Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, you want an atmosphere. If for no other reason IUP and SRU recruit many of the same high school kids.

You don't our visit weekend to be a funeral home. I don't think D2 does overnight visits so they don't get to show off the IUP nightlife.

A D2 school of our size ... that place should be rocking on game day.

I'd still love to see way more sports marketing ... not only IUP but the conference as a whole. We have a great product in football and basketball.
    I'm pretty sure they still happen. Maybe not in a player's room but family staying in a hotel.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

They covered that with a 2 year starter at an FCS School in FLA , 6'1, 315, stuff gushing over this cat.

The DL -- which was a big question months ago -- now appears to be a major strength. Aside from the 'names' up there ... there are a couple underclassmen nobody has seen that are going to give some impact depth.

LB could be the spot they aren't overly deep at beyond the starting group.

Comment

IUP is a significantly bigger school than Eastern Illinois.

Charleston, IL, isn't exactly Chicago. More like Indiana, PA.
        Well, IUP is down to the 8000's and the PA House & Senate are hoping to do more gutting ASAP. Eastern Illinois has 6200. Another year or two, and they'll be the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Just some trolling. I bet they tried.
          Three turn downs auspiciously turned up at 3 PSAC openers..just sayin.

Comment

Three turn downs auspiciously turned up at 3 PSAC openers..just sayin.
            I get that. Lou Tepper loved to play cupcakes to start the season: Tiffin, St Anselm, WVU Tech, etc. Eventually those OWP anchors kept Edinboro out of the playoffs.

Schools in IUP's position want Gannon, Mercyhurst, Shippensburg, etc. They'll give you a good challenge to develop your team but you're still very likely to win and won't damage OWP.

Plus I imagine Tort has a very limited travel budget this year. Without a big guarantee there's no way he's going down to Texas or Georgia.

Comment

Lou Tepper loved to play cupcakes to start the season: Tiffin, St Anselm, WVU Tech, etc. Eventually those OWP anchors kept Edinboro out of the playoffs.
              Tepper had three winning seasons at Edinboro: 2003, 2004 and 2005. He made the playoffs the first two.
              In 2005, Edinboro lost to East Stroudsburg (playoffs) and California (not playoffs). The only team Edinboro beat that year with a winning record was .... Tiffin.
              I don't know how playing West Chester or Bloomsburg that year would have mattered.
              http://www.indianagazette.com
              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Tepper had three winning seasons at Edinboro: 2003, 2004 and 2005. He made the playoffs the first two.
                In 2005, Edinboro lost to East Stroudsburg (playoffs) and California (not playoffs). The only team Edinboro beat that year with a winning record was .... Tiffin.
                I don't know how playing West Chester or Bloomsburg that year would have mattered.
                Ahh yes, 2005. Edinboro goes 8-2 and lost those two games by a combined 13 points. Cal also had an 8-2 record but 1 loss was to a non-scholarship Monmouth.

If IUP goes 8-2 this year, loses those two games by 13 points, and misses the playoffs, there are posters on here climbing the Sutton Hall tower.

Comment

Ahh yes, 2005. Edinboro goes 8-2 and lost those two games by a combined 13 points. Cal also had an 8-2 record but 1 loss was to a non-scholarship Monmouth.

If IUP goes 8-2 this year, loses those two games by 13 points, and misses the playoffs, there are posters on here climbing the Sutton Hall tower.
                  I have to agree with you, especially with all of the one-year-mercenaries the team brought in.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

I have to agree with you, especially with all of the one-year-mercenaries the team brought in.
                    Here we go with the transfer talk ,what a waste of time. All top 20 D2 programs have transfers. Non issue these days. West Florida has 23 D1 guys and 18 jucos. In addition to a roster of 120. So there u go.

Comment

Here we go with the transfer talk ,what a waste of time. All top 20 D2 programs have transfers. Non issue these days. West Florida has 23 D1 guys and 18 jucos. In addition to a roster of 120. So there u go.
                      And if West Florida does not make it to the NCAA D-II playoffs, it will be a disappointment.

Comment

Real simple today. The teams who don't buy transfers schedule the banquet after the last game of the regular season.

The days of 'program guys' who stay 4-5 years are long gone. The job of the HC is to put the best 11 guys he can afford on the field.

Players transfer today at rates never seen in history.

Tort had holes to fill and plugged them fantastically this off-season. Next year he will have different holes and can plug them again. Transfer recruiting is huge right now ... usually a bidding war, too. So, keep sending those checks.

It's a dangerous game. There are some real boneheads out there for sale, too.

Comment

Real simple today. The teams who don't buy transfers schedule the banquet after the last game of the regular season.

The days of 'program guys' who stay 4-5 years are long gone. The job of the HC is to put the best 11 guys he can afford on the field.

Players transfer today at rates never seen in history.

Tort had holes to fill and plugged them fantastically this off-season. Next year he will have different holes and can plug them again. Transfer recruiting is huge right now ... usually a bidding war, too. So, keep sending those checks.

It's a dangerous game. There are some real boneheads out there for sale, too.
                          I do not believe there's much "stink" over IUP's recruitment of transfers/mercenaries. All I am saying is that it will be some "stink" if IUP, who is the only team in the conference without an OOC game, don't make the playoffs with a 8-2 record. If IUP starts the season 2-0, this is a mute point.

Comment

I do not believe there's much "stink" over IUP's recruitment of transfers/mercenaries. All I am saying is that it will be some "stink" if IUP, who is the only team in the conference without an OOC game, don't make the playoffs with a 8-2 record. If IUP starts the season 2-0, this is a mute point.
                            It isn't if they lose to both California and Slippery Rock. Which we've seen happen before in recent years.

Comment

If IUP starts the season 2-0, I doubt anyone will be mute. Quite a moot point.
                              Last edited by Fightingscot82; 08-11-2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

It isn't if they lose to both California and Slippery Rock. Which we've seen happen before in recent years.

Their schedule lays out kind of awkward.

Phase 1 IUP gets two massive games to start (Kutztown and Shepherd). Luckily both are at Miller.

Phase 2 sees a trip to Mercyhurst, a Gannon visit and then a trip to Clarion. IUP will be favored in all three, but all three typically put up a fight.

Phase 3 is the yearly back-to-back with (at) Slippery Rock and the Vulcans coming to town.

Phase 4 is an Edinboro visit followed by the de-facto home game in Greensburg.

The finale, for now, is a trip to West Chester.

Any coach around will tell you the single biggest improvement all season is from Game 1 to Game 2. IUP cannot replicate in practice what Kutztown will experience against Assumption. The only advantages are they can really scout KU pretty well (in person as well as extensively on film). Assumption isn't a pushover and should force Kutztown to show some things. IUP can also keep things close to the vest until kickoff on Sept. 11.

The back-to-back sets are brutal. I'd guess Vegas types would probably project a split in Phase 1 and Phase 3. That would send them in to Week 10 at 7-2.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X