and all the once-a-year types get in free? Yeah, that's IUP basketball.

Comment

The way IUP handles attendance for football and men's/women's basketball is done by taking the exact number of tickets scanned at the entrances. For soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, volleyball, etc., it's literally someone counting by hand how many are in the stands. Other schools inflate their football and basketball numbers. I do know IUP takes whatever comes straight from the scanners.

I had this thought earlier today. Sure, IUP football has white outs every now and again. Would a gimmick like the Silent Night be something to try. Obviously not saying it needs to be the Silent Night, but people showed up for that event because it was...an event. IUP football games are not events.

Comment

• IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                  The way IUP handles attendance for football and men's/women's basketball is done by taking the exact number of tickets scanned at the entrances. For soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, volleyball, etc., it's literally someone counting by hand how many are in the stands. Other schools inflate their football and basketball numbers. I do know IUP takes whatever comes straight from the scanners.

I had this thought earlier today. Sure, IUP football has white outs every now and again. Would a gimmick like the Silent Night be something to try. Obviously not saying it needs to be the Silent Night, but people showed up for that event because it was...an event. IUP football games are not events.
                  Last edited by IUP24; 06-10-2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Ahh...the Hawk's Nest. I still wear my Turn Up or Transfer shirt. Part of the allure of going to a Penn State game is the fact you can get tailgate, play some lawn games and drink some brews with friends in a cow pasture before going into the game. The game isn't the best part of the day if it's a 1 p.m. kickoff against Buffalo. But 107K still show up. For students, a noon kickoff is competing with so many other things like 1.) waking up, 2.) eating at Folger and 3.) day drinking.

Joe Lombardi is obsessed with trying to get students out to games. He hated the Silent Night because he said he thought it made his players rush and try so hard to get that 10th point. Other than that, I'm sure he loved it. 3,000 people showed up that night. For basketball, the men's team always has a billboard with its players on it. Banners on Philadelphia Street and hanging around campus. Fliers. The women's team even had its players' faces on some of the campus buses a few years back. Does the football office market like this? The IUP men's team always inflates the attendance a few games a year by hosting all of Greek life and/or the ROTC. I don't remember football games being mandatory for Greek life. The goal should be butts in seats. Which means going after the students is a smarter goal because of its untapped potential. Sure, the older alumni are the ones who donate and support the program no matter what. But what are you doing to create new alumni donors?

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post

Football hasn't been using the scanners. I assume they go by ticket sales, or someone with a device at the main entrance. I'm convinced they are not counting most students the last 2 years. Students get in free so alot just walk in an no one says anything. Then like Big indians says, people come in late from the lots, not using the main entrances, and no one says anything - some have tickets some don't - go sit in the reserved sections, and note the number of people without tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                        Football hasn't been using the scanners. I assume they go by ticket sales, or someone with a device at the main entrance. I'm convinced they are not counting most students the last 2 years. Students get in free so alot just walk in an no one says anything. Then like Big indians says, people come in late from the lots, not using the main entrances, and no one says anything - some have tickets some don't - go sit in the reserved sections, and note the number of people without tickets.
                        I have no idea how they do it now, but when I was on campus, to get into a football or basketball game you had to have a valid iCard and they swiped it. I graduated in 2015. I was on campus for the 11-14 football seasons. I was never able to just "walk in" at the main gate as a student.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                          I have no idea how they do it now, but when I was on campus, to get into a football or basketball game you had to have a valid iCard and they swiped it. I graduated in 2015. I was on campus for the 11-14 football seasons. I was never able to just "walk in" at the main gate as a student.
                          Thats what you are still supposed to do, there's a table or a specific student window at the gate, students get their ID swiped, and get a GA ticket. At BB games, they stop you and scan the ticket - this gets the count. In football games, they have not been using the handheld scanners, and not really been checking student tickets. I suppose the idea is that getting more people in to see the game is more important, maybe so, but the last two years, the counts seem lower than the previous years but the crowds at the game don't seem any different. Maybe its was the temporary bleachers, or some other thing, but alot of people I've talked to had the same impression.

I think you said you were at the UWF game, what do you think about 2509. Keep in mind if section B, C and D are filled that's about 2400, I think it was way more than that.

Comment

Thats what you are still supposed to do, there's a table or a specific student window at the gate, students get their ID swiped, and get a GA ticket. At BB games, they stop you and scan the ticket - this gets the count. In football games, they have not been using the handheld scanners, and not really been checking student tickets. I suppose the idea is that getting more people in to see the game is more important, maybe so, but the last two years, the counts seem lower than the previous years but the crowds at the game don't seem any different. Maybe its was the temporary bleachers, or some other thing, but alot of people I've talked to had the same impression.

I think you said you were at the UWF game, what do you think about 2509. Keep in mind if section B, C and D are filled that's about 2400, I think it was way more than that.
                            Yes, I have to remove said freeloaders from my seats every game.

Comment

I can tell you only because I've noticed it, Edinboro has a student worker at each of the two main gates with a "pitch count" clicker.

Comment

The Assumption game the week prior had more than West Florida, but I agree the 2,509 was low.

Close the freeloader gates by Zink and by the restrooms under the home bleachers, and force all entrance in to the main gate. You'll make more money and get a better number.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X