Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Brookville High QB Jack Krug has announced his 'Final 4' ... because apparently that happens in D2 now, too.

Anyway ...

IUP, Cal, Clarion and Saint Francis.

Ship and Mercyhurst eliminated.
    I think it comes down to IUP & Cal, St Francis has 4 QB's already on the roster and 3 are freshmen this year. He is better set up to play sooner at IUP/Cal and still compete for the playoffs as a starter in a year or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I think it comes down to IUP & Cal, St Francis has 4 QB's already on the roster and 3 are freshmen this year. He is better set up to play sooner at IUP/Cal and still compete for the playoffs as a starter in a year or two.
      Sounds like IUP has two live offers out to QBs. Hoping that they can get one of them ... could come down to who says yes first.

Comment

Sounds like IUP has two live offers out to QBs. Hoping that they can get one of them ... could come down to who says yes first.
        It does make you really wonder what the IUP QB situation is. A lot of time has passed and a lot has happened since IUP last played and secured the services of Ramart. Is he even still here? Is Davis still here? How do we really know who is in the fold at this point in time after everything that has transpired?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

It does make you really wonder what the IUP QB situation is. A lot of time has passed and a lot has happened since IUP last played and secured the services of Ramart. Is he even still here? Is Davis still here? How do we really know who is in the fold at this point in time after everything that has transpired?
          Sounds like a good commercial for season 2021 episode 1 of IUP Football - Spring Ball if It Happens. Consult your local listings for times and channels.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
            Sounds like a good commercial for season 2021 episode 1 of IUP Football - Spring Ball if It Happens. Consult your local listings for times and channels.
            Hate to say it but if Covid testing rules are still so stringent ... we won't be playing next Fall, either. Not enough coin down here to test that many people that often.

Comment

Brookville High QB Jack Krug has announced his 'Final 4' ... because apparently that happens in D2 now, too.

Anyway ...

Are you allowed to cross divisions with your Final 4? I thought that got you put on super-secret probation.

Comment

Anyway ...

It's a big deal to these kids playing football in college besides they earned their brief moment in the spot light by being talented enough to receive the offers. I'd much rather in person watch a good D2 game like Shepherd and IUP play than watch my nephew at Pitt because I feel I get more of the game "feel" at D2 being so close to field. Watching Pitt in person is more of the game day atmosphere because we're just not close enough to the field to "feel" the game. I remember sitting at Miller watching Box launch a long one to Barnes just watching, looking up at the ball, arch through the air, land right in Barnes' hands. You all know what I mean. You don't get that at the big stadiums.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Are you allowed to cross divisions with your Final 4? I thought that got you put on super-secret probation.
                  The NEC is essentially the PSAC with a higher scholarship limit. It's good football like we have but with less devoted fan bases. A lot are basketball-centered privates who started football to boost enrollment.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Well, we'll see if Clarion can get its hometown boy to stay. Brookville is only about 20 minutes from campus. I'd assume Clarion (of the D2 schools) could promise to get him on the field first. Aside from not having a winning tradition, however, Cal and IUP will likely offer more of a package. And, if he wants to Tweet he's a D1 QB, then it's all over. But, as mentioned, Saint Francis has 4 QBs on the roster (and 3 are freshman).

I spend a couple hours on opening day of trout every year in Brookville.

I've went to a couple games up there over the years on random Friday nights while at my cabin. It's a pretty neat thing. The towns up there in the mountains really go nuts over their teams.

Comment

Well, we'll see if Clarion can get its hometown boy to stay. Brookville is only about 20 minutes from campus. I'd assume Clarion (of the D2 schools) could promise to get him on the field first. Aside from not having a winning tradition, however, Cal and IUP will likely offer more of a package. And, if he wants to Tweet he's a D1 QB, then it's all over. But, as mentioned, Saint Francis has 4 QBs on the roster (and 3 are freshman).

I spend a couple hours on opening day of trout every year in Brookville.

I've went to a couple games up there over the years on random Friday nights while at my cabin. It's a pretty neat thing. The towns up there in the mountains really go nuts over their teams.
                      Weibel can probably draw the best connection to him too as a fellow local (Kittanning), a Clarion grad, and a QB.

Clarion's challenges are finding more money, keeping Weibel, and keeping the urban & suburban kids comfortable in Clarion (not unique to Clarion). Clarion recruits pretty well. They're always in the running for kids who eventually choose Cal, IUP, and Rock. They have had two guys in the NFL within the last decade. That matters to a lot of kids probably more than PSAC West championships.
                      Last edited by Fightingscot82; 01-29-2021, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Weibel can probably draw the best connection to him too as a fellow local (Kittanning), a Clarion grad, and a QB.

Clarion's challenges are finding more money, keeping Weibel, and keeping the urban & suburban kids comfortable in Clarion (not unique to Clarion). Clarion recruits pretty well. They're always in the running for kids who eventually choose Cal, IUP, and Rock. They have had two guys in the NFL within the last decade. That matters to a lot of kids probably more than PSAC West championships.
                        It's not easy to get ubran kids up there -- and keep them there. Clarion is pretty isolated up in the mountains. It's a nice town and campus, however. I'm a big Weibel fan. In fact, if he had the car keys at IUP, SRU or Cal, he'd be considered one of the top coaches. We've seen his teams year after year put scares in to the big teams. What kills them is always the second half when depth becomes an issue. They almost always have a solid 1-22. If he had the coin of a Tort or Lutz, ... look out. I think our league as a whole has very good coaches. Some just have money. If you turn things around, would Lutz or Tort have their same success at Clarion or Lock Haven? No.

I think high school kids today have at least more awareness of PSAC schools. Social media has done wonders in that regard. They see their older friends playing for our schools, etc. Twenty years ago that wasn't the case. If you didn't read the small blips in the Pittsburgh papers ... you didn't even know they were playing (unless you lived in Indiana or Edinboro, etc.)

Comment

It's not easy to get ubran kids up there -- and keep them there. Clarion is pretty isolated up in the mountains. It's a nice town and campus, however. I'm a big Weibel fan. In fact, if he had the car keys at IUP, SRU or Cal, he'd be considered one of the top coaches. We've seen his teams year after year put scares in to the big teams. What kills them is always the second half when depth becomes an issue. They almost always have a solid 1-22. If he had the coin of a Tort or Lutz, ... look out. I think our league as a whole has very good coaches. Some just have money. If you turn things around, would Lutz or Tort have their same success at Clarion or Lock Haven? No.

I think high school kids today have at least more awareness of PSAC schools. Social media has done wonders in that regard. They see their older friends playing for our schools, etc. Twenty years ago that wasn't the case. If you didn't read the small blips in the Pittsburgh papers ... you didn't even know they were playing (unless you lived in Indiana or Edinboro, etc.)
                          The Clarion-Edinboro rivalry is special to me because my dad & my uncle (brothers) went to Edinboro & Clarion so I watched a ton of those games in the 80s and 90s, sat through several ALF parades, and Bob's Sub taught me to appreciate mayo. Seeing Weibel as head coach is special. When he's tested the waters elsewhere it makes me uneasy.

Something I've seen on the Twitter machine during recruiting time that is special about the PSAC - you see parents bonding over their kids playing each other. You don't get that when your kid takes the PWO spot at Kent State or takes $5k to say he's D1 at St. Francis. Being close to home for most games and knowing people on the other team is special for players & parents. I wasn't a player, but Brian Eyerman graduated a year ahead of me in high school and our parents knew each other. Freshman seminar class at Edinboro taught me to escalate my disdain for IUP but it was nice to see a nice kid like Brian Eyerman succeed at IUPoop.

Comment

The Clarion-Edinboro rivalry is special to me because my dad & my uncle (brothers) went to Edinboro & Clarion so I watched a ton of those games in the 80s and 90s, sat through several ALF parades, and Bob's Sub taught me to appreciate mayo. Seeing Weibel as head coach is special. When he's tested the waters elsewhere it makes me uneasy.

Something I've seen on the Twitter machine during recruiting time that is special about the PSAC - you see parents bonding over their kids playing each other. You don't get that when your kid takes the PWO spot at Kent State or takes $5k to say he's D1 at St. Francis. Being close to home for most games and knowing people on the other team is special for players & parents. I wasn't a player, but Brian Eyerman graduated a year ahead of me in high school and our parents knew each other. Freshman seminar class at Edinboro taught me to escalate my disdain for IUP but it was nice to see a nice kid like Brian Eyerman succeed at IUPoop.
                            IUP is a loyal and humble fan base. No idea why we get such a bad rap. Lol.

Comment

ALF ... did a few of those. LONG weekends.

Great event.

Comment

Somewhat related to that ... One thing I have never understood in my time around IUP and the PSAC is how involved and dedicated some parents are, and then when their son is done playing, they disappear. I've watched practice from the sideline with some dads, exchanged emails and phone calls with some moms, hell I've had many parents offer me a beer before and/or after the game. These parents live and die with the team. They educate themselves about the league and how D2 works. But then they're gone, and we never see or hear from them again.

Just unusual, but I have always wondered why that is.

IUPMonk, this isn't aimed at you ;)
                                http://www.indianagazette.com
                                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X