Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ClarionPSAC View Post

Meniscus, I believe
    Given the season, and the mass exodus that is happening, will the staff return???

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

How?

At the core of it ... money.

I've said for years on here the disparity in the PSAC is worse than MLB. Yankees and Pirates.

We have two divisions in the PSAC, but also essentially three levels -- big money, average money and no money. Yet, they are supposed to 'compete' with one another.

You're right.

But what if I told you that after the 3 football-playing privates and IUP, Clarion gave out the most athletic scholarship equivalencies in the PSAC in 2020-21?

Last year, Clarion and California spent roughly the same on all their men's sports, ~30 equivalencies. Clarion spent 12 on football and Cal spent 20. Cal put a little bit more into men's basketball than Clarion, but Clarion spent ~11 on other men's sports (most of it in wrestling) while Cal spent ~3.

What that tells me is that Cal prioritizes football more than Clarion, and so it funds it that way.
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

You're right.

But what if I told you that after the 3 football-playing privates and IUP, Clarion gave out the most athletic scholarship equivalencies in the PSAC in 2020-21?

Last year, Clarion and California spent roughly the same on all their men's sports, ~30 equivalencies. Clarion spent 12 on football and Cal spent 20. Cal put a little bit more into men's basketball than Clarion, but Clarion spent ~11 on other men's sports (most of it in wrestling) while Cal spent ~3.

What that tells me is that Cal prioritizes football more than Clarion, and so it funds it that way.
        Good info. I expect you'd find that true of other schools in the conference as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Futurelooksbright View Post
          I think a lot of this is true. Certain teams like Shepard, and teams out west seem to have a lot more $$$ to through at maybe a local D1 player coming home. Shippensburg offers out of state kids in state tuition, don't really know how that is legal. Maybe schools like Millersville and Bloomsburg and Seton Hill will have more $$$ this year and can start really competing.
          Last I checked, Shepherd still wasn't offering a full array of scholarships like some of the big Western PSAC schools. We're a much smaller institution than the IUP's and SRU's and running with WV state funding supplemented by a smaller alumni footprint.

Comment

Another coaching vacancy that might generate some PSAC interest - DIII Buffalo State is open.

Comment

Pellegrino (DL) and Leiby (QB) both have two years of eligibility remaining.. what PSAC schools do you all think they could end up at? Or what schools need help at those positions?

Comment

Originally posted by BloomFan0102 View Post
                Pellegrino (DL) and Leiby (QB) both have two years of eligibility remaining.. what PSAC schools do you all think they could end up at? Or what schools need help at those positions?
                I've heard that both of these kids have had alot of interest from schools. Where they end up will depend on fit on academics and the football program.
                whomever lands these 2 will be lucky to have them.
                Last edited by Footballfanofall; 11-19-2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Another coaching vacancy that could impact PSAC - Alvernia is now open.

Comment

Originally posted by Footballfanofall View Post

I've heard that both of these kids have had alot of interest from schools. Where they end up will depend on fit on academics and ythe football program.
                    whomever lands these 2 will be lucky to have them.

Two positions IUP is shopping for at the moment. Wonder if they are in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

You're right.

Could also be the effects of directed giving.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Could also be the effects of directed giving.
                        That would be my guess, too. I know every year IUP gives me the option to specifically say where I want my money to go (i.e. football, basketball, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That would be my guess, too. I know every year IUP gives me the option to specifically say where I want my money to go (i.e. football, basketball, etc.).
                          Its a little bit of both. Cal and IUP push unrestricted athletics donations/revenue toward their revenue sports where most others use that money to fund the non-revenue sports and women's teams. Edinboro and Clarion also have D1 wrestling competing for funds. Eliminate wrestling and suddenly football & basketball have more money. I'm not suggesting that but it shows how much easier it is for Cal & IUP to use unrestricted funds to benefit football. Should be interesting to see what the return of wrestling does for Slip football.

Another thing is that some schools may have hit a ceiling on fundraising outside of one-off major gifts. There are only so many community sponsorships and alumni donations. A golf outing used to be a big time fundraiser. Now it barely gets you one equivalency if you're lucky. Throw in that some of our schools are in communities in gradual decline so there are fewer community sponsorships to go around. Alumni don't donate like they used to. Young alumni don't see the value and take offense to the ask while they're paying off loans - then they get conditioned to not giving.
                          Last edited by Fightingscot82; 11-19-2021, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Its a little bit of both. Cal and IUP push unrestricted athletics donations/revenue toward their revenue sports where most others use that money to fund the non-revenue sports and women's teams. Edinboro and Clarion also have D1 wrestling competing for funds. Eliminate wrestling and suddenly football & basketball have more money. I'm not suggesting that but it shows how much easier it is for Cal & IUP to use unrestricted funds to benefit football. Should be interesting to see what the return of wrestling does for Slip football.
                            The return of wrestling to SRU? Where does that stand?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The last update said no money has been raised.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I guess I was mistaken. I thought I had seen something about wrestling returning but it was just an alumni fundraising movement.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X