Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    The premise of the move would be that you would have the job otherwise you are correct it would be a waste of time. Do such odd situations occur ? Not often, but not never.
    I'd be curious of any cases of D2 to P5 working really well.....meaning a starter let alone getting drafted after...... Esp a QB example.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post

I'd be curious of any cases of D2 to P5 working really well.....meaning a starter let alone getting drafted after...... Esp a QB example.

Considering that the entire transfer concept wasn't ever a reality in NCAA dominated era, there would be almost no chance of that example existing. However, based on recent trends and court decisions, it is an entirely new ballgame. IMO, a future where a high quality HS player doesn't like the D1 offers he gets, takes his best D2 offer in order to "audition" and step up after his 2nd year. Real life example...PSAC #1 scorer and FG kicker CAL U Fr Anthony Beitko...16-17, 94.1%, 1.6 FG pg would place him just below the top tier of D1 kickers. Coming back next year and improving those stats even marginally would make him a very possible candidate to make that step up. I hope that isn't the case but if Wake Forest's kicker, Jr Nick Sciba ( 20-22, 909%, 1.67 FG pg) graduates after next year and the Deacons are looking for a kicker with college game tested experience rather than a good HS prospect, why would he not consider it. Will it be common, certainly not, but their are top notch D2 players who will now have this opportunity with the very liberalised transfer rules. My guess is WR, RB and KRKS will be the most common because their skills are easily transferable to other team schemes. QB will be the rarest, but once D1 coaches recognize how easy it is to fill significant holes in their line-ups with D2 plug-ins, my guess is the trend will pick up momentum.

Comment

• Kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a giant H ("Coming To America" reference) isnt the same as being a position player.

P5 coaches will never pirate D2. They want the other P5 transfers that had stars after their name when coming out of HS. Get a D2 no star QB and it flops and you have no other QB;s that you recruited that can play (like IUP) and youre about to be fired at that level.

Pitt wants Spencer Rattler not a D2 QB. Or the 30 other 3 star or above P5 QB names in the portal. If any have had some success where theyre leaving or Narduzzi liked one coming out of HS and didnt get him. A P5 D1 coach will never consider a D2 transfer a "plug in". MAC schools with the 85 scholarships can take a flyer the best d2 guys that can transition physically but even they still want the P5 transfers. Even in the MAC d2 guys will still be rare. IMO

Comment

Off the top of my head, the best example I can think of is Cole Tracy. I can't think of a QB who did it.

Edinboro's Walter Fletcher was a solid player at Ball State and parlayed that into a CFL job.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Somewhat OT but care to list PSAC QBs #2 & #3 since 2000 ?? Is Trevor Harris up there ?
            Trevor Harris was No. 1 until Bagent came along.

If they're 1 and 2, then #3 is one of the following: Randy McKavish (SRU), Roland Rivers (SRU), Peter Lalich (Cal). I won't include IUP guys because I saw them so often it's hard to compare them with guys I saw only a couple times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Trevor Harris was No. 1 until Bagent came along.

If they're 1 and 2, then #3 is one of the following: Randy McKavish (SRU), Roland Rivers (SRU), Peter Lalich (Cal). I won't include IUP guys because I saw them so often it's hard to compare them with guys I saw only a couple times.
              Hard to compare different times, too.

McKavish played in a much different, slower, run-heavy offensive era than Rivers.

McKavish in the Lutz offense would have had crazy numbers.

Comment

Off the top of my head, the best example I can think of is Cole Tracy. I can't think of a QB who did it.

Edinboro's Walter Fletcher was a solid player at Ball State and parlayed that into a CFL job.
                Fletcher had a good year at Ball st. I think he was around 1000 yds rushing and recieving combined as the 3rd down back basically. Boro also has OL Vitaly Gurman starting at Toledo this year.

Both are examples and why I say MAC is best case scenario. I wouldnt count a kicker even though technically it does. It's not jumping up in competition like a position player.

The QB from West Florida was at UCONN in 2019 with Ardell Brown the WR from Seton Hill. Beaudry played in 5 games and Brown who was one of the best wr in the psac caught 27 passes in 11 games. And UCONN like the MAC is not P5.

P5 is a different animal with who coaches will even consider.
                Last edited by EdinboroFB; 12-04-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Fletcher had a good year at Ball st. I think he was around 1000 yds rushing and recieving combined as the 3rd down back basically. Boro also has OL Vitaly Gurman starting at Toledo this year.

Both are examples and why I say MAC is best case scenario. I wouldnt count a kicker even though technically it does. It's not jumping up in competition like a position player.

The QB from West Florida was at UCONN in 2019 with Ardell Brown the WR from Seton Hill. Beaudry played in 5 games and Brown who was one of the best wr in the psac caught 27 passes in 11 games. And UCONN like the MAC is not P5.

P5 is a different animal with who coaches will even consider.
                  P5 is certainly different but within those leagues there are vastly different team talent levels. ACC has WAKE FOREST and PITT (???) but it also has 'CUSE, BC and DUKE. Again not likely but in the ever expanding portal things may begin to change....or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Could he play at a P5 school? Maybe. Maybe not. He's also benefitted from developing through his team and in a system that fits him. A lot of guys fall to D2 because of size, where they went to school, or their parents couldn't take them on a worldwide tour of QB camps.
                    I have coached a harlon hill award winner before and a kid that had a cup of coffee in the league as a qb. Bagent's skill set, size etc make him a legit power 5 qb. (my opinion)

Comment

• Ship picked up a transfer from Maine.
                      Joey McCracken 2x All-State QB | Big33 Selection, 4 years of eligibility

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                        Ship picked up a transfer from Maine.
                        Joey McCracken 2x All-State QB | Big33 Selection, 4 years of eligibility

He didn't last there long. Numerous PSAC schools initially chased him last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

He didn't last there long.
                          The QB who got the most playing time this year at Maine was a redshirt freshman, so it makes sense. Plus, Maine has a new coach.

Comment

The QB who got the most playing time this year at Maine was a redshirt freshman, so it makes sense. Plus, Maine has a new coach.
                            I think IUP was actually interested in him at one point (as I recall).

Comment

His twitter says he had offers from Maine, Shippensburg, Kutztown and IUP, and that he visited West Chester, Slippery Rock, Buffalo, Cornell, Monmouth, Princeton and Syracuse.

Comment

Yep. He had offers from IUP, Kutztown, and Ship. That's a great get for the Raiders - especially with 4 years of eligibility.

Maine is a beautiful campus but it looks like a PASSHE campus in a town that looks like a PASSHE college town. Pretty rural. Long, difficult drive from PA. Lots of long bus rides on that team.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X