Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know why QB is different than all of the other positions. The old model seemed to be that a team would recruit a HS kid or two every year, then they would learn the system, get acclimated to college football (and life), and develop. There was seniority involved. Not that a QB in a lower academic class couldn't beat out the players ahead of him but time in the system meant something. Am I missing why that system doesn't work anymore and why it doesn't work for IUP?

Granted, if risk avoidance is a thing then bringing in a transfer QB who has actual experience as a starter elsewhere, or in the case of D1 transfers is just real good, might eliminate some question marks going into the season. Is there less risk in bringing in a transfer QB than the in-house model? Does the upside of who you can get in the transfer market outweigh all other considerations?

Comment

• I saw in the Twitter world that Duane Brown and Gannon QB Kory Curtis participated in Duquesne's Pro Day yesterday.

Hopefully both can catch on in a pro league.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
        I don't know why QB is different than all of the other positions. The old model seemed to be that a team would recruit a HS kid or two every year, then they would learn the system, get acclimated to college football (and life), and develop. There was seniority involved. Not that a QB in a lower academic class couldn't beat out the players ahead of him but time in the system meant something. Am I missing why that system doesn't work anymore and why it doesn't work for IUP?

Granted, if risk avoidance is a thing then bringing in a transfer QB who has actual experience as a starter elsewhere, or in the case of D1 transfers is just real good, might eliminate some question marks going into the season. Is there less risk in bringing in a transfer QB than the in-house model? Does the upside of who you can get in the transfer market outweigh all other considerations?
        Portal changed it all. D2 football today and 10 years ago night and day….Probably not for the better…Other than QB u can probably grab guys that would of been at least FCS kids in the past. A guy like Darius Bruce would of been a sure fire D1 kid, but portal and Covid year caused a new pecking order so he lands at IUP. The key then is to keep guys, Cal has struggled with this so far Tort unscaved.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          I don't know why QB is different than all of the other positions. The old model seemed to be that a team would recruit a HS kid or two every year, then they would learn the system, get acclimated to college football (and life), and develop. There was seniority involved. Not that a QB in a lower academic class couldn't beat out the players ahead of him but time in the system meant something. Am I missing why that system doesn't work anymore and why it doesn't work for IUP?

Short answer: the internet (and society) has changed everything.

You can't sign a high school star QB today and think he's going to sit around for 2-3 years. It just doesn't happen ... (A) if you're honest with them, you just won't be able to sign them, or (B) they'll get redshirted and be in the transfer portal the week after the season ends. Social media builds these kids' egos up so big in high school that they all think they should be in the SEC or Big 10. Most are mad they landed in D2 let alone now being told they likely won't play for 2-3 years.

Quarterback isn't like the other positions. There are far fewer quality options. QB is also a diva position.

The guys Tort lost to the portal (or retirement) this off-season were never going to actually play here (at least not QB). The two younger ones that left ... one was a walk-on and the other was probably getting a crumb. Both were signed late in the cycle. They were both from tiny schools and extreme long-shots. I'd guess they both quickly saw the writing on the wall.

Now, the two they signed this year 'could' be different. These two have legit potential -- and the right size, arm, etc.,) to play at this level. One of them will be gone after the upcoming season. That will work itself out. The catch, obviously, is if Tort signs a transfer in the coming days/weeks who could be here 2-3 years. Karst Hunter, while probably a long shot, has two years' eligibility. Assuming he stays both years, now you're hoping the kid you invested in to be the future will actually stay here and wait. In today's climate, that's not overly likely.

They'll have (5) QBs on the roster this Fall.

1. Not-yet-here Starter
          2. Back-up
          3. Back-up
          4. True Freshman
          5. True Freshman

The No. 2 spot will be a battle between Nico Marchitelli and Mars Hill transfer Blayne Romano. I'd love both Romano and Marchitelli to still be here in the Fall ... but, we'll see. That should be a tight battle. Romano has some potential, however, Marchitelli has been in the system a year.

Getting kids to buy in for the long-term isn't just an IUP issue. This is the state of college sports. The days of kids staying in the program 4-5 years, largely, are long gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            I saw in the Twitter world that Duane Brown and Gannon QB Kory Curtis participated in Duquesne's Pro Day yesterday.

Hopefully both can catch on in a pro league.
            I wish Duane Brown would have come to Shepherd's pro day to catch passes with Bagent. 30 teams represented from the NFL there too. Would have been nice if the PSAC could have rallied around Shepherd having a couple players that would have given everyone else some great exposure, but I guess we don't team up like that. Duane would have been a better option than some of the guys catching passes earlier this week for Bagent. Both would have benefited.

Comment

• [QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;n750111]

Short answer: the internet (and society) has changed everything.

You can't sign a high school star QB today and think he's going to sit around for 2-3 years. It just doesn't happen ... (A) if you're honest with them, you just won't be able to sign them, or (B) they'll get redshirted and be in the transfer portal the week after the season ends. Social media builds these kids' egos up so big in high school that they all think they should be in the SEC or Big 10. Most are mad they landed in D2 let alone now being told they likely won't play for 2-3 years.

Quarterback isn't like the other positions. There are far fewer quality options. QB is also a diva position.

The guys Tort lost to the portal (or retirement) this off-season were never going to actually play here (at least not QB). The two younger ones that left ... one was a walk-on and the other was probably getting a crumb. Both were signed late in the cycle. They were both from tiny schools and extreme long-shots. I'd guess they both quickly saw the writing on the wall.

Now, the two they signed this year 'could' be different. These two have legit potential -- and the right size, arm, etc.,) to play at this level. One of them will be gone after the upcoming season. That will work itself out. The catch, obviously, is if Tort signs a transfer in the coming days/weeks who could be here 2-3 years. Karst Hunter, while probably a long shot, has two years' eligibility. Assuming he stays both years, now you're hoping the kid you invested in to be the future will actually stay here and wait. In today's climate, that's not overly likely.

They'll have (5) QBs on the roster this Fall.

1. Not-yet-here Starter
              2. Back-up
              3. Back-up
              4. True Freshman
              5. True Freshman

The No. 2 spot will be a battle between Nico Marchitelli and Mars Hill transfer Blayne Romano. I'd love both Romano and Marchitelli to still be here in the Fall ... but, we'll see. That should be a tight battle. Romano has some potential, however, Marchitelli has been in the system a year.

Getting kids to buy in for the long-term isn't just an IUP issue. This is the state of college sports. The days of kids staying in the program 4-5 years, largely, are long gone.[/.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I wish Duane Brown would have come to Shepherd's pro day to catch passes with Bagent. 30 teams represented from the NFL there too. Would have been nice if the PSAC could have rallied around Shepherd having a couple players that would have given everyone else some great exposure, but I guess we don't team up like that. Duane would have been a better option than some of the guys catching passes earlier this week for Bagent. Both would have benefited.
                The PSAC should have it's own pro day. There are some good players that need a stage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

The PSAC should have it's own pro day. There are some good players that need a stage.
                  I imagine this has been discussed at one point, so there is (or was) probably a reason there is not one. It may be more beneficial for them to latch on to a local D1 pro day.

Comment

• I’m not sure when this occurred, but Karst Hunter’s Twitter profile bio reads “QB @ IUP”

No formal announcement. No post on Twitter or Instagram. But it’s in his Twitter profile. It looks like, maybe, Karst Hunter just committed to IUP.

Edit…

The more I look at it, I think this is official. Last night he posted… “Told my mama, â€One day, one day, ima be straight.’ Stack all my chips and ima move, far away.”

There is a comment asking if he accepted an offer from IUP. That comment was liked by an assistant coach for IUP.

Comment

I think this would make more sense for basketball than for football. There just aren’t enough NFL caliber guys in the league at any given time to make staging a pro day worth
                      AND not a lot of other options for football players. Most indoor leagues are small-time and while the XFL and USFL are back in some form it’s not clear if they’re going to be stable. The CFL also exists but they seem to prefer foreign imports from the FBS and FCS levels.

In contrast while I don’t think there are any NBA caliber basketball players in the PSAC at a given time there are more options for guys who want to play professionally between the G League and Euro+Asian ball.

Comment

• Tort landed the big dog.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

I think this would make more sense for basketball than for football. There just aren’t enough NFL caliber guys in the league at any given time to make staging a pro day worth
                          AND not a lot of other options for football players. Most indoor leagues are small-time and while the XFL and USFL are back in some form it’s not clear if they’re going to be stable. The CFL also exists but they seem to prefer foreign imports from the FBS and FCS levels.

In contrast while I don’t think there are any NBA caliber basketball players in the PSAC at a given time there are more options for guys who want to play professionally between the G League and Euro+Asian ball.
                          There are no NBA players in the PSAC. Maybe one every 25 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Tort landed the big dog.
                            Whoa. Can they ride this into landing the RMU WR?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Whoa. Can they ride this into landing the RMU WR?
                              He's very much in play along with the West FL RB.

Pair them with the two massive OL transfers and the Stetson TE hybrid ... along with everybody else returning (including Derek Lockhart and Ridley) ... it will be fun to be the OC. Put it that way.

Comment

The PSAC should have its own pro day. There are some good players that need a stage.
                                Then you suddenly remember that The Home Office in Lock Haven sucks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X