Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

Bloomsburg is a curious case when it comes to facilities management. They spent a good amount of money to build a new on-campus apartment building about 5 years ago (named after the former president who oversaw both our highest enrollment ever and a steady decline after) with a mix of regular and suite style apartments over the old University Store and have done a lot of internal renovations to various buildings. Most notably retooling Elwell Hall to serve as the main Residence Life offices and adding common rooms with a lot of seating, tables, and TV to every floor and overhauling Sutliff Hall (where most college of business classes are) with a lot of stone, glass, dark wood, conference rooms, and even a stock ticker. Sutliff’s not the Hilton or anything but it looks more like a business-oriented hotel inside than an academic building; at least outside of the classrooms. On the other hand Schuylkill and Montour Hall dorms haven’t had any major work done in years and a few of the academic buildings like Benjamin Franklin (old), Bakeless Center (confusingly laid out), and Navy Hall (both old and ugly blocky) probably would be better off torn down or renovated. Franklin especially seems pointless since it only houses math and computer science which could probably be moved to either the newer science building (Hartline) or next door to Navy Hall if tearing that down isn’t an option.
    Franklin had a renovation completed in the spring of 2008, and Navy had $4.3 million rehabilitation, which was completed in the spring of 2006. I recall both being taken off the chopping block for historical reasons. Franklin had an elementary school, and Navy hosted naval training programs for flight instructors and officers during WWII, the building was turned over to them to serve as their official headquarters and to provide space for offices, classrooms and storage.

Residential housing has always been a problem due to lack of beds. Now with enrollment declining, that problem has gone away. What you don't see is moth balled dorms or housing scheduled for demolition, as is the case at our sisters schools. In the seventies everyone complained that construction should be planned for housing, instead of relying on the town apartments. Now the town is hurting for tenants, and no dorms have been demolished in over 40 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Franklin had a renovation completed in the spring of 2008, and Navy had $4.3 million rehabilitation, which was completed in the spring of 2006. I recall both being taken off the chopping block for historical reasons. Franklin had an elementary school, and Navy hosted naval training programs for flight instructors and officers during WWII, the building was turned over to them to serve as their official headquarters and to provide space for offices, classrooms and storage.

Residential housing has always been a problem due to lack of beds. Now with enrollment declining, that problem has gone away. What you don't see is moth balled dorms or housing scheduled for demolition, as is the case at our sisters schools. In the seventies everyone complained that construction should be planned for housing, instead of relying on the town apartments. Now the town is hurting for tenants, and no dorms have been demolished in over 40 years.
      Franklin being an elementary school actually explains a lot about its interior layout compared to most of the other buildings. I always thought some of the staircases, hallways, and classroom placements seemed odd. That said I am not a huge fan of it and preferred Old Science out of the two elder buildings still used for classes. Although that may because I took more history electives than math electives.

I didn’t necessarily suggest tearing down the older dorms, more pointing out that a few of them are still very “retro.” When I lived in Kile Apartments (which were off-campus units owned by some housing company that were leased by the university but no longer seem to be so) we had to do our laundry in Schuylkill. The basement sincerely reminded me of the kind of place Robocop would go searching for criminals.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

Franklin being an elementary school actually explains a lot about its interior layout compared to most of the other buildings. I always thought some of the staircases, hallways, and classroom placements seemed odd. That said I am not a huge fan of it and preferred Old Science out of the two elder buildings still used for classes. Although that may because I took more history electives than math electives.

I didn’t necessarily suggest tearing down the older dorms, more pointing out that a few of them are still very “retro.” When I lived in Kile Apartments (which were off-campus units owned by some housing company that were leased by the university but no longer seem to be so) we had to do our laundry in Schuylkill. The basement sincerely reminded me of the kind of place Robocop would go searching for criminals.
        I had most of my classes in Navy in the seventies, and the insides of Navy, Old Science, and Ben Franklin are unrecognizable to me now. The renovations made them more claustrophobic inside.

Kile apartments was purchased by the BU Foundation in 2019.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          IUP's game at Slippery Rock on Sept. 30 will kick off at 6 p.m.
          Somebody needs to sneak in on the 29th and spray paint “Property of IUP” on the stupid rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Somebody needs to sneak in on the 29th and spray paint “Property of IUP” on the stupid rock.
            If Tort goes 3 straight that's a big thing. It hasn't been done too many times in the series.

They get juiced for that trip. All those jackass gym teachers get real excited when the big team visits.

Comment

FYI - Tort's favorite store on campus has nearly all its brand-name merchandise (Nike, etc.) at 40% (or more) off this week and next. It's the annual "we gotta get rid of all this overpriced stuff before the school year ends' sale.

The nice windbreakers that are usually $87 are now in the $40s ...same with the polo shirts and sweatshirts.

Remember, nothing gets that football team more pumped up than looking up in to the bleachers and seeing fans wearing IUP gear from the Co-Op Store.
              Whatever happened to the team flash sales that Nike offered for IUP? That used to be how you could get the team specific branded apparel that you never see in the Co-op store. They just have generic gear there. You could also get the “IUP” logo that only the football team uses. Can’t ever get that anywhere else. They used to do flash sales it seemed like every month for a different team.

Comment

If Tort goes 3 straight that's a big thing. It hasn't been done too many times in the series.

They get juiced for that trip. All those jackass gym teachers get real excited when the big team visits.
                For all of his talk about IUP, Dr Evil didn’t have such a good record vs us. His success came in spurts.

Frank flipped the series in favor of IUP by beating them for over a decade straight!
                Last edited by IUPNation; 04-09-2023, 05:35 AM.

Comment

For all of his talk about IUP, Dr Evil didn’t have such a good record vs us. His success came in spurts.

Frank flipped the series in favor of IUP by beating them for over a decade straight!
                  Less than 50 students total studying phys ed. IUP has more.

Comment

Frank owned Dr. Evil. Their head to head record wasn't even close.

Comment

• Great article in the Indiana gazette on the knew big time transfer Quarterback. I did not realize that Karst Hunter has two years of eligibility remaining as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
                        Great article in the Indiana gazette on the knew big time transfer Quarterback. I did not realize that Karst Hunter has two years of eligibility remaining as well.
                        Yeah, that article is brief but has a lot of good info in it about Spring drills. Of note, Qadir White is out with some knee issues and it sounds like Marshall is holding down that spot on the OL for the time being. Also, because of the abundance of DB's and dearth of RB's Washington is on offense this Spring. Tort says they will be looking for a DT in the portal.

Edit: Come to think of it the QB article and the other article are separate articles.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
                          Great article in the Indiana gazette on the knew big time transfer Quarterback. I did not realize that Karst Hunter has two years of eligibility remaining as well.
                          Yeah well lets not get ahead of ourselves...we thought Sexton was here for two years as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Less than 50 students total studying phys ed. IUP has more.
                            So now we are even better at training the gym teachers than the gym teacher school. IUP is simply the best!
                            Last edited by IUPNation; 04-10-2023, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Slimey Pebble was ahead in the series in the early 80's.

IUP won every game from 1984 through 1996.

Then Dr, Evil got his returns from the IUP Rule and got McKavish and ripped off 3 straight victories before IUP ended that crap with the playoff win in 1999 and won every meeting through 2005.

Then it kind of went back and forth but nobody has run off a long streak.

IUP wins in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2020 and 2021

Slimey wins in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2019.

So since I enrolled in IUP in 1984...we are 27-11 vs the Fighting Gym Teachers.

IUP leads the series 48-39-2.

Comment

Dr. Evil with a serious clown move in the nineties crying to League office about Frank bringing some notoriety to the League. Probably set the League back if it even recovered at all…just sayin.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X