Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Checks aside, I got the impression the kid just wanted to get away. Having lived in the Dakota’s I can tell you it’s…well…awful. His visit here, despite not walking into a pretty stadium like they have at West Texas A&M, was impactful. Living here you sometimes take for granted what IUP and Indiana has to offer. Then there’s whatever magic Tort seems to come up with. It’s impressive.

I’ll give Tort credit. Despite his quotes after last season about just hoping to win the region, he’s not approaching the off-season like it.
    Most Pennsylvania residents tend to underestimate what our state has to offer. When I was in college I had a job pumping gas one summer, and tourists passing through the station would often remark how beautiful they thought the state was. I lived in the Midwest until I was 16 and loved the lake country in Wisconsin and Michigan, but hilly states such as Pennsylvania, particularly with its forested areas, have a charm of their own. And it's not a bad state to retire in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Most Pennsylvania residents tend to underestimate what our state has to offer. When I was in college I had a job pumping gas one summer, and tourists passing through the station would often remark how beautiful they thought the state was. I lived in the Midwest until I was 16 and loved the lake country in Wisconsin and Michigan, but hilly states such as Pennsylvania, particularly with its forested areas, have a charm of their own. And it's not a bad state to retire in.
      They had a lot to sell to a QB this year -- and not just Tort's favorite IUP gear from the Co-Op Store.

They'll have a very powerful and massive OL (Sexton may have got hit like twice all of last year). He'll have two stud WRs in Ridley and Lockhart (and one coming off redshirt in Omar Stewart who may light it up this Fall). They are also heavily in the mix for the big 6'5" WR from Robert Morris (terrible team but very good player). They also have speedster Isaiah Houser ready for a breakout season. They have Dayjure Stewart, JD Younger and Adam Houser back at RB. They have a several big target TEs. It should be a pretty fun season to be the IUP QB (and OC).

Hunter has serious wheels, too, for as big as he is. Tort isn't going to go Lenny Williams with him but IUP hasn't had a QB who could take off and be a legit running threat in a long time.

The ripple effect, obviously, is will both signed high school QBs still show up in August.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They had a lot to sell to a QB this year -- and not just Tort's favorite IUP gear from the Co-Op Store.

They'll have a very powerful and massive OL (Sexton may have got hit like twice all of last year). He'll have two stud WRs in Ridley and Lockhart (and one coming off redshirt in Omar Stewart who may light it up this Fall). They are also heavily in the mix for the big 6'5" WR from Robert Morris (terrible team but very good player). They also have speedster Isaiah Houser ready for a breakout season. They have Dayjure Stewart, JD Younger and Adam Houser back at RB. They have a several big target TEs. It should be a pretty fun season to be the IUP QB (and OC).

Hunter has serious wheels, too, for as big as he is. Tort isn't going to go Lenny Williams with him but IUP hasn't had a QB who could take off and be a legit running threat in a long time.

The ripple effect, obviously, is will both signed high school QBs still show up in August.
        Sigh, and I guess the folks at Ship decided playing you guys and Shepherd wasn't bad enough this season, so we added Newberry to the schedule. I can see why Homecoming was scheduled late with Lock Haven this season.

Comment

• Glad that Karst Hunter finally made his decision and can now move on with things. Northern State (SD) seemed like the likely landing spot for him (all things considered) and they have NIL $$ that not a lot do at this level. When it came down to it....I think Hunter wanted to get out of the shadow of South Dakota State (where he started his collegiate journey) to a place that has shown the best chance to get him a shot at a ring. Hunter is still friends with his ex-teammates at SDSU and this gives him a chance to forge his own path outside of the boundaries of the state of South Dakota.

Northern State and WT haven't seen the playoffs in the modern window of D2 football while IUP has and were a game away from the final four a year ago. I think that matters here quite a bit. Hunter was close to the playoffs as a starting frosh at Mesa in 2021..but they narrowly missed the dance in a 8-2 campaign (lower SOS) in which they beat CO Mines. I felt he shined more in that season than in this last one with a new regime and challenged ballclub.

Keep in mind, Hunter is an athlete first..who plays quarterback. He will likely make equal amount of plays with his feet than he will through the air..if used properly. He's run in a Josh Allen style..big guy with wheels who won't shy away from contact.

Some video of him can be seen here.
          https://www.hudl.com/profile/16095234/karst-hunter

Not that they weren't already..but the Hawks will be a team to watch for certain.

Comment

• I'm assuming they aren't having a Spring Game this year as the participant list is pretty low in numbers. Between guys recovering from injuries to players sitting out Spring to save the semester of eligibility (along with no freshmen here yet) it probably wouldn't be much of a game (not that they normally are anyway).

Comment

And they are close to signing the WF RB who could be a serious weapon similar to Rocket Williams. We shall see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

And they are close to signing the WF RB who could be a serious weapon similar to Rocket Williams. We shall see.
                Rumor is they think he's going to sign.

That's big because I'm pretty concerned with Dayjure Stewart. Just following the timeline (they've never actually said what happened to him although we all know the play in the first Shepherd game he got hurt) ... Tort said he had surgery the first week of January. That means on Sept. 1 he'll be (8) months post-surgery. Tort has already publicly said he thinks Stewart will miss at least the first 'couple' games.

Based on that lengthy recovery time, it's probably safe to at least 'assume' he had an ACL or MCL tear. Basketball players have a hard time (mentally) coming back from that in 8-10 months. It has to be much worse (mentally) for a running back. I'm actually questioning if we'll see him at all this season -- hence adding the WF RB to go along with Houser and Younger. If Stewart was actually in the plans for the '23 season, why spend the money on a fourth RB when it could be spent elsewhere?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                  Glad that Karst Hunter finally made his decision and can now move on with things. Northern State (SD) seemed like the likely landing spot for him (all things considered) and they have NIL $$ that not a lot do at this level. When it came down to it....I think Hunter wanted to get out of the shadow of South Dakota State (where he started his collegiate journey) to a place that has shown the best chance to get him a shot at a ring. Hunter is still friends with his ex-teammates at SDSU and this gives him a chance to forge his own path outside of the boundaries of the state of South Dakota.

Northern State and WT haven't seen the playoffs in the modern window of D2 football while IUP has and were a game away from the final four a year ago. I think that matters here quite a bit. Hunter was close to the playoffs as a starting frosh at Mesa in 2021..but they narrowly missed the dance in a 8-2 campaign (lower SOS) in which they beat CO Mines. I felt he shined more in that season than in this last one with a new regime and challenged ballclub.

Keep in mind, Hunter is an athlete first..who plays quarterback. He will likely make equal amount of plays with his feet than he will through the air..if used properly. He's run in a Josh Allen style..big guy with wheels who won't shy away from contact.

Not that they weren't already..but the Hawks will be a team to watch for certain.
                  Thanks for the intel Matt…Seen this kid listed from 6’3 and above . Is he really 6’5?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    Glad that Karst Hunter finally made his decision and can now move on with things. Northern State (SD) seemed like the likely landing spot for him (all things considered) and they have NIL $$ that not a lot do at this level. When it came down to it....I think Hunter wanted to get out of the shadow of South Dakota State (where he started his collegiate journey) to a place that has shown the best chance to get him a shot at a ring. Hunter is still friends with his ex-teammates at SDSU and this gives him a chance to forge his own path outside of the boundaries of the state of South Dakota.

His original coach at CM I believe left for the Valdosta job, curious to know or why he didn’t take Hunter with him to VSU unless my timelines are off, Matt?

Comment

His original coach at CM I believe left for the Valdosta job, curious to know or why he didn’t take Hunter with him to VSU unless my timelines are off, Matt?
                      Ivory Durham

Comment

Thanks for the intel Matt…Seen this kid listed from 6’3 and above . Is he really 6’5?
                        They have em listed here as 6'4..which sounds about right. I've never stood next to him and physically measure him, if that's what yer askin..as that might be awkward for all involved..

As seem here..it's built more like a tight end than a QB..but runs well.

Comment

• FYI - Tort's favorite store on campus has nearly all its brand-name merchandise (Nike, etc.) at 40% (or more) off this week and next. It's the annual "we gotta get rid of all this overpriced stuff before the school year ends' sale.

The nice windbreakers that are usually $87 are now in the $40s ...same with the polo shirts and sweatshirts.

Remember, nothing gets that football team more pumped up than looking up in to the bleachers and seeing fans wearing IUP gear from the Co-Op Store.

Comment

FYI - Tort's favorite store on campus has nearly all its brand-name merchandise (Nike, etc.) at 40% (or more) off this week and next. It's the annual "we gotta get rid of all this overpriced stuff before the school year ends' sale.

The nice windbreakers that are usually $87 are now in the $40s ...same with the polo shirts and sweatshirts.

Remember, nothing gets that football team more pumped up than looking up in to the bleachers and seeing fans wearing IUP gear from the Co-Op Store.
                            Where would IUP sports be without the financial support of The Co-op Store for the last several decades?

Comment

FYI - Tort's favorite store on campus has nearly all its brand-name merchandise (Nike, etc.) at 40% (or more) off this week and next. It's the annual "we gotta get rid of all this overpriced stuff before the school year ends' sale.

If they ever do a clearance on a particular name brand (like Nike) then you know the school is signing a new uniform deal.

Comment

• The friggen fence that surrounds The Cig now is seen in this from 47 years ago.

Dr. Driscoll...tear down that fence!!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X