Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They should have plenty of time to work it out. After this week, IUP should have three straight easy ones (@Mercy, #LIT-AF, @Clarion). That three-game stretch leads right to Slippery Rock on Oct. 16.
    That's become a competitive problem in the league. There seem to be very few mid-level teams these days. Usually about a half-dozen at the top, maybe a couple a tier below, and several very bad teams. Makes for a lot of ugly scores. I'd be surprised if this stays a 16-team league much longer, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Comment

• Comment

• Got to watch a playback of Tort's show ... some interesting comments.

* Jack said the 'message boards' were getting a lot of debate on not playing an 11th game. Tort said with this schedule they weren't going to play another ranked team. It didn't make sense. He also alluded to simply saving money. Interestingly, he sited 2018 when IUP went and beat Ashland in Ohio. He said that game turned out not to mean much come playoff time as they had two losses and were 9th despite a signature road non-conference win. He said Fairmont was No. 5 and they beat a 1-win team in Week 1.

* He's still fired up about the Duane Brown call. Said the official changed his story as to why he threw the flag which infuriated him. He did say he thought they got a 'make up' call a few players later when Davis was sacked but they called a personal foul.

* Javon Davis was the guest. He comes across very well -- well-spoken, articulate, etc. Jack asked him if he considered leaving after all these transfers have been brought in (Maxwell, Ramart, Harry) ... and he said he never considered it. Tort said he's worked hard and beat out Ramart and also a fellow freshman (who is now at Walk-On U).

* Jack said he thought that was the most energetic crowd at Miller in about 25 years -- in particularly the 'big man' Pick 6.

* One interesting Q&A was in regard to Shepherd joining the PSAC. Tort said he had no issue with it because they were probably going to be meeting in the playoffs anyway most years. He did say, however, many East schools objected to the Rams joining the conference. No real surprise there but interesting to hear somebody (other than a message board) say it.

* The Harry nor Streater situations were discussed. They also didn't discuss any injury updates (not that I expected them to do so).

Comment

• Last edited by IUPNation; 09-14-2021, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

That's become a competitive problem in the league. There seem to be very few mid-level teams these days. Usually about a half-dozen at the top, maybe a couple a tier below, and several very bad teams. Makes for a lot of ugly scores. I'd be surprised if this stays a 16-team league much longer, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Yeah ... this was the last week in the Pick 'Em that I'm putting some of these games as 'straight up' picks. What's the point of putting SRU vs LH on there when 100% pick it the same way. I'll add back in some point spreads to those blowout-type games starting next week. Make it a bit more interesting.

Comment

• Comment

Got to watch a playback of Tort's show ... some interesting comments.

* Jack said the 'message boards' were getting a lot of debate on not playing an 11th game. Tort said with this schedule they weren't going to play another ranked team. It didn't make sense. He also alluded to simply saving money. Interestingly, he sited 2018 when IUP went and beat Ashland in Ohio. He said that game turned out not to mean much come playoff time as they had two losses and were 9th despite a signature road non-conference win. He said Fairmont was No. 5 and they beat a 1-win team in Week 1.

* He's still fired up about the Duane Brown call. Said the official changed his story as to why he threw the flag which infuriated him. He did say he thought they got a 'make up' call a few players later when Davis was sacked but they called a personal foul.

* Javon Davis was the guest. He comes across very well -- well-spoken, articulate, etc. Jack asked him if he considered leaving after all these transfers have been brought in (Maxwell, Ramart, Harry) ... and he said he never considered it. Tort said he's worked hard and beat out Ramart and also a fellow freshman (who is now at Walk-On U).

* Jack said he thought that was the most energetic crowd at Miller in about 25 years -- in particularly the 'big man' Pick 6.

* One interesting Q&A was in regard to Shepherd joining the PSAC. Tort said he had no issue with it because they were probably going to be meeting in the playoffs anyway most years. He did say, however, many East schools objected to the Rams joining the conference. No real surprise there but interesting to hear somebody (other than a message board) say it.

* The Harry nor Streater situations were discussed. They also didn't discuss any injury updates (not that I expected them to do so).
                Yea pretty interesting. I think it helps everyone, forces others to raise their profile/commitment a bit to keep up. (strictly football speaking, Shepherd isn't great across the board). I'm still hoping basketball rubs off a bit on Shepherd's program. I still can't understand why they can't be a better program located as close to the DMV as we are.

Comment

• The vaccine is not 100% effective but does enough to recommend it. The challenge now is the mutations, which is the same challenge to the flu vaccine. The covid vaccine was developed using the Alpha strain. I read that Moderna is working on a covid & flu combo booster.

Comment

Yeah ... this was the last week in the Pick 'Em that I'm putting some of these games as 'straight up' picks. What's the point of putting SRU vs LH on there when 100% pick it the same way. I'll add back in some point spreads to those blowout-type games starting next week. Make it a bit more interesting.

Comment

• Last edited by IUPNation; 09-14-2021, 08:26 AM.

Comment

From WCCS (seems they made an error on Streater):

missing a number of players
                        If you have half of the coaching staff out for most of this week how do you prepare for Saturday's game?

Last week they were there until Thursday so they pretty much did their job. This week would seem to be a real challenge.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

If you have half of the coaching staff out for most of this week how do you prepare for Saturday's game?

Last week they were there until Thursday so they pretty much did their job. This week would seem to be a real challenge.

Tort said he's hoping to get the coaches back late in the week. He said it won't be easy.

One of the funny parts of his show last night was he said his phone was blowing up pre-game because with four coaches out (and he eluded to other staff, also) that he was getting calls about the music not being on during warm-ups, a missing endzone pylon, etc. He said he finally told somebody he doesn't work in game-day management.

Comment

• Comment

• From purely a football comparison, Joe Public at the packed stadium doesn't have to pass a Covid test every Wednesday. He can have it, not know it, and still go to work. Player fails and he's gone for 10 days / 2 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

If only there was something to prevent or minimize the problem. Hmmmmmm.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X