Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilal Weidler (DB / Susquehana Twp.) is Twitter Official.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

What IUPbigINDIANS said is correct. I'll also add that PSAC football (and really anything sub FBS) is really seen as irrelevant by most people even the schools' alumni. This is why so much of the PSAC is substandard to the dominant conferences: scholarship dollars, facilities, atmosphere, etc. In PA I'd say that the football hierarchy is:
      1. Steelers
      2. Penn State
      3. Eagles
      4. Pitt
      5. High Schools
      6. Temple
      7. Villanova
      8. All Other FCS through DIII

So parents will support their kids on the team, cheer squad, band, etc. I've noticed that football parents are more likely to travel than band & cheer - and WAY more likely to financially support the team. They play in the golf outings, buy gear, buy season tickets, etc. But then their kid moves on and the parents go back to supporting the local high school or can give more attention to Pitt or Penn State or Ohio State.
      I'd probably rank WVU ahead of Temple (not in PA but a huge PA following).

We have an over-saturation problem for sure. Some of the national-level programs in D2 have no competition for hundreds of miles in any direction. Western PA has too many dang teams -- ranging from D1 to D3 (and of course the Holy Yinzers).

Consider the D3 PAC and the PSAC West ... that's a heck of a lot of teams in a somewhat small region. Add to it Pitt and the 1-AA's ... lot of football schools.

Comment

• WR Connor Chrisman to SRU

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          WR Connor Chrisman to SRU
          Jokes on him they're not having a class this year.

Comment

I'd probably rank WVU ahead of Temple (not in PA but a huge PA following).
            In eastern PA, I'd rank Villanova ahead of Temple. I think I'd rank Widener ahead of Temple.

In fact, the last real Temple football fan was probably Bill Cosby.

Comment

IUP is a loyal and humble fan base. No idea why we get such a bad rap. Lol.
              We are simply the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Somewhat related to that ... One thing I have never understood in my time around IUP and the PSAC is how involved and dedicated some parents are, and then when their son is done playing, they disappear. I've watched practice from the sideline with some dads, exchanged emails and phone calls with some moms, hell I've had many parents offer me a beer before and/or after the game. These parents live and die with the team. They educate themselves about the league and how D2 works. But then they're gone, and we never see or hear from them again.

Just unusual, but I have always wondered why that is.

IUPMonk, this isn't aimed at you ;)
                It was always cute over the last 10-15 years to have parents ask me if I was IUPNation on the boards...I guess my big mouth gave me away at games.

Comment

Sure does. Powerhouse.

Nice gig. They play at Indiana Country Club.

It's the most dominant program in the PSAC this century -- any sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

What IUPbigINDIANS said is correct. I'll also add that PSAC football (and really anything sub FBS) is really seen as irrelevant by most people even the schools' alumni. This is why so much of the PSAC is substandard to the dominant conferences: scholarship dollars, facilities, atmosphere, etc. In PA I'd say that the football hierarchy is:
                    1. Steelers
                    2. Penn State
                    3. Eagles
                    4. Pitt
                    5. High Schools
                    6. Temple
                    7. Villanova
                    8. All Other FCS through DIII

So parents will support their kids on the team, cheer squad, band, etc. I've noticed that football parents are more likely to travel than band & cheer - and WAY more likely to financially support the team. They play in the golf outings, buy gear, buy season tickets, etc. But then their kid moves on and the parents go back to supporting the local high school or can give more attention to Pitt or Penn State or Ohio State.
                    Last edited by IUPNation; 02-01-2021, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                      In eastern PA, I'd rank Villanova ahead of Temple. I think I'd rank Widener ahead of Temple.

In fact, the last real Temple football fan was probably Bill Cosby.

Comment

• Well ... maybe when they start to treat baseball and softball as more than intramural sports we can get that Dixon.

We have the premier men's golf team. National-level men's and women's basketball. Very strong football. The rest have their ups and downs.

Comment

• No way, man. Iggles and their fans can't be ranked number one after the way they pelted Santa with snowballs back in '68. That was just brutal and it's never been forgotten.

And besides it's six Lombardis to one. Stillers rule!

Comment

• The Eagles fan base doesn't reach as far as the Steelers'.. If you go to the middle of the state most of those people follow the Steelers. Go down to York and you find the Baltimore fans. In the northeast a lot of people follow NY sports teams. Actually, the Steelers are a popular franchise nationwide.

Comment

Bilal Weidler (DB / Susquehana Twp.) is Twitter Official.
                              Interesting reading on this young man. He looks really sharp on film. He's a burner for sure. He actually looks like a better WR prospect but it seems he will be a CB at IUP. He could possibly go both ways.

Odd thing is IUP was his only offer.

Comment

• Twitter Official

Aiden Spitler (State College)

Kicker

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X