• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP makes the NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/28/u...s-tuition.html

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Bucknell just offered. He won't be a D2 guy. Maybe in a year ir so if it doesn't work out.
      That's what I was thinking. If you have that many D1 offers you aren't going D2.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

That's what I was thinking. If you have that many D1 offers you aren't going D2.
        It's hard to compete against those 'preferred walk-on' offers -- especially from P5 schools. The lure of saying you play at Penn State, etc., is pretty hard to recruit against.

The LB that IUP signed this past off-season was a PWO at Penn State coming out of Altoona.

That said, PWO's pay their own way until (if) they can get on scholarship.

You could probably base a recruiting model off of just targeting PWO's after their freshmen year at those big schools. Tons of them hit the portal every off-season. Reality quickly sets in for many.

From a D2 program prospective ... keep a good relationship during the recruiting phase ... never know what may happen in a year or two when they are maybe looking for a new home.

Comment

It's hard to compete against those 'preferred walk-on' offers -- especially from P5 schools. The lure of saying you play at Penn State, etc., is pretty hard to recruit against.

The LB that IUP signed this past off-season was a PWO at Penn State coming out of Altoona.

That said, PWO's pay their own way until (if) they can get on scholarship.

You could probably base a recruiting model off of just targeting PWO's after their freshmen year at those big schools. Tons of them hit the portal every off-season. Reality quickly sets in for many.

From a D2 program prospective ... keep a good relationship during the recruiting phase ... never know what may happen in a year or two when they are maybe looking for a new home.
          BINGO! Those are the transfers to go after. Usually they are really good and don't have baggage!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            That's a good article and the writer does a very good job of outlining the history that has brought us to where we are now. Financial problems notwithstanding, it casts IUP in a positive light, IMO.

But $65k in debt? Seems like she hasn't accessed any aid that she should be eligible to receive.

At first, I was shocked when I read they discontinued the Journalism department. That dept. has produced a lot of really successful journalists. Then I talked to a friend of mine who is an alum of that dept. He's had substantial jobs in both print and TV (he was actually a news anchor for a PA TV station at one time). He told me what I already should have known and that was that journalism at IUP was about print and that is one of the worst fields regarding job prospects today. In a lot of ways, it makes sense to fold it into Communications.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's a good article and the writer does a very good job of outlining the history that has brought us to where we are now. Financial problems notwithstanding, it casts IUP in a positive light, IMO.

But $65k in debt? Seems like she hasn't accessed any aid that she should be eligible to receive.

At first, I was shocked when I read they discontinued the Journalism department. That dept. has produced a lot of really successful journalists. Then I talked to a friend of mine who is an alum of that dept. He's had substantial jobs in both print and TV (he was actually a news anchor for a PA TV station at one time). He told me what I already should have known and that was that journalism at IUP was about print and that is one of the worst fields regarding job prospects today. In a lot of ways, it makes sense to fold it into Communications.

I'm likely, age-wise, at the tail end of people who still like to read an actual newspaper -- full of actual news articles. I still like to hold the paper, flip the pages, etc. I cannot stand what online media has become, etc. It's like the National Enquirer version of news loaded with clickbait. I don't like reading the 'paper' on my phone ... although I've become accustomed to it.

Print journalism is just a tough racket. The jobs are few and far between, and you're likely looking at 10 years or so working in the boondocks for peanuts. Even those jobs can be tough to get.

Over the years several from IUP have gone from Journalism in to the Sports Information field. The Journalism department at IUP has produced a high number of very successful people. It was always a program probably right on the brink, enrollment-wise.

Sadly, with very few exceptions, daily print will be extinct in the near future. I wonder how much longer the Indiana Gazette will survive. I understand it. Print editions are old news by the time you read them. It's also a massive expense (and headache) to run the daily press. The online model is so much easier. It's a darn-near miracle the paper gets out on time. The only demographic that probably still religiously reads the print edition is unfortunately dying out by the day.

Comment

[/B]

I'm likely, age-wise, at the tail end of people who still like to read an actual newspaper -- full of actual news articles. I still like to hold the paper, flip the pages, etc. I cannot stand what online media has become, etc. It's like the National Enquirer version of news loaded with clickbait. I don't like reading the 'paper' on my phone ... although I've become accustomed to it.

Print journalism is just a tough racket. The jobs are few and far between, and you're likely looking at 10 years or so working in the boondocks for peanuts. Even those jobs can be tough to get.

Over the years several from IUP have gone from Journalism in to the Sports Information field. The Journalism department at IUP has produced a high number of very successful people. It was always a program probably right on the brink, enrollment-wise.

Sadly, with very few exceptions, daily print will be extinct in the near future. I wonder how much longer the Indiana Gazette will survive. I understand it. Print editions are old news by the time you read them. It's also a massive expense (and headache) to run the daily press. The online model is so much easier. It's a darn-near miracle the paper gets out on time. The only demographic that probably still religiously reads the print edition is unfortunately dying out by the day.
                Yeah its a shame. I think the IG is on borrowed time like many others. If they're lucky they will get bought out by Gannett or Ogden to buy them some more time. Honestly, I think the survival model might need to be merging TV news with print news. Ironically, years ago the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette owned what is now WPXI. I was a Post-Gazette subscriber until their ownership started getting nutty. Plus they keep cutting content making it less interesting to read. I miss my Sunday morning routine of reading the paper with my coffee before the kids were up.

Having that university perspective I noticed that the PG would advertise their interns and its like they had a policy of only taking students from elite Northeast schools, which is ironic because the consensus top journalism school is Northwestern. That's probably the ownership's elitism at work as they're Yalies.

Comment

Yeah its a shame. I think the IG is on borrowed time like many others. If they're lucky they will get bought out by Gannett or Ogden to buy them some more time.
                  https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...9237f91.html/?

http://www.indianagazette.com
                  www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• BINGO! Erie Times has changed hands a few times a few times also and down sized. I'm shocked that Tommy Boy Riesenweber still has a job.

Comment

Working Class?

Regional University?

How dare they!

Comment

[/B]

The Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News are not what they used to be...they have downsized over and over.

All of the suburban dailies were bought up by one company and they are shell of what they used to be...none of them are in their old buildings anymore. The print center for them is here in my development and they don't keep the place well maintained like everything surrounding it.

Comment

• IUP just announced due to rising Covid numbers in Indiana that it will start the first 3 weeks of Spring semester 100 percent online.

The release said IUP is recommending students not return to Indiana until Feb. 8.

Good luck with that one.
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-05-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

IUP has offered WR/LB Nick Maher (North Catholic).

I'd say slim chances they get him. Pitt, PSU and WVU reportedly offering PWO.
                            He has a D-1 body, but his highlight reel is not all that dynamic (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9481845...1ddc0864fc6176 ). I agree he probably won't commit to a D-II school, but I can see him attending one after 1-2 years at the D-1 level.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

He has a D-1 body, but his highlight reel is not all that dynamic (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9481845...1ddc0864fc6176 ). I agree he probably won't commit to a D-II school, but I can see him attending one after 1-2 years at the D-1 level.
                              Isn't North Catholic 1A or 1AA? He probably is a better fit at D2. Get Tort to pony up around a 1/2 scholarship and throw in books. Too bad these kids don't realize D2 is some really good football.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                                Isn't North Catholic 1A or 1AA? He probably is a better fit at D2. Get Tort to pony up around a 1/2 scholarship and throw in books. Too bad these kids don't realize D2 is some really good football.
                                North Catholic is a small classification school. That said, most of their kids are from larger school districts so it's hard to say. Many years they'd compete just fine playing up a couple classes.

Like Frank Cignetti always said ... you'll almost never get a kid with a D1 offer. We all know (most of) the PSAC is pretty good football -- 'we' however are a very small community. When you're in high school, the perception is its just some second-rate D2 league that is perceived as 13th grade at a no-name school. Our football facilities, as a whole, are awful. We're not on TV, etc. Even D1 offers at the true trash programs (that would lose to many D2 schools) still get that 'D1' status on the so-important (to them) social media, etc.

I mentioned a week ago you could make a living here off of signing PWO's from major programs. They get it out of their system. They've seen they aren't going to make it at Penn State or Pitt or wherever. But, they've had a year experience running scout against elite-caliber players. They understand how programs run, etc. You'd get them almost all with four years' eligibility as they no doubt took a redshirt as a PWO. They've had a year in the weight room. You get that year of body development from scrawny (or chubby lineman) 18-year-old out of the way.

I know some PWO's turn in to incredible stories -- but the vast majority do not. Many actually do stick around and play scout team for 4-5 years just for the status.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X