Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Sure does. Powerhouse.

Nice gig. They play at Indiana Country Club.

It's the most dominant program in the PSAC this century -- any sport.
    How is the Country club course and is it open to the public?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

How is the Country club course and is it open to the public?
      It's a nice course. It has remained private.

The football and basketball outings are there every year. If you ever want to play we could enter a foursome.

Nice facilities.

As most once-private courses are dying and opening to the public, ICC has stayed pretty old school. Not sure how much longer it will last but they appear to be in pretty good shape.

Comment

The football and basketball outings are there every year. If you ever want to play we could enter a foursome.

Nice facilities.

As most once-private courses are dying and opening to the public, ICC has stayed pretty old school. Not sure how much longer it will last but they appear to be in pretty good shape.
        I'd love to play in one of those.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That is all very true, Matt. I actually got to know a number of parents over the years as well in IUP football and hoops. Great people who understandably were very proud of their kids and who supported them and the university extremely well. And then it is like you say----they're outta here! I guess that is just how it works.

The IUPMonk is a bit of a throwback and man for all seasons. He'll be around until Miller Stadium crumbles into dust. Which may be sooner than most of us think.
          I've seen this all the time, too, around Ship baseball. You're around these parents 2-3 years that are just totally all-in on the program. They know the long relievers; they know the coach's tendencies. But as Senior Day rolls around, it's pretty clear you'll be seeing them for the last time.

Comment

Nice facilities.

So what exactly is the deal with the Indiana VFW? Is it gone for good? I heard different things.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

So what exactly is the deal with the Indiana VFW? Is it gone for good? I heard different things.
              Closed and sold.

Private individual bought it. Word is he's going to build a house on the property (and have himself a real big yard).

There are some monster bass in that lake.

Comment

• First sporting event in way too freaking long ...

IUP men's and women's swimming got wins today at Clarion.

And, yes, this may be the first swimming post in board history.

Comment

Closed and sold.

Private individual bought it. Word is he's going to build a house on the property (and have himself a real big yard).

There are some monster bass in that lake.
                  125 acres for $600K sounds like a pretty good deal. The monster bass would be a bonus. Probably can even stock the lake with some breeder trout.

Comment

Do they do some Fall stockings down there or you mainly after the survivors and natives by then?
                    WV stocks the Opequon twice in October with the some real nice breeders. There are a lot of spring hangovers that seem to find there way into the pools all over the Opequon from just above the VA line all the way to the Potomac river just down stream from Shepherdstown.

Comment

• DT Ernest Shockley is leaving the program. Per Twitter he will grad transfer out.

Comment

DT Ernest Shockley is leaving the program. Per Twitter he will grad transfer out.
                        That's too bad. But I guess ultimately you win some and you lose some. Where to?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's too bad. But I guess ultimately you win some and you lose some. Where to?
                          He hasn't announced a destination. Looks like he's just entering the portal to see what comes up. Certainly a depth loss and you hate to lose a grad transfer after investing a couple years in him. Wherever he ends up will be his third school (came to IUP from Bowie State).

But, you never know what brought this on. Perhaps a DL transfer came in and his role would be shrunk. Maybe he hits the portal and decides to stay. We'll see what happens.

Comment

He hasn't announced a destination. Looks like he's just entering the portal to see what comes up. Certainly a depth loss and you hate to lose a grad transfer after investing a couple years in him. Wherever he ends up will be his third school (came to IUP from Bowie State).

But, you never know what brought this on. Perhaps a DL transfer came in and his role would be shrunk. Maybe he hits the portal and decides to stay. We'll see what happens.
                            Silver lining is that Shockley will have an IUP degree to hang in his home or office. Can't grad transfer without graduating.
                            Last edited by Fightingscot82; 02-01-2021, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Somewhat related to that ... One thing I have never understood in my time around IUP and the PSAC is how involved and dedicated some parents are, and then when their son is done playing, they disappear. I've watched practice from the sideline with some dads, exchanged emails and phone calls with some moms, hell I've had many parents offer me a beer before and/or after the game. These parents live and die with the team. They educate themselves about the league and how D2 works. But then they're gone, and we never see or hear from them again.

Just unusual, but I have always wondered why that is.

IUPMonk, this isn't aimed at you ;)
                              I've met many over the years at football games. Lots of band parents, also.

I'd guess most of it is just simply their child is the only link to the school. Several I met over the years would drive 1-2 hours up here to each game. Take their kid out of the equation and that drive is no longer appealing. Being honest, IUP football game day isn't exactly a thrilling experience for the average fan. It was starting to get better. If you're driving 1-2 hours, plus the 3+ hours for the game and then driving another 1-2 hours back ... it's a long day -- especially if you no longer have a vested interest.

You're right that you certainly notice it over the years. The section in front of the pressbox stays pretty much the same but the rest of the home side is fairly revolving.

This board has obviously been subject to the same thing. Every season seems good for a few disgruntled parents joining us. And, soon enough, they are gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Somewhat related to that ... One thing I have never understood in my time around IUP and the PSAC is how involved and dedicated some parents are, and then when their son is done playing, they disappear. I've watched practice from the sideline with some dads, exchanged emails and phone calls with some moms, hell I've had many parents offer me a beer before and/or after the game. These parents live and die with the team. They educate themselves about the league and how D2 works. But then they're gone, and we never see or hear from them again.

Just unusual, but I have always wondered why that is.

IUPMonk, this isn't aimed at you ;)
                                What IUPbigINDIANS said is correct. I'll also add that PSAC football (and really anything sub FBS) is really seen as irrelevant by most people even the schools' alumni. This is why so much of the PSAC is substandard to the dominant conferences: scholarship dollars, facilities, atmosphere, etc. In PA I'd say that the football hierarchy is:
                                1. Steelers
                                2. Penn State
                                3. Eagles
                                4. Pitt
                                5. High Schools
                                6. Temple
                                7. Villanova
                                8. All Other FCS through DIII

So parents will support their kids on the team, cheer squad, band, etc. I've noticed that football parents are more likely to travel than band & cheer - and WAY more likely to financially support the team. They play in the golf outings, buy gear, buy season tickets, etc. But then their kid moves on and the parents go back to supporting the local high school or can give more attention to Pitt or Penn State or Ohio State.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X