X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

1) the schools don't prioritize the stadiums when asking for state construction money

2) PASSHE can't/doesn't lobby the way privates and state-relates do.

Penn State can blast state funding in its alumni magazine and provide online ways to contact legislators to advocate for funding. They also have Penn State lobby days in Harrisburg. Same goes for Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln. Because state dollars to Penn State, Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln are merely handouts there aren't strings on how they're used and can be used to lobby for more. PASSHE as a state entity can't lobby itself or criticize state government for not providing more funding. Yes, there is a state lobby day but their tone has to be MUCH different and the "advocacy days" have to be funded by the separate affiliate groups like SGA or the Alumni Association. Private schools (there are 93 in PA) each have their own lobby days when they send students to Harrisburg and ask for money...for private schools. Private schools can fund this but have to report it on their annual Form 990 tax filing. There is also a third party group, PICU, that represents private colleges and universities and lobbies on their behalf on top of the individual schools.

Everything in this state is backwards. The state higher ed financial aid program actually gives you MORE money if you attend a private school. It incentivizes students to NOT choose the schools the state funds.

Can you somehow tell Josh Shapiro all of this? I can’t imagine he supports this nonsense. If he even knows it’s set up this way at all.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not saying I disagree with you but the mother ship in Creepy Valley pulls an awful lot of weight in PA politics.
    Yep. Those Michigan game box passes mysteriously dropped into a state legislator's mailbox tend to carry more weight than the annual Coal Boal tickets amongst us peons, even if the total cost to buy the IUP tickets is more than the Penn State tickets LOL

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Nah, the state that can't find $500 million for the entire PASSHE system doesn't need to be contributing to a $700 million football enterprise. They can use the money they get from television rights, overpriced season tickets, and the $20 parking fees they collect to park fans in cow pastures.
    Not saying I disagree with you but the mother ship in Creepy Valley pulls an awful lot of weight in PA politics.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

So why can’t they spend on our schools. Literally every stadium needs a major renovation.
    1) the schools don't prioritize the stadiums when asking for state construction money

2) PASSHE can't/doesn't lobby the way privates and state-relates do.

Penn State can blast state funding in its alumni magazine and provide online ways to contact legislators to advocate for funding. They also have Penn State lobby days in Harrisburg. Same goes for Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln. Because state dollars to Penn State, Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln are merely handouts there aren't strings on how they're used and can be used to lobby for more. PASSHE as a state entity can't lobby itself or criticize state government for not providing more funding. Yes, there is a state lobby day but their tone has to be MUCH different and the "advocacy days" have to be funded by the separate affiliate groups like SGA or the Alumni Association. Private schools (there are 93 in PA) each have their own lobby days when they send students to Harrisburg and ask for money...for private schools. Private schools can fund this but have to report it on their annual Form 990 tax filing. There is also a third party group, PICU, that represents private colleges and universities and lobbies on their behalf on top of the individual schools.

Everything in this state is backwards. The state higher ed financial aid program actually gives you MORE money if you attend a private school. It incentivizes students to NOT choose the schools the state funds.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

If you don't like the idea of the state contributing to Penn State athletic facilities, don't look into the state RACP program and what they do for private universities.
    So why can’t they spend on our schools. Literally every stadium needs a major renovation.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Perhaps PSU agrees to host the PIAA football finals there as part of the deal (to justify state funds). That would be the ideal location. Great town, plenty of hotels, etc.
    Nah, the state that can't find $500 million for the entire PASSHE system doesn't need to be contributing to a $700 million football enterprise. They can use the money they get from television rights, overpriced season tickets, and the $20 parking fees they collect to park fans in cow pastures.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It would look stupid because even the novelty of Beaver Stadium won't draw anything noteworthy beyond what has drawn at Altoona and Hershey. But location-wise, yes, its great. Conference center hotel adjacent to the stadium. Decent airport adjacent for those FBS coaches to fly in for the game.
    Yes, but no more stupid than playing in an empty Heinz Field (I forget the new name). It's more the thrill of the stadium for the players.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Perhaps PSU agrees to host the PIAA football finals there as part of the deal (to justify state funds). That would be the ideal location. Great town, plenty of hotels, etc.
    It would look stupid because even the novelty of Beaver Stadium won't draw anything noteworthy beyond what has drawn at Altoona and Hershey. But location-wise, yes, its great. Conference center hotel adjacent to the stadium. Decent airport adjacent for those FBS coaches to fly in for the game.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    The Centre County Community College is about to commence a $700 million renovation project on The Erector Set.

They are hoping the state will contribute some funding. Are they effing kidding me? The state schools can't get a buck to upgrade our foosball fields but they think they should get money even though the state doesn't own the school.

http://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsyl...0WlfjxfAoKSHRa
    If you don't like the idea of the state contributing to Penn State athletic facilities, don't look into the state RACP program and what they do for private universities.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The Centre County Community College is about to commence a $700 million renovation project on The Erector Set.

They are hoping the state will contribute some funding. Are they effing kidding me? The state schools can't get a buck to upgrade our foosball fields but they think they should get money even though the state doesn't own the school.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Pennsylvania?
    I know. Harrisburg is useless but now that the adults control the legislature and we have still have a rational adult as Gubner you’d think there’s be a chance but then I remember the Q Cult still controls the State Senate.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Why can’t the state authorize the money based on a public need?

They throw money at a useless arena in the Mon Valley but we can’t set up its best public university with a medical school to benefit rural taxpayers.

Oh wait it’s IUP. The school they’ve been making jump through hoops since the mid 60’s…
    Pennsylvania?

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    IUP landed a $1 million gift toward its osteopathic medicine school:

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...ated-the-cash/
    Why can’t the state authorize the money based on a public need?

They throw money at a useless arena in the Mon Valley but we can’t set up its best public university with a medical school to benefit rural taxpayers.

Oh wait it’s IUP. The school they’ve been making jump through hoops since the mid 60’s…

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

His 40 was terrible (I saw in the 4.6-range). That won't get a WR in to any camps. I suspect he'll catch on in one of the other leagues.
    And while he was able to get open often, his route-running wasn't all that great. I was hoping he went ahead and played in the other leagues first to prove himself to the NFL. I do wish him well going forward.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X