Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I'm reading that the reason Southern Columbia is getting around this whole transfer thing is because they have some "vocational school" distinction. If that's the case, that's hilarious.
    I have it that the schools have a deadline to provide documentation to the PIAA that each new name on the football roster was always a student in the district, and not a transfer student. The PIAA looks at the football roster from the prior year and compares it to the present year. If there are 3 transfers with competition points, the school moves up. The PIAA generally feels Southern Columbia should move up voluntarily.

The Columbia Montour Vocational Technical School serves 7 school districts with less than 700 students and a AAA football team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

I have it that the schools have a deadline to provide documentation to the PIAA that each new name on the football roster was always a student in the district, and not a transfer student. The PIAA looks at the football roster from the prior year and compares it to the present year. If there are 3 transfers with competition points, the school moves up. The PIAA generally feels Southern Columbia should move up voluntarily.

The Columbia Montour Vocational Technical School serves 7 school districts with less than 700 students and a AAA football team.
      I think winning earns you the more powerful microscope. If Aliquippa was making the WPIAL playoffs but not doing much beyond they clearly wouldn’t be looked at so closely. This is why the Southern Columbia situation is so baffling. I heard different things about why they’re left alone but I’m not going to pass along hearsay.

I coached at a Heritage Conference school for a while until a couple years ago. We had a kid that moved into the district at the start of the school year that based on the rules, wasn’t eligible for playoff competition. We appealed it and didn’t even have to put up an argument. They simply said, “Sure, no problem. Timmy can play.” I’m going to guess if we were a powerhouse program or if the kid was a stud athlete it wouldn’t have been the same conversation. It just feels like the rules aren’t the same for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think winning earns you the more powerful microscope. If Aliquippa was making the WPIAL playoffs but not doing much beyond they clearly wouldn’t be looked at so closely. This is why the Southern Columbia situation is so baffling. I heard different things about why they’re left alone but I’m not going to pass along hearsay.

I coached at a Heritage Conference school for a while until a couple years ago. We had a kid that moved into the district at the start of the school year that based on the rules, wasn’t eligible for playoff competition. We appealed it and didn’t even have to put up an argument. They simply said, “Sure, no problem. Timmy can play.” I’m going to guess if we were a powerhouse program or if the kid was a stud athlete it wouldn’t have been the same conversation. It just feels like the rules aren’t the same for everyone.
        Which is why, admittedly, I don’t understand the position that some on this message board have pertaining to these situations. I’m not sure how the same people who defend St. Joe’s can also say that we should look a little closer at Aliquippa, because maybe they are taking advantage of their situation. All the while, others just ignore whatever is happening with Southern Columbia.

Why is Belle Vernon moving up for winning back to back state championships with no transfers, but Southern Columbia isn’t when they’ve won seven in a row? I’m just not sure how they are applying the rules. And even if it was consistent, I’m not sure any of it makes sense.

Comment

The rules would seem to be confusing and perhaps unequally applied. There appears to be a lack of leadership at both the conference and PIAA levels. There need to be clear rules about what constitutes eligibility, what effects recruiting and transfers have on classification, etc. There are always those who will test the boundaries, and it's easier when there is no clear boundary.

Comment

Which is why, admittedly, I don’t understand the position that some on this message board have pertaining to these situations. I’m not sure how the same people who defend St. Joe’s can also say that we should look a little closer at Aliquippa, because maybe they are taking advantage of their situation. All the while, others just ignore whatever is happening with Southern Columbia.

Why is Belle Vernon moving up for winning back to back state championships with no transfers, but Southern Columbia isn’t when they’ve won seven in a row? I’m just not sure how they are applying the rules. And even if it was consistent, I’m not sure any of it makes sense.
            Aliquippa will be in 6A by 2025 with an 18-man roster ... and probably still winning games.

It's basically like moving the PSAC champion up to the SEC for the following season.

1A to 5A is a joke.

It's a massive competitive disadvantage to play schools with 4 and 5 times their enrollment.

I know the argument is they just steamrolled 4A and won the PIAA gold. But, when is enough, enough?

The problem is the Quips are making a mockery of the WPIAL.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Aliquippa will be in 6A by 2025 with an 18-man roster ... and probably still winning games.

It's basically like moving the PSAC champion up to the SEC for the following season.

1A to 5A is a joke.

It's a massive competitive disadvantage to play schools with 4 and 5 times their enrollment.

I know the argument is they just steamrolled 4A and won the PIAA gold. But, when is enough, enough?

It was amazing the way they manhandled Dallas, a team that had knocked off two strong Catholic programs to reach the final.

Comment

I'm reading that the reason Southern Columbia is getting around this whole transfer thing is because they have some "vocational school" distinction. If that's the case, that's hilarious.
                When I was in high school our baseball team (a school on the A/AA line that wasn’t exactly a powerhouse) picked up a talented guy from a neighboring district. The nominal reason was that he was transferring for the FFA/ag program but the behind the scenes reason is the coach at his old school wouldn’t let him play the infield on days when he wasn’t pitching. Which was pretty stupid since he was an all-league IF for us twice on top of being a decent #2 pitcher for PA HS ball and helped our school make its first state playoff appearance in roughly a decade. I don’t think the PIAA or our league really looked into things too much because of the “ag program” explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

1A to 5A is a joke.

The lazy game plan will be to decimate their roster. Dirty and vile but you know it's on someone's mind. Happens all the time to the low end of single A teams. The one QB on the team goes down in week 7 and the season is effectively over. When you have hundreds of boys in each grade, there's always the off chance some unknown kid can get a physical and fill a spot.

Comment

• Interesting Pitt weekend.

1) Yesterday, Pat Narduzzi overhauled his offensive staff. Long time assistants Tim Salem (TEs), Dave Borborly (OL), and Andre Powell (RBs/Special Teams) were all let go. Salem was somewhat surprising, as he's been one of Narduzzi's top recruiters and has been the one to land many of the best Pitt players in the Narduzzi era. This likely signals that they are going in an entirely different direction offensively and Kade Bell will be hiring his own staff. That's nice to see and was needed.

2) Alabama quarterback Eli Holstein entered the transfer portal last week and took an official visit to Pitt this weekend. He announced his commitment to Pat Narduzzi today. Former 4-star QB who Alabama reportedly tried pretty hard to keep. Not sure the story of why he chose to leave Alabama, but I do know that he has a relationship with new Pitt OC Kade Bell. He redshirted this year as a true freshman and will have 4 years of eligibility.

Comment

Interesting Pitt weekend.

1) Yesterday, Pat Narduzzi overhauled his offensive staff. Long time assistants Tim Salem (TEs), Dave Borborly (OL), and Andre Powell (RBs/Special Teams) were all let go. Salem was somewhat surprising, as he's been one of Narduzzi's top recruiters and has been the one to land many of the best Pitt players in the Narduzzi era. This likely signals that they are going in an entirely different direction offensively and Kade Bell will be hiring his own staff. That's nice to see and was needed.

2) Alabama quarterback Eli Holstein entered the transfer portal last week and took an official visit to Pitt this weekend. He announced his commitment to Pat Narduzzi today. Former 4-star QB who Alabama reportedly tried pretty hard to keep. Not sure the story of why he chose to leave Alabama, but I do know that he has a relationship with new Pitt OC Kade Bell. He redshirted this year as a true freshman and will have 4 years of eligibility.
                      Just a guess, but with the transfer portal in full swing I think you're going to see more of these former four- and even five-star players tire of sitting on the bench at programs such as Alabama and Ohio State and decide to go somewhere else, especially in their last year of eligibility. Fleming to Penn State might be one example. With the 12-team playoff on the horizon, qualifying for the playoffs and getting a look on the national scene won't necessarily require that you go to one of a half-dozen perennial playoff teams any more. If this evens out the balance in the playoffs a little bit, it might not be a completely bad thing.

Comment

Four years of eligibility is good if he sticks around and works out. I like that better than a one or two year kid. I assume he’s the starter the second he arrives on campus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Just a guess, but with the transfer portal in full swing I think you're going to see more of these former four- and even five-star players tire of sitting on the bench at programs such as Alabama and Ohio State and decide to go somewhere else, especially in their last year of eligibility. Fleming to Penn State might be one example. With the 12-team playoff on the horizon, qualifying for the playoffs and getting a look on the national scene won't necessarily require that you go to one of a half-dozen perennial playoff teams any more. If this evens out the balance in the playoffs a little bit, it might not be a completely bad thing.
                          It seems like there's a ton of guys in the portal, but the quality of what you are seeing is significantly different than it was two years ago, and lesser than it was last year. Those who actually follow it and see the full context are able to recognize that the amount of uber talented individuals moving every which way is organically phasing out, as I said it would on this thread previously, as well as on the basketball threads when the topic came up. The kid who just transferred to Pitt can't transfer again (he can in 3 years after he graduates, I suppose). You're seeing less and less of the guys who are high-level college players with clear NFL futures in the portal. Depth guys to round out your roster, sure. But a sure-fire 1st round pick, not so much.

This is the final year of the extra COVID year of eligibility. And with each passing season, you're seeing fewer and fewer individuals taking advantage because their college careers weren't impacted in 2020 when they were a true freshman and wouldn't have played anyways. The one-time free transfer rule exists still, but for 80% of college athletes on rosters now, that's the only transfer they get unless they graduated.

So players who assumed they could go to Akron for a year or two and get some serious burn. Only to parlay that into an NIL deal for another year, to only then transfer again and use an extra year of eligibility to the highest bidder that became their third school... Yeah, they can't do that anymore. This is all starting to stabilize and regulate to a new normal of college sports that just simply allows for players to transfer one time without penalty. But without the extra year of COVID eligibility, it is very critical for these individuals to get it right when they pick a school out of high school or when they use that free transfer.

Comment

• Who do y’all have tonight? It’s the final college football game of the year, believe it or not. It seems like it was just yesterday we were watching Week 0 games in sweltering heat.

I like Washington in a close and exciting game. Michigan’s defense is legit, but this is the best offense they’ve seen all year. The real question is whether or not Washington can stop Michigan’s running game. If they can keep that in check, I think they win a 27-24 type game with maybe a walk-off field goal. If Michigan gets close to 200 yards on the ground, they’ll likely be taking home the trophy.

In case you missed it, South Dakota State is your FCS champion again. I wonder if Karst Hunter wishes he would have stayed?

Comment

Sounds like Holstein would have been No. 4 heading in to next year - and Alabama has a stud 2025 already verbally committed. Seems a good move for him. He can likely play at Pitt very quickly rather than wearing a baseball hat for the next four years.

Comment

Who do y’all have tonight? It’s the final college football game of the year, believe it or not. It seems like it was just yesterday we were watching Week 0 games in sweltering heat.

I like Washington in a close and exciting game. Michigan’s defense is legit, but this is the best offense they’ve seen all year. The real question is whether or not Washington can stop Michigan’s running game. If they can keep that in check, I think they win a 27-24 type game with maybe a walk-off field goal. If Michigan gets close to 200 yards on the ground, they’ll likely be taking home the trophy.

In case you missed it, South Dakota State is your FCS champion again. I wonder if Karst Hunter wishes he would have stayed?
                                I’m just excited/shocked that they’re kicking off at 7:30 and I might actually make it to the end. Should be a heck of a game though. I’m thinking Michigan finally breaks down the door after knocking these last couple years in a tight one, their defense comes up with a late stop in a fairly high scoring game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X