X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

You can't have an escape plan when you admit at least one school in the triad is already sustainable by itself and that the merge is a net positive for PASSHE students. How would Bloom escape ?
    There is no escaping this. Once done, it's done. There is 0% chance the non-dominant schools will rebound.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

You can't have an escape plan when you admit at least one school in the triad is already sustainable by itself and that the merge is a net positive for PASSHE students. How would Bloom escape ?
    Fair point. I think the bottom line is that there should be some financial forecasting available. Revenue can have conservative assumptions about state appropriation and population projections for where they've historically enrolled students. Expense projections are much easier to forecast since a lot of it is long-term in union contracts and bond debt.

Related to finances, the state budget doesn't increase PASSHE's appropriation but does give an extra $50 million specifically for the merger plans. Unsure why - that's millions more than Greenstein said this thing would cost. But that also means schools don't see any additional state revenue with promotions, raises, and cost increases starting today.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It allows them to spread out the related faculty job cuts and have more time to be Middle States (accreditation) compliant. They still have not shared requested info for the NCAA to make a decision. I think athletics is so far from the minds of anyone at PASSHE or on the BOG that its been overlooked, even though their enrollment is critical to both plans. I'd also like to see the plans have escape clauses for the schools. For example, if Mansfield's enrollment rebounds to the point that it can survive on its own again (unlikely but hypothetical) there should be a process or a benchmark for that. Can't give some schools immunity if the affected ones don't get an escape plan.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
    So supposedly they are going to phase the Academic Program Array implementation and clarify the mode of delivery for classes more in the next draft of this.

Not sure if these will be good or bad (on the academic array part)...but they attribute this to feedback.
    It allows them to spread out the related faculty job cuts and have more time to be Middle States (accreditation) compliant. They still have not shared requested info for the NCAA to make a decision. I think athletics is so far from the minds of anyone at PASSHE or on the BOG that its been overlooked, even though their enrollment is critical to both plans. I'd also like to see the plans have escape clauses for the schools. For example, if Mansfield's enrollment rebounds to the point that it can survive on its own again (unlikely but hypothetical) there should be a process or a benchmark for that. Can't give some schools immunity if the affected ones don't get an escape plan.

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied
    So supposedly they are going to phase the Academic Program Array implementation and clarify the mode of delivery for classes more in the next draft of this.

Not sure if these will be good or bad (on the academic array part)...but they attribute this to feedback.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Well, if we could have kept it to 20-25% or so things would be fine. basically 1000 students more. There are endless discussions as to where these students went - gone to SRU or now getting into Pitt or PSU seem like the best guess.

Valid. Thing is most of on here live in the past regarding this topic. In our minds IUP is still high and mighty (enrollment-wise, etc.). Somewhere along the way over the past decade (or so) IUP has lost a lot of its previous 'it' factor to this generation.

These are the children of the party era at IUP. Our glowing reputation doesn't help matters.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think that's a pretty good example of why IUP has lost 40% of its students in the last decade. Its not IUP's fault though. Just a lot more competition for a declining number of middle of the curve students.
    Well, if we could have kept it to 20-25% or so things would be fine. basically 1000 students more. There are endless discussions as to where these students went - gone to SRU or now getting into Pitt or PSU seem like the best guess.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ironic part is IUP was booming financially when it had a whole campus full of dopes with 875 SAT scores. We still take plenty of said dopes -- just far less of them. Not by choice, of course.

IUP HC students are getting harder to find. If they qualify for IUP HC then they surely can get in to much better schools than IUP. With IUP's pricing soaring ... not a good mix.

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied
    Pa. state university chancellor largely silent on NCAA but cites moves to address merger worries

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202106300083

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied
    They did an Integration Workshop today to update on it.

Through June 20th, they've received 738 comments. They marked 34 as Plan Actionable. The rest...non-actionable or viewpoint.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ironic part is IUP was booming financially when it had a whole campus full of dopes with 875 SAT scores. We still take plenty of said dopes -- just far less of them. Not by choice, of course.

IUP HC students are getting harder to find. If they qualify for IUP HC then they surely can get in to much better schools than IUP. With IUP's pricing soaring ... not a good mix.
    I think that's a pretty good example of why IUP has lost 40% of its students in the last decade. Its not IUP's fault though. Just a lot more competition for a declining number of middle of the curve students.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Success depends on what the student does with the opportunity. The perks and extra attention gives an engaged student an advantage with more opportunity and lifestyle. Generally the HC students are mostly all the engaged type that want to learn for its own sake, and will probably do pretty good regardless of the circumstance. Then again, I've seen students gain just as much on their own, with the same positive attitude. I think in the end the HC helps the engaged students find each other quicker, and provides a community for them - that is huge, just to avoid a dorm full of Blutoskys and the 300 student Art 101 class. But if you view college as just a set of requirements to complete, its not necessary.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Ok, I've been wrong before. However, I'm not totally sold. If there is no added value why do top students continue to enroll. My impression is that it's a hyper-intensive experience and that alone will, in most cases, help students in their post-college endeavors whether it's further education or job-related.
    Success depends on what the student does with the opportunity. The perks and extra attention gives an engaged student an advantage with more opportunity and lifestyle. Generally the HC students are mostly all the engaged type that want to learn for its own sake, and will probably do pretty good regardless of the circumstance. Then again, I've seen students gain just as much on their own, with the same positive attitude. I think in the end the HC helps the engaged students find each other quicker, and provides a community for them - that is huge, just to avoid a dorm full of Blutoskys and the 300 student Art 101 class. But if you view college as just a set of requirements to complete, its not necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I guess it's the same as university status in a way. At one time university status meant something. Now, it's just an updated word for a college. I guess with the proliferation of HC's it gets watered down. Everybody wants to have one.
    And IUP deserves commendation because theirs was an early leader not just in the region but for regional publics. The Cook donation that moved it forward was huge at the time.

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied

Just skimmed through some of them. I would expect most comments to be in opposition but what is striking is the cogence of the vast majority of them. So many of them spell out the opposition in great detail. I don't think greenstein and the BOG (or the legislature) have answers for most of it.
    Agreed. These aren't just people who fear change. They're people who see a ship headed towards an iceburg.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X