Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Any other noteworthy characteristics of those games? I doubt any were playoff games.
    The 2012 Ship game was the PSAC championship. The Bloom night game was on ESPN, -- If TV would cover the games it would make the students interested. A few others were homecoming games.

Also, some of the 2017 stats I can't believe are correct. 2509 for the west Fla game - no way.

Comment

Any other noteworthy characteristics of those games? I doubt any were playoff games.
      The Shippensburg game in 2012 was the PSAC championship game. Other than that, it's hard to say. SRU usually brings a decent number of fans to games at IUP, so that could contribute to those totals.
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
        Also, some of the 2017 stats I can't believe are correct. 2509 for the west Fla game - no way.
        Yeah, that number seems low. But you have to remember there was practically zero student turnout since the NCAA doesn't allow them in for free like they do in the regular season. I think the IUP Co-op bought tickets for students, but not many came out, IIRC.
        http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

The St. Aug's game had nowhere near that number. Yet, the Thursday night Ashland game was the largest I can recall yet didn't make the list.

Comment

Playoff games are always/usually the most accurately counted games of the year since the NCAA is involved and the gate determines some financial stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
              Playoff games are always/usually the most accurately counted games of the year since the NCAA is involved and the gate determines some financial stuff.
              Add to it IUP has about 8 entrances to the stadium .... with tickets being checked at just one of them. A huge number of people don't pay to get inside.

Comment

Comment

Agreed. First game of the year should be a Thursday night at every one of our schools. Every one of them except maybe West Chester is a ghost town by close of business on Friday. The weather is still nice. Make it accessible to the students who pay the freight for the program. Much less likely to be going up against a must see FBS game on a Thursday in September than a Saturday.

Any other week it doesn't really matter.

Comment

I agree with this. The early games could easily be at night. Sure november games at noon make alot of sense, By then, interest is either up because the teams winning, or gone if they are losing. They really should focus on that first home game more, since that's when you get people interested, students are not quite as jaded, people are still excited for football in general, a thursday night game, avoiding competition with Pitt and PSU, does good, take advantage of it.

Comment

I agree with this. The early games could easily be at night. Sure november games at noon make alot of sense, By then, interest is either up because the teams winning, or gone if they are losing. They really should focus on that first home game more, since that's when you get people interested, students are not quite as jaded, people are still excited for football in general, a thursday night game, avoiding competition with Pitt and PSU, does good, take advantage of it.
                      This is exactly how IUP scheduled last year. The first game was a 6:30 Thursday night start. The next was 4pm, then a 7pm. Then they went to a 2pm and the last games were at noon. I do agree that 12pm is too early for a lot of people, myself included. However, if you start at 2pm (ideal time IMO) then by the 4th quarter late in the season it is getting dark and you might have OT so you might have to turn on the lights for a half hour. That's what major college games do at that time of day,

Comment

Agreed. First game of the year should be a Thursday night at every one of our schools. Every one of them except maybe West Chester is a ghost town by close of business on Friday. The weather is still nice. Make it accessible to the students who pay the freight for the program. Much less likely to be going up against a must see FBS game on a Thursday in September than a Saturday.

IUP isn't a suitcase school. It bumps on weekends ... just not at sporting events.

Comment

Agreed. First game of the year should be a Thursday night at every one of our schools.
                          For the IUP-New Haven opener I would think travel on the UNH side of things is the primary factor. The game is scheduled for 1pm. I doubt UNH wants to play at 6/7pm and then travel on Sunday. So, there are other factors involved.

Comment

• Or maybe students should start giving a damn and not need to be pandered and pampered for everything.

The students seems just as guilty in not adapting.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                              To be a fan, you have to care who wins. If you don't care who wins, whats the point of going to the game ? to hear the band ?(though band parents sometimes make up like 25% of the crowd) ? The difference is that the 50+ crowd cares that IUP is successful, and sees their friends at the game, its part of their identity. The 35 - 50 crowd for the most part do not care who wins, and going to IUP games does not impress your friends. There's been alot done to try and entertain kids, but the slow pace of the game is boring for them.

Comment

• Last edited by IUPNation; 06-10-2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X