Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    The Centre County Community College is about to commence a $700 million renovation project on The Erector Set.

They are hoping the state will contribute some funding. Are they effing kidding me? The state schools can't get a buck to upgrade our foosball fields but they think they should get money even though the state doesn't own the school.

http://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsyl...0WlfjxfAoKSHRa
    Perhaps PSU agrees to host the PIAA football finals there as part of the deal (to justify state funds). That would be the ideal location. Great town, plenty of hotels, etc.

Comment

The Centre County Community College is about to commence a $700 million renovation project on The Erector Set.

They are hoping the state will contribute some funding. Are they effing kidding me? The state schools can't get a buck to upgrade our foosball fields but they think they should get money even though the state doesn't own the school.

http://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsyl...0WlfjxfAoKSHRa
      If you don't like the idea of the state contributing to Penn State athletic facilities, don't look into the state RACP program and what they do for private universities.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Perhaps PSU agrees to host the PIAA football finals there as part of the deal (to justify state funds). That would be the ideal location. Great town, plenty of hotels, etc.
        It would look stupid because even the novelty of Beaver Stadium won't draw anything noteworthy beyond what has drawn at Altoona and Hershey. But location-wise, yes, its great. Conference center hotel adjacent to the stadium. Decent airport adjacent for those FBS coaches to fly in for the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It would look stupid because even the novelty of Beaver Stadium won't draw anything noteworthy beyond what has drawn at Altoona and Hershey. But location-wise, yes, its great. Conference center hotel adjacent to the stadium. Decent airport adjacent for those FBS coaches to fly in for the game.
          Yes, but no more stupid than playing in an empty Heinz Field (I forget the new name). It's more the thrill of the stadium for the players.

Comment

Nah, the state that can't find $500 million for the entire PASSHE system doesn't need to be contributing to a $700 million football enterprise. They can use the money they get from television rights, overpriced season tickets, and the $20 parking fees they collect to park fans in cow pastures.

Comment

If you don't like the idea of the state contributing to Penn State athletic facilities, don't look into the state RACP program and what they do for private universities.
              So why can’t they spend on our schools. Literally every stadium needs a major renovation.

Comment

So why can’t they spend on our schools. Literally every stadium needs a major renovation.
                1) the schools don't prioritize the stadiums when asking for state construction money

2) PASSHE can't/doesn't lobby the way privates and state-relates do.

Penn State can blast state funding in its alumni magazine and provide online ways to contact legislators to advocate for funding. They also have Penn State lobby days in Harrisburg. Same goes for Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln. Because state dollars to Penn State, Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln are merely handouts there aren't strings on how they're used and can be used to lobby for more. PASSHE as a state entity can't lobby itself or criticize state government for not providing more funding. Yes, there is a state lobby day but their tone has to be MUCH different and the "advocacy days" have to be funded by the separate affiliate groups like SGA or the Alumni Association. Private schools (there are 93 in PA) each have their own lobby days when they send students to Harrisburg and ask for money...for private schools. Private schools can fund this but have to report it on their annual Form 990 tax filing. There is also a third party group, PICU, that represents private colleges and universities and lobbies on their behalf on top of the individual schools.

Everything in this state is backwards. The state higher ed financial aid program actually gives you MORE money if you attend a private school. It incentivizes students to NOT choose the schools the state funds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Nah, the state that can't find $500 million for the entire PASSHE system doesn't need to be contributing to a $700 million football enterprise. They can use the money they get from television rights, overpriced season tickets, and the $20 parking fees they collect to park fans in cow pastures.
                  Not saying I disagree with you but the mother ship in Creepy Valley pulls an awful lot of weight in PA politics.

Comment

Not saying I disagree with you but the mother ship in Creepy Valley pulls an awful lot of weight in PA politics.
                    Yep. Those Michigan game box passes mysteriously dropped into a state legislator's mailbox tend to carry more weight than the annual Coal Boal tickets amongst us peons, even if the total cost to buy the IUP tickets is more than the Penn State tickets LOL

Comment

1) the schools don't prioritize the stadiums when asking for state construction money

Penn State can blast state funding in its alumni magazine and provide online ways to contact legislators to advocate for funding. They also have Penn State lobby days in Harrisburg. Same goes for Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln. Because state dollars to Penn State, Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln are merely handouts there aren't strings on how they're used and can be used to lobby for more. PASSHE as a state entity can't lobby itself or criticize state government for not providing more funding. Yes, there is a state lobby day but their tone has to be MUCH different and the "advocacy days" have to be funded by the separate affiliate groups like SGA or the Alumni Association. Private schools (there are 93 in PA) each have their own lobby days when they send students to Harrisburg and ask for money...for private schools. Private schools can fund this but have to report it on their annual Form 990 tax filing. There is also a third party group, PICU, that represents private colleges and universities and lobbies on their behalf on top of the individual schools.

Everything in this state is backwards. The state higher ed financial aid program actually gives you MORE money if you attend a private school. It incentivizes students to NOT choose the schools the state funds.

Can you somehow tell Josh Shapiro all of this? I can’t imagine he supports this nonsense. If he even knows it’s set up this way at all.

Comment

Believe me I know. My brother and nephew are PSU alums. The Harrisburg TV stations sports segments are all Penn State all the time, despite the fact that several Ship alums have worked at the stations.

Comment

Can you somehow tell Josh Shapiro all of this? I can’t imagine he supports this nonsense. If he even knows it’s set up this way at all.
                          He gave them twice the increase as he gave PASSHE and his daughter goes to Pitt.

Comment

He gave them twice the increase as he gave PASSHE and his daughter goes to Pitt.
                            Ugh.

Comment

Yes, but no more stupid than playing in an empty Heinz Field (I forget the new name). It's more the thrill of the stadium for the players.
                              Not when the crowd is a mere ripple in that stadium. It isn't electric then. And I know. They tried it before.

Cumberland Valley is just fine for the football finals. Good capacity, good facilities. And I'll tell you what else would be a great venue for states: Christy Mathewson Stadium at Bucknell.
                              Last edited by jrshooter; 05-06-2023, 04:39 PM.

Comment

PA state system a travesty…way too many schools and have minimal aspirations regarding winning athletic programs and solid facilities. Compared to other D2 leagues and systems PA struggles. 3 Michigan GLIAC schools state run like the PSAC brood have updated beautiful facilities. I have been to GV, SV and FSU in the last 25 years and all have been improved for the better. I have been at every PSAC state school that plays football and literally every stadium is the same as I saw it in 1995…Unreal to say the least. some EXACTLY the same 27 years later. Presidents and State Board should be embarrassed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X