Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

True. You never mention Deabner in the mix, though. He's a valuable member of the receiving corps.
    True. Only so many balls, however.

Seems to me if they get Booby Mo then some guys are either changing positions or playing largely on special teams.

I can't see Tort running many 5 WR sets but you never know. He could go Air Raid.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

True. Only so many balls, however.

Seems to me if they get Booby Mo then some guys are either changing positions or playing largely on special teams.

I can't see Tort running many 5 WR sets but you never know. He could go Air Raid.
      No doubt. I ain't going back and counting but like IUP has had 4 RB's involved I think they have had 5 or 6 WR's involved in games. That's the depth that separates the really good teams from the just good teams.

Comment

I really hope IUP can land this guy. Seems to me like he is poised to break out in a good D2 program.

Did a google search on Martin. Turns out Dayjure Stewart is one of his best friends, "like a brother" to him.
        This is a good thing? How soon people forget about Stewart’s off field issues

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          This is a good thing? How soon people forget about Stewart’s off field issues
          To be fair, that door started the fight.

I have serious doubts we see him at all this year. August will be just 8 months removed from ACL surgery. Tort already said he'd be out the first several games. That's likely wishful thinking.

He 'could' physically be ready by October but the mental part is the tough part for a RB. I suspect he takes a medical redshirt season (which is why they are recruiting another transfer RB).

Comment

No matter how it's spun, the sports are not equal at IUP. Not even close, in fact.

Joe Lombardi has the equivalent to a presidential suite for an office. His teams' film room rivals a small, modern movie theater. His team is decked out in more apparel than a Foot Locker store. His team often travels to games the day before and stays in hotels (when most games are two hours or less away). The baseball coach has a converted broom closet in the field house and may have to buy his own shag balls for BP.

Ironically, however, the most dominant (by far) program at IUP isn't football and it isn't men's basketball. It's Men's Golf. They are on a run for the ages the past 25 years (not that anybody knows).

The up-and-coming program is women's volleyball. They landed a home run coach last year. The trick, obviously, will be keeping her. She's young(ish) and will surely be on the D1 radar very quickly. Under the radar, they (well, somebody) is pumping money in to the volleyball program. They are taking recruiting trips across the country and also signing international players. Injuries derailed their big start last season, but they will be stacked this Fall. There also isn't a team on campus better at using social media than the volleyball program. Unfortunately, my guess is the coach is here one more season.

Baseball is the other sport that all the sudden has money pumping in to it. Steve Kline was a tremendous hire. He's also proving to be a very strong fundraiser. Money buys better players. And, that program never had any money.

The overall athletic department is really on the rise under Todd's control (he hired both the baseball and volleyball coaches). The previous regimes used every sport not named football or basketball as simply enrollment fillers. Baseball and Softball are both now tough outs -- no longer the team others look forward to playing. Swimming has quietly become a contender. Field Hockey and Lacrosse are respectable.

The next big question is how long can IUP keep AD Garzarelli in Indiana. He's certainly building a very strong resume.
            IUP athletics is very blessed with the number of high performing teams it has, and we’re pretty lucky around here as fans. I even went to a tennis match last year just to see what it was all about. Those ladies are good! I can’t think of any IUP team that’s a doormat. Baseball was a couple years ago, but that seems to have been addressed. Obviously Todd has done a good job. I think he’s pretty happy here and might not be as big of a threat to leave as some may think.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

IUP athletics is very blessed with the number of high performing teams it has, and we’re pretty lucky around here as fans. I even went to a tennis match last year just to see what it was all about. Those ladies are good! I can’t think of any IUP team that’s a doormat. Baseball was a couple years ago, but that seems to have been addressed. Obviously Todd has done a good job. I think he’s pretty happy here and might not be as big of a threat to leave as some may think.
              Tennis just went 6-0 in conference play. The Pee Sack isn't a national contender in ladies tennis unlike the small schools of the Sunshine State Conference. Schools in Flori-duh being good in outdoor tennis where they can play all year round...not a shock.

Ladies Lacrosse is doing well too.

Comment

• Perhaps the first ever recruiting post for the band, but, nonetheless.

I saw on social media that IUP has (70) incoming freshmen joining the marching band this summer. I'm not even sure they had that many in the whole band last year.

Everything changed for the band last year, football-wise, under the new director.

The next step is for IUP to take the band on key road trips -- in particular to up near Butler this Fall.

Comment

Perhaps the first ever recruiting post for the band, but, nonetheless.

I saw on social media that IUP has (70) incoming freshmen joining the marching band this summer. I'm not even sure they had that many in the whole band last year.

Everything changed for the band last year, football-wise, under the new director.

The next step is for IUP to take the band on key road trips -- in particular to up near Butler this Fall.
                  Good News!!!

It was nice that Doc was at the alumni band gathering last fall. Hopefully the new director is taking ideas and cues from Doc’s bands and brings it back under his direction.

Hopefully the set fire to the sheet music for Crimson Abomination.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Good News!!!

It was nice that Doc was at the alumni band gathering last fall. Hopefully the new director is taking ideas and cues from Doc’s bands and brings it back under his direction.

Hopefully the set fire to the sheet music for Crimson Abomination.
                    They became part of the event last year ... rather than just being tucked away behind the goal post. They started doing the pregame march / performance down through the tailgate area. Most importantly, they moved back to the home side and were very involved. The anniversary game when they had like 600 people perform at halftime was very cool. They also played 'football music' for the first time in forever. I was refreshing not to hear a symphony orchestra performance. With these beefed up numbers, they should be much louder this Fall. That's good, because that's about the only 'cheering' that comes from the home side.

The Crimson Express is going to be a whole different battle.

Comment

They became part of the event last year ... rather than just being tucked away behind the goal post. They started doing the pregame march / performance down through the tailgate area. Most importantly, they moved back to the home side and were very involved. The anniversary game when they had like 600 people perform at halftime was very cool. They also played 'football music' for the first time in forever. I was refreshing not to hear a symphony orchestra performance. With these beefed up numbers, they should be much louder this Fall. That's good, because that's about the only 'cheering' that comes from the home side.

The Crimson Express is going to be a whole different battle.
                      Why? Everybody hates it!

Comment

I really hope IUP can land this guy. Seems to me like he is poised to break out in a good D2 program.

Did a google search on Martin. Turns out Dayjure Stewart is one of his best friends, "like a brother" to him.
                        Yes they are both from fabulous York Pa.

Comment

• Aiden Marshall, one of the young OL trying to get in to the mix this Fall, suffered a leg injury yesterday and was carted off the field.

The extent of the injury is unknown. Hopefully it was precautionary. But, the cart is typically not a good thing.

So, Tort could now be adding (2) OL to the post-Spring shopping schedule (they've been looking for one).

Comment

Aiden Marshall, one of the young OL trying to get in to the mix this Fall, suffered a leg injury yesterday and was carted off the field.

The extent of the injury is unknown. Hopefully it was precautionary. But, the cart is typically not a good thing.

So, Tort could now be adding (2) OL to the post-Spring shopping schedule (they've been looking for one).
                            :-(

Comment

• FYI ... today is IUP's Day of Giving.

i.e. Tort needs some more coin to buy some more toys this summer.

Comment

• There's a good article in the Gazette today about Karst Hunter and his decision to pick IUP.

Of note, he'll be arriving here in early June. I think that's very important, chemistry building-wise.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X