Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Somewhat related to that ... One thing I have never understood in my time around IUP and the PSAC is how involved and dedicated some parents are, and then when their son is done playing, they disappear. I've watched practice from the sideline with some dads, exchanged emails and phone calls with some moms, hell I've had many parents offer me a beer before and/or after the game. These parents live and die with the team. They educate themselves about the league and how D2 works. But then they're gone, and we never see or hear from them again.

Just unusual, but I have always wondered why that is.

IUPMonk, this isn't aimed at you ;)
    That is all very true, Matt. I actually got to know a number of parents over the years as well in IUP football and hoops. Great people who understandably were very proud of their kids and who supported them and the university extremely well. And then it is like you say----they're outta here! I guess that is just how it works.

The IUPMonk is a bit of a throwback and man for all seasons. He'll be around until Miller Stadium crumbles into dust. Which may be sooner than most of us think.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
      It's a big deal to these kids playing football in college besides they earned their brief moment in the spot light by being talented enough to receive the offers. I'd much rather in person watch a good D2 game like Shepherd and IUP play than watch my nephew at Pitt because I feel I get more of the game "feel" at D2 being so close to field. Watching Pitt in person is more of the game day atmosphere because we're just not close enough to the field to "feel" the game. I remember sitting at Miller watching Box launch a long one to Barnes just watching, looking up at the ball, arch through the air, land right in Barnes' hands. You all know what I mean. You don't get that at the big stadiums.
      I can relate to that to be sure. 1994 opener when Ken Ferguson uncorked his arm and threw an 80-yard bomb to Mario Hardison to beat Brian Kelly and Grand Valley State. It was a thing of beauty to see it like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I can relate to that to be sure. 1994 opener when Ken Ferguson uncorked his arm and threw an 80-yard bomb to Mario Hardison to beat Brian Kelly and Grand Valley State. It was a thing of beauty to see it like that.
        Imagine if we didn't have that darn track.

Comment

• Here's some trivia since Eyerman's name was brought up.

We all know he was pressed in to the starting lineup as a true freshman (and beat SRU at SRU in the playoffs as a true freshman).

However, he started that year as a likely redshirt and No. 3 on the depth chart.

IUP lost two QBs in its narrow loss at Youngstown State. Who were they?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Imagine if we didn't have that darn track.
            I've been to one game at West Liberty and their stadium is football only. I actually didn't like the viewing angle. Maybe I'm just conditioned to watching with a track in between.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I've been to one game at West Liberty and their stadium is football only. I actually didn't like the viewing angle. Maybe I'm just conditioned to watching with a track in between.

There aren't many without tracks at this level. I absolutely loved Ashland's stadium when IUP played out there a couple years ago. It is just perfect for D2. It's different without the track ... fans are literally on top of the bench. If they'd ever tear down Miller and start over ... I'd love for that to be the model.

Comment

Here's some trivia since Eyerman's name was brought up.

We all know he was pressed in to the starting lineup as a true freshman (and beat SRU at SRU in the playoffs as a true freshman).

However, he started that year as a likely redshirt and No. 3 on the depth chart.

IUP lost two QBs in its narrow loss at Youngstown State. Who were they?
                Yohe and Randolph...

Comment

The IUPMonk is a bit of a throwback and man for all seasons. He'll be around until Miller Stadium crumbles into dust. Which may be sooner than most of us think.
                  Yeah, I'm hoping to load up the boys and do a twofer, IUP in the afternoon and Pitt at 7:00. Hopefully this fall, vaccines will be distributed and D2 can play. I was hoping if D2 does play, they use the 2020 schedule and IUP comes to Shepherd. Leave early, stop under the rt 45 bridge for some trout fishing, watch IUP and Shepherd, stop back at the rt 45 for a little afternoon trout fishing, then head home for Pitt on ACCN. That's great day!

Comment

Yeah, I'm hoping to load up the boys and do a twofer, IUP in the afternoon and Pitt at 7:00. Hopefully this fall, vaccines will be distributed and D2 can play. I was hoping if D2 does play, they use the 2020 schedule and IUP comes to Shepherd. Leave early, stop under the rt 45 bridge for some trout fishing, watch IUP and Shepherd, stop back at the rt 45 for a little afternoon trout fishing, then head home for Pitt on ACCN. That's great day!
                    Sounds like a plan!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Yohe and Randolph...
                      That's who I was going to go with. I only regret that you beat me to the punch here. LOL.

Comment

• Off topic but it looks like they converted the old racquet ball courts in the Field House in to the new Golf Lab(s). Looks good.

Talk about the big secret on campus. Lordy. Did you know IUP has won 12 PSAC titles since 2000? Incredible.

Comment

Off topic but it looks like they converted the old racquet ball courts in the Field House in to the new Golf Lab(s). Looks good.

Talk about the big secret on campus. Lordy. Did you know IUP has won 12 PSAC titles since 2000? Incredible.
                          IUP has a golf team??? I had no idea of that.

Comment

Off topic but it looks like they converted the old racquet ball courts in the Field House in to the new Golf Lab(s). Looks good.

Oh man you just jogged lose a memory from fall 1976. Freshman year at IUP. I was down at the racketball courts with a couple guys when my business calculus prof strolls in and asks if we wanted to play handball. We declined because we didn't know how to play handball and after all we were racket ball players. Turns out I had a business calculus test in the next couple of days. Prof hands me my test results and says "Looks like you should have been studying instead of playing racketball". I think he was salty because we wouldn't play him in handball.

Comment

IUP has a golf team??? I had no idea of that.
                              Sure does. Powerhouse.

Nice gig. They play at Indiana Country Club.

It's the most dominant program in the PSAC this century -- any sport.

Comment

Do they do some Fall stockings down there or you mainly after the survivors and natives by then?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X