Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I wouldn't necessarily mind them changing things up. Although, I would argue that the current arrangement of which leagues are represented within SR1 currently makes sense geographically, and fits what the model is at this level where regional affiliation and geographic proximity is acutely important. I'm not sure how you would rearrange SR1 sticking to that model, considering all of the teams there have an eastern midwest, northeast, mid-atlantic identity.

I don't view IUP as a legitimate national championship contender in football and I tamper expectations and realize the ceiling that's there. I think it's fun to run into different teams along the way though. So if there's a way that lets me see other teams playing some of the SR1 schools, I would be intrigued by it.

That's why I said what I said regarding the basketball format. I would prefer see IUP have to play Drury in the Round of 16 for a shot to go to the Elite 8, rather than playing Mercyhurst for a 4th time. I think there are methods in which they could "open" up the seeding within basketball. I get that it can't be seeded 1-64 like I mentioned. But there are too many examples of two teams ranked in the top 10 or 15 playing each other in the 2nd round of the Regional. It's happened numerous times in the Atlantic, but that happens all over the place with that tournament structure. I often tell people who don't understand the D2 format that it's far more difficult to make a tournament run in Division 2 because of the format.

I'm open to new ideas to create interesting matchups in the postseason in all sports.
    The reason I brought up SR2 is that with the addition of new teams since the last regional reorganization is that SR2 would stand at 48 schools by next season (GSC, CIAA, Conference Carolinas, SAC and SIAC) compared to 33 in SR4 (LSC, NSIC, RMAC), 45 in SR1 (GMAC, MEC, NE-10 and PSAC) and 40 in SR3 (GAC, GLVC, GLIAC and MIAA).
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Next time I see Nick Saban complaining about the transfer portal or NIL, I'm going to remember that he just purchased a $17.5 million house in Florida.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
        Next time I see Nick Saban complaining about the transfer portal or NIL, I'm going to remember that he just purchased a $17.5 million house in Florida.
        That sounds like slumming it for his net worth. Did the boosters pay for this one, too?

Comment

• In FCS land former NE-10 member Bryant has just been given acceptance into the CAA Football Conference. If only our schools were bound by the state I could see IUP/Rock having moved up to the FCS level and possibly been given an CAA invite.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
            In FCS land former NE-10 member Bryant has just been given acceptance into the CAA Football Conference. If only our schools were bound by the state I could see IUP/Rock having moved up to the FCS level and possibly been given an CAA invite.
            Do you mean if only the schools WEREN'T bound by the state? Otherwise, I don't get what you mean.

And going FCS is a quantum leap in facilities and money if you're going to compete at a high level.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
              In FCS land former NE-10 member Bryant has just been given acceptance into the CAA Football Conference. If only our schools were bound by the state I could see IUP/Rock having moved up to the FCS level and possibly been given an CAA invite.
              I can tell you that SRU has no interest in moving up. The AD is the former director of DII championships at the NCAA (and a former Ship AD). They want to follow the MIAA model for being a regional public university with DII sports. Plus money. I don't think IUP or Rock have the budget to travel to a backwater FCS conference on the East Coast. Right now roughly 60% of their games are within 2 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I can tell you that SRU has no interest in moving up. The AD is the former director of DII championships at the NCAA (and a former Ship AD). They want to follow the MIAA model for being a regional public university with DII sports. Plus money. I don't think IUP or Rock have the budget to travel to a backwater FCS conference on the East Coast. Right now roughly 60% of their games are within 2 hours.
                Not to mention that FCS maxes out at 63 scholarships. In a conference where I doubt any of the schools are even at the Division II max of 36, that would be quite a jump up.

Comment

Not to mention that FCS maxes out at 63 scholarships. In a conference where I doubt any of the schools are even at the Division II max of 36, that would be quite a jump up.
                  IUP deeply explored the jump under then-President Tony Atwater. It wasn't feasible then. It sure as hell wouldn't be feasible now.

That said, the KCAC is nicer than most mid-major basketball arenas so that is already in place. Miller Stadium, however, is a dump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

There's no point in IUP or SRU jumping up to some bush league D1 conference (even it was viable).

Both are strong 'regional' football programs. IUP has a Top 10 men's basketball program.

Fan interest wouldn't be any better (it could actually be worse as the gate is the largest in both sports when they play each other). Some local yinzer from Clymer or Butler isn't going to care whether IUP or SRU is playing Clarion or Bryant. Makes no difference to the average fan.

IUP basketball already has a big following (by small school standards) and typically outdraws Duquesne - and crushes Bobby Mo and Loretto U.

I've been to a ton of mid-major basketball games and IUP has a nicer arena and better atmosphere than most of them.

If they were ever going to try and go up, the late 90s would have been the window. But, that opportunity is long, long past.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP deeply explored the jump under then-President Tony Atwater. It wasn't feasible then. It sure as hell wouldn't be feasible now.

That said, the KCAC is nicer than most mid-major basketball arenas so that is already in place. Miller Stadium, however, is a dump.
                      I agree.You guys would have a shot in BB, but football would be a step too far for PSAC schools at this point. I've driven by James Madison's stadium on occasion, and that's another world. And as you've said being in a low-rent FCS conference would bring no real advantage to a PSAC school. We'd just be paying more money to not be covered by area media.

Comment

• The Johnny Football show on Netflix is incredible. It's well worth the watch.

I have a whole different view of him now.

Comment

I agree.You guys would have a shot in BB, but football would be a step too far for PSAC schools at this point. I've driven by James Madison's stadium on occasion, and that's another world. And as you've said being in a low-rent FCS conference would bring no real advantage to a PSAC school. We'd just be paying more money to not be covered by area media.
                          Not to mention that you have to move the entire athletic program to D1. You can't do just BB or FB. That costs a lot that IUP can't afford.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Not to mention that you have to move the entire athletic program to D1. You can't do just BB or FB. That costs a lot that IUP can't afford.
                            Yup.

Comment

• After much debate, the ACC is inviting SMU, Cal and Stanford to join the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                After much debate, the ACC is inviting SMU, Cal and Stanford to join the league.
                                Because nothing says Atlantic Coast like two schools on the San Francisco Bay and another one in Dallas.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X