X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    In the meantime, I'm going to put this article about Ice Hockey in Indiana, PA here.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...7522a7e4e.html
    Awesome!

It’s a shame D2 does not sponsor hockey.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    The IUP management shakeup is really shocking campus leadership in PASSHE. Some good coverage without a paywall: https://triblive.com/local/regional/...ne-operations/

IUP has roughly 600 more students than Slippery Rock. The difference is that IUP has no financial reserves and SRU has roughly $45 million.
    None of these PUBLIC universities should ever be in this position.

God damn it Harrisburg ****ing fund the schools you OWN and make the Centre County Community College use their BIG money to pay for the crap they want…and the Oakland Remedial Academy can do the same ducking thing..use the UPMC money that the gouge the public on to pay for whatever. Enough is enough!

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    In the meantime, I'm going to put this article about Ice Hockey in Indiana, PA here.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...7522a7e4e.html

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Bobby Mo WR has closed his recruiting. In Twitter speak that means he's made his choice.

My guess is IUP is a longshot. He picked up several lower-level FCS offers the past two weeks.

There is the Dayjure Stewart factor, however.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That is the best definition I've seen.

It does follow that the fewer students they have the more student-centered they can be, right? The days of students feeling lost in a bustling, mid-sized national university are over!
    As I've said for the past couple years ... if you drive through campus on a Friday night -- and didn't know you were actually on campus -- you wouldn't even know it.

It is so different now compared to even just 15-20 years ago (half the size obviously). Totally different vibe today. The nice part, of course, for those of us who live in Indiana is the current students almost all live on or very near campus. It's not like the past where they'd be spread well in to town.

I did recently hear that (at least) one of the big, new-ish, fancy dorms isn't even going to open this Fall. Not enough heads for the beds.

I just wonder how much longer until most of our schools start to look like MEC schools (with like 80-some percent of the enrollment there as athletes).

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Baby sitting!
    That is the best definition I've seen.

It does follow that the fewer students they have the more student-centered they can be, right? The days of students feeling lost in a bustling, mid-sized national university are over!

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

I still don't know what student-centeredness means.
    Baby sitting!

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    The IUP management shakeup is really shocking campus leadership in PASSHE. Some good coverage without a paywall: https://triblive.com/local/regional/...ne-operations/

IUP has roughly 600 more students than Slippery Rock. The difference is that IUP has no financial reserves and SRU has roughly $45 million.
    I still don't know what student-centeredness means.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

When do we expect these guys to start committing?
    Fairly soon. Most start to realize Alabama isn't going to call.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    IUP has offered an OL from Northwest Missouri State.

He has a lot of offers so we'll see.
    When do we expect these guys to start committing?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP has offered an OL from Northwest Missouri State.

He has a lot of offers so we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Thanks for the update. I'm going to assume that it is credible. Also, I hope other posters understand why this brief conversation is coming up on the IUP Football thread as it is important stuff.

I don't think anybody would be blindly optimistic. Driscoll can cite positive applications numbers. Hopefully, that trend will bear itself out. Also, reading between the lines (making assumptions) it seems possible the resources they do have are moving to the development of the medical school. As I understand it, a Dean for that has to be in place to move forward and he/she will not be cheap. I believe that if Driscoll himself has a vision for IUP is transforming into a STEAM-focused place. The Business school will rebound and thrive, also, IMO. That is a legitimate direction for IUP. The bottom line is so much of the future for IUP (and all PASSHE schools) depends on what decisions are made in Harrisburg. The entire state system is going to continue to change. I don't know if you can say continue to evolve.
    They may be able to get a med school Dean from the current faculty. IUP had a connection to the IRMC during covid that help build some of the relationships needed for the med school. The real advantage of a med school are all the premeds hoping to get preferential admissions to the med school, much like Rock does with their PT program. Most of the premeds won't qualify, but they fill up the science and health related programs. I retired recently so I don't have too much insider information anymore. The new contract will probably go after the temporary faculty, who currently received much more than typical for similar institutions. that will help a bit. Enrollment seems to be picking up a little, but boy are the covid HS kids behind, and socially fragile.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

True but that could change. This conversation in 5 years will be interesting.
    Yeah I don't like the idea of it, not that these schools didn't deserve it, but it should never be off the table. Eventually some creative solutions have to prevail. They can't cut their way to success. Selling my car might eliminate the monthly payment expense on my personal budget but the long term effect is that it downgrades my credit score and makes it more difficult to get to work.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

IUP and West Chester have immunity from mergers & closures. IUP had it as a condition for joining PASSHE then West Chester added it during the merger extravaganza since they're the only real successful school right now.
    True but that could change. This conversation in 5 years will be interesting.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X